MD 3.93c 4.00s 78-88%MCAT School List NEED HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bahoovo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.93c, 4.00s
MCAT: 78-88th percentile overall
PS, BS, - 85-100%
CARS - 53-68%
Psych/Soc 61-76%

• Economics Major, Biology and Chemistry Minor
  • Kentucky Resident
  • Small Liberal Arts College in Kentucky
  • Pakistani Male, but born and raised in US
  • Senior in Undergrad
  • Both parents are doctors

MCAT is the weakest part of my application in my opinion. Honestly, I feel I really dropped the ball with this test. I had always been a strong standardized test taker, (35 ACT and 99th percentile on both the ACS general chemistry and organic chemistry), and I prepared through Kaplan's online course for nearly six months rather religiously. The CARS section of every practice was always my best section, and I don't really know what happened here. As far as Psych/Soc goes, I don't want to make excuses but there was quite a bit of content left out by Kaplan so next time I will use AAMC content list. Currently debating a retake or not because I feel I can do better, however I feel my bio/biochem was kind of a fluke because I have not yet taken Biochemistry. Any advice would be appreciated!

EC's

• University of Kentucky Transplant Center- No publication yet, but working through summer. Fingers crossed!
  • Awards/Honor Societies-ODE (econ honor society), ODK (Leadership honor society), Rara Avis award (awarded to most distinguished Econ major in every class)
  • Taught a month long Freshman orientation course
  • Shadowed a physician in Cuba for a month (had special education visa. Legal I promise!)
  • Shadowing Oncologist
  • Put together a Hunger Banquet
  • Single handedly put together an International Minority Violence Seminar where hundreds of people attended, distinguished members of academia in various fields came from across the nation to speak.
  • Worked as a paid employee in Marketing Department of Rural Hospital. Got to shadow a lot of different specialities.
  • Data Analyst for international philanthropic organization that works to cure preventable eye disease. Have been to Ghana, Pakistan, Iraq to assist with eye camps
  • Raised $20,000 for Hazara people in Quetta.
  • Taught employees in how to use excel and word in a new hospital in Iraq that family started.
  • Worked with Lions Club international to set up an eye clinic in a rural village in Pakistan.
  • Capitan of DIII Collegiate tennis team
  • Youth Leader for an Iraqi Refugee Center of both Gulf Wars.
I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to travel to over 25 different countries, sometimes being able to work in the healthcare system in these foreign nations. That is definitely the focus of my application and personal statement, and I hope this gives me a unique angle in this process.

LOR
1: my pre-health committee letter. Applicants are rated 1-5, and thankfully I got a 5. 90% of our applicants get into medical school with a recommendation, (anything higher than a 3 rating). A 5 is pretty rare, and is usually given once every couple years. I'm really banking on this helping me out!
2: President of World Sight Now, the international Eye Disease Organization I was data analyst for.
3: Oncologist I shadowed.

School List

Duke
Emory
Harvard
Indiana
Georgia
Miami
Toledo
Alabama
Florida
Kentucky
Louisville
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Wake Forrest
Vandy

As you can see, I had some pretty lofty aspirations for some of the schools I applied to. My real question here is, do you think I am competitive for Vandy? It has been my dream school for a long time. Duke or Emory would be pretty cool to :). However, if any of those don't work out, I was thinking Kentucky or Louisville because they are close to home. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated! Also, do you think it would be wise to retake MCAT this cycle to be more competitive for Vandy or is that too risky?

Sorry for any grammar or spelling errors!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't want to complain, but I feel like everybody else's What Are My Chances Threads are getting more love than me... lol

You should apply as if you had a 31 MCAT.
I count 4 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview (if you mean FSU by Florida).
You should get the MSAR and identify more private schools with median scores near yours.
Your chances are good IS, though.

Some of us had to work today!