MD & DO 3.94/505/TX/URM. WAMC: Help me decide on TX school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadMax2018

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM-Mexican-American, Tx resident
CGPA 3.94
SGPA 3.87
MCAT 505
(1st time taker, probably will retake (?) only had a couple of months to study and was working and studying full time)
Application submitted mid May for this cycle and has been processed. Realistically, which MD schools should I apply to? And, all DO schools?
I'm trying to be realistic about my chances and prepare myself mentally to start studying for MCAT again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you applying only to the Texas MD and DO schools ? You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools since they like applicants with high GPAs.

Are you applying only to the Texas MD and DO schools ? You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools since they like applicants with high GPAs.
Yes, only Texas schools. Do you think I have a shot at an MD school as I was hesitant to apply to UTHSCA and others that require a higher MCAT score. I was going to wait to apply next year but one of the Admins I speak to encouraged me to apply this year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Faha, would it look bad if I don't apply to MD schools I feel my MCAT is too weak for? Basically, all the MD schools like UTHSC, McGovern, Baylor, UTMB, Dell etc... I think the only MD schools I may have a shot at is Rio Grande and maybe Texas Tech plus the DO schools? I interview very well so I'm hoping I at least get a shot to interview at the the two MD schools but feel my stat is too low for a serious consideration at the other schools. What do you think?

Faha, would it look bad if I don't apply to MD schools I feel my MCAT is too weak for? Basically, all the MD schools like UTHSC, McGovern, Baylor, UTMB, Dell etc... I think the only MD schools I may have a shot at is Rio Grande and maybe Texas Tech plus the DO schools? I interview very well so I'm hoping I at least get a shot to interview at the the two MD schools but feel my stat is too low for a serious consideration at the other schools. What do you think?
Apply to all your Texas MD schools. They are all looking for Mexican American applicants. You could be interviewed at any of them.

Reactions: 1 user