3.94/516/URM. Medical School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd1016

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys currently in the process of crafting a school list and I am a bit lost. I definitely would love to have success this cycle and would love any input or insight you can provide. I have attached my list so far, my goal is to apply to 30 schools or so. I would have to minimize this list, if advised to add more I would defiitely do so. @Goro @LizzyM @Faha

• Undergraduate career: 2 year at a community college then transferred to private university for the remaining undergrad career
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.94
  • Science GPA: 3.91
  • MCAT Score(s) (in order of attempts): First attempt 506, Second attempt 516
  • URM? (Y/N): Yes Hispanic
Extracurricular Background:
  • Research experience: Chemistry lab with 1300 hours and 2 posters; Cardiology lab 681 hours and Honor thesis; alzheimers poster presented at Alzheimers Conference through my undergrad organization
  • Clinical experience: Oncology medical scribe 2000+ hrs, mental health community clinic psychology volunteer 900+ hrs, childrens hospital volunteer 250 hrs+
  • Physician shadowing: ~140 hrs
  • Non-clinical volunteering: International human rights organization, summer zika outreach project educating underserved communities, food distributions, seeking impoverished comunities to providing them with health related information and contact on cost-free clinics through my club 600hrs+
  • Other extracurricular activities: Vice President of a science organization, organized health awareness events in and out of campus
  • Employment history: medical scribe, tutor for tutoring company, covid 19 screener, LA chemistry
  • Focus: helping underserved, and impoverished communities through both service and research

School list
U Miami
FIU
UF
UCF
FAU
NOVA
USF
FSU
Duke
Harvard
Columbia
Cornell
Mayo
Yale
Mount Sinai
Emory
Darthmouth
University of Wisconsin
Loyola
Tufts
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
UMass
BU
Brown
UMich
Saint Louis
Ohio State
NYU Long Island
Georgetown
Jefferson
U VM
ADD:

UCSF
KECK
UCLA
EINSTEIN
HOFSTRA
ROCHESTER
DARTMOUTH

My suggestions above

Thank you so much for your suggestions @Goro! I will add them, is there any in particular from my list you would recommend taking out?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could remove some of the state public schools on your list such as U Illinois (can you afford the non resident tuition), U Wisconsin, Maryland, UNC (accepts few non residents). You could add any of these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
USC Keck

Thank you so much I will remove those and supplant those with your suggestions!

Do you think the rest of my list looks good? In terms of "safety" and target or should I add more of those?

You want to shorten your list. The first step should be to buy access to MSAR. With your work experience, grades, scores and life experience, you should be able to apply almost anywhere but you might want to cross off any schools that do not accept community college credits. The MSAR will have that information.
Next, take a look at the demographics of the locations of each school. Where do you have family or other social support networks? What is the out of state cost of each school (terrible to get admitted and have sticker shock when you realize that some schools soak OOS students.) How far away will you be from your closest family and what will it take to "go home". I'm always reminded of the difficulties after 9/11 as air travel was shut down for weeks.

Consider whether you want to write a thesis or otherwise engage in required medical research. Eliminate schools that require a theisis or those that don't depending on your preference.

Think about how much you need the motivation of grades. Consider whether you'll prefer pass/fail first and second year or if you'd rather go to schools that have a grading system during the "pre-clinical" period.

Are you interested in training in a community with a large Hispanic population or does it not matter. You can find information on the demotraphics of the cities where schools are located. I like city-data Here's the link for Rochester, MN.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Are you fluent in Spanish?
Are you from IL? If not think about removing UofI. Their OOS tuition is over the top expensive- might be highest in the US.
Good luck.

Thank you so much I will remove those and supplant those with your suggestions!

Do you think the rest of my list looks good? In terms of "safety" and target or should I add more of those
You should receive many interviews from the other schools on your list.

Thank you @Goro and @Faha , can you share your reasons for recommending to take drexel and beaumont out and leaving loyola?

Also why Im curious as to your advice to add CA schools, initially me being from FL and knowing how competitive they seem to be did not really even consider them as a possibility. Thanks in advance!