MD 3.94cGPA/3.91sGPA/37 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asrw77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd throw in 2 or 3 more 'safety' schools just to be safe, but I'm cautious when it comes to apps. Maybe places like SLU or MCOW since they're urban areas near IL. Otherwise your list looks okay, especially with your profile. I'd also say to drop SIU unless you want to practice rural medicine.

@Stagg737 Good advice, thanks! Was iffy on SIU. I'm taking out SIU and adding SLU and MCW.

Also, in general, anybody have any advice in terms of what I could continue to work on over this year?

Anything that will keep you busy and show you're being productive. If you're shooting for top tier, continuing with research and getting more pubs is always a plus, or if you can get a clinical position I'd imagine it would also be seen positively. From what I've been told though, anything where you are gaining experience and making a significant contribution towards something will not be seen negatively. If I had stats like yours I'd try and find a job that pays well and save up some money to keep your future med school loans down or pay off any loans you have right now. Again though, that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent application. I'd add Einstein and Rochester as mid-tiers. Case Western and Sinai are other "reaches" (really "targets" for you) that I'd look into. But either way your list is good.

And do whatever interests you in your gap year in terms of employment or activities; you generally want to stay productive in some way.

Thanks for all the help! Should I also throw an application at UCLA? I love California but unfortunately know how crazy the competition for med schools there is. UCLA highly recommends Spanish which is why I am omitting it as of now.

Yea but your application is beast. You could probably get into a lot of the California MD schools.

Thanks for all the help! Should I also throw an application at UCLA? I love California but unfortunately know how crazy the competition for med schools there is. UCLA highly recommends Spanish which is why I am omitting it as of now.

Add it if you want it.

You're golden; aim high!
Suggest considering Hofstra, U Miami, WashU, Baylor, UTxSW, Sinai, BU, Einstein, SUNY DS, U IA, IU, U Cincy, U WI

delete SIU if you're not from souther IL.

Current List: would prefer urban campuses
Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Duke, UChicago
UMich, NYU, Vandy, Pitt, UCSD, Cornell, Northwestern
Emory, UVA, USC
Rush, Loyola, UIC, SIU

looks really good, would be very surprised if you didn't get in somewhere with that list !

Restaurant gig sounds way cooler. With an app like yours you can do whatever you want.