3.95, 34p, August Applicant? Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation. It concerns the August MCAT and medical school applications. I know the April vs August thing has been debated over and over, but I am wondering if you would help me in my case.

I have tried to prepare for this MCAT myself, and I have failed. I don't like failing anything, but I will admit that I over estimated my ability to do well on this exam. I am not ready to take it. My practice tests have ranged from 25-29, not even close to where i want to be. I am close, but there are about 10 points a section that I am missing when I shouldn't be. Easy stuff, just not familiar with the exam yet. For example: i don't know all the physics or chem formulas, i don't know my hormones, divisions of the nervous system, or digestive stuff. Little things that can be fixed with more time studying.

Now is when you have to play the game with me. I am a biochem major, with a bio minor, I have a 3.95GPA and I am a member of my Div 1 baseball team. I was just recently named top biochem student in the school. I have shadowed doctors, work for a cranio facial pain doctor, done some volenteer work, tutored, coached kids, and I will be doing research this summer. From what I am tell, I am doing what is required to get into medical school.

My problem is this, I know that I can get a 34 on the August MCAT. BUT It is going to push my application way back. I am set on attending UTSW in dallas for medschool(I called them and they said that they have a 33MCAT cutoff for outofstate students). Financialy, geographically and romantically (my girlfriend goes to law school in dallas) it is a perfect fit for me. The education is very good and I like the people involved.

Is delaying my application going to hurt me so much that I should gamble and take the mcat this week (and get about a 29, which will NOT get me into my school) or should I wait, kill the august test and hope that my application delay will be offset by the rest of my overall application.

Will applying late, (not applying late, i will still submit my app asap, but they will have to wait for my mcat score) hurt me so much that I will have no chnace?

Members don't see this ad.

jarrod_dale said:
Here is my situation. It concerns the August MCAT and medical school applications. I know the April vs August thing has been debated over and over, but I am wondering if you would help me in my case.

I have tried to prepare for this MCAT myself, and I have failed. I don't like failing anything, but I will admit that I over estimated my ability to do well on this exam. I am not ready to take it. My practice tests have ranged from 25-29, not even close to where i want to be. I am close, but there are about 10 points a section that I am missing when I shouldn't be. Easy stuff, just not familiar with the exam yet. For example: i don't know all the physics or chem formulas, i don't know my hormones, divisions of the nervous system, or digestive stuff. Little things that can be fixed with more time studying.

Now is when you have to play the game with me. I am a biochem major, with a bio minor, I have a 3.95GPA and I am a member of my Div 1 baseball team. I was just recently named top biochem student in the school. I have shadowed doctors, work for a cranio facial pain doctor, done some volenteer work, tutored, coached kids, and I will be doing research this summer. From what I am tell, I am doing what is required to get into medical school.

My problem is this, I know that I can get a 34 on the August MCAT. BUT It is going to push my application way back. I am set on attending UTSW in dallas for medschool(I called them and they said that they have a 33MCAT cutoff for outofstate students). Financialy, geographically and romantically (my girlfriend goes to law school in dallas) it is a perfect fit for me. The education is very good and I like the people involved.

Is delaying my application going to hurt me so much that I should gamble and take the mcat this week (and get about a 29, which will NOT get me into my school) or should I wait, kill the august test and hope that my application delay will be offset by the rest of my overall application.

Will applying late, (not applying late, i will still submit my app asap, but they will have to wait for my mcat score) hurt me so much that I will have no chnace?

You KNOW you're gonna get a 34? How is that possible to predict? If you're that sure (and I dont know how you can be), then wait. But your 3.9/29 will get you in plenty of schools.

Edit: I missed the UTSW part. If you MUST be with your GF, then it is simple, wait for the august test. gluck.

jarrod_dale said:

Well, this is easy. Take it in August and apply to UTSW and some other top choices and if you don't get in, apply again the following year and hopefully you can get into UTSW then. But, your girlfriend will be studying for the Bar by then I guess. I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like you definitely shouldn't be taking it Saturday though. What choice do you have here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to TX system with Aug MCAT is a little difficult since they are on the match system. Many TX schools finish interviewing in December. All are done by the 1st week in Jan. With an Aug MCAT, there arent too many reviews that your application will go through. I turned mine in a little late---1st of October. Add on 1 month for processing, subtract 1 month advance notice leaving only 1 month, November for my app to be reviewed.

Also, note that TX state schools can only have a maximum of 10% out of state matriculants.

jarrod_dale said:

Taking it in August is a disadvantage. However, it's not at all an application killer. In particular, if you submit your AMCAS application by August/beginning of September and do the secondaries at the numerous schools that send non-selective secondaries to everyone, you can very easily have your app in review by the first week of October, which is not much of a disadvantage at all. Also, realize, that you can add schools to your AMCAS app after initial submission. So, have it done by beginning of September, pick one random school and submit it to that school. This will get the thing processed by the beginning of October. Then, when you get your MCAT score at the beginning of October, you can just add schools and, since your application will already have been processed, AMCAS will transit the app within a couple of days.

Yeah, while there are some variations, they told me that:
INSTATE: gpa > 3.6 and MCAT greater than or equal to 31 will get you an interview.
OUTOFSTATE: gpa >3.6 and MCAT of 33 or greater.

Those are the general guidelines for how they determine the interviews. I am sure there are other factors that can influence their decision to offer an interveiw or not, but the majority of people will meet those requirements.

As far as me "knowing" I can get a 34. I would bet my car, and that is the biggest thing I own, that I score that high after studying and possibly taking a course this summer. Right now, I am just not familiar with the test. My last practice test(6R) was 9,10,9 and I was 3,3, and 1 question from moving up a level in each. Upon reveiw, I missed several easy questions that I shouldn't have missed. For example, I missed seven physics questions that had to deal with simple formula rearrangement.

docmemi said:
33 cutoff! :eek:

For some reason, I doubt that they actually cut you off at 33. Do you have good EC's? Life experiences? What else do you have going for you?

Either way, don't take it Saturday!

jarrod_dale said:
INSTATE: gpa > 3.6 and MCAT greater than or equal to 31 will get you an interview.

Those are the general guidelines for how they determine the interviews. I am sure there are other factors that can influence their decision to offer an interveiw or not, but the majority of people will meet those requirements.

As far as me "knowing" I can get a 34. I would bet my car, and that is the biggest thing I own, that I score that high after studying and possibly taking a course this summer. Right now, I am just not familiar with the test. My last practice test was 9,10,10 and I was 2,2 and 1 question from moving up a level in each. Upon reveiw, I missed several easy questions that I shouldn't have missed.

i think you should take it when you know youll do best. (i dont think prep courses are that great). you got to answer this...how worth is utsw? are you planning on marrying your gf? i dont think its worth risking your chances and having to reapply again. do better and more doors will open for you. what is utsw's take on the aug mcat??

I am willing to wait a year to attend this school. My girl is starting law school this fall, so she will be there for three more years. If I do have to wait a year, it might actually be a good thing, because i will get a jod in dallas, and therfore establish TX residency for the year, and it will be that much easier to get in. I am putting all of my eggs in one basket. Yes, I plan on marrying this girl.

i dont know bout those guidelines....i dont know if they are really THAT strict about those numbers but people below those numbers still get interviews to SW and other texas schools as well. Obviously you being an out of state applicant makes it much tougher...and perhaps they might stick to their guidelines a little bit closer for those applicants.

if you can get the mcat you say you can...and with the tx schools matching in feb...i am sure that they will get to your file as fast as they can cause they have a deadline to fill as well. thus maybe the august mcat wont hurt you too much...if you can score high.

now for the other allo schools...who knows? there are people with good experiences, many with bad...

I understand that this test is tricky. That is why I am going to take to time to learn how it works. Right now, everything still seems foriegn to me. I learn much better when people teach me, as compared to reading from a book. That is why I am thinking about taking the course. I tried the EK Home Study schedule, and I am not ready. Part of the reason for that is not beign able to take full length practice tests because of baseball. I have looked at the tpr review books from the course, and they are a much better fit for me. I like how they lecture, and then show examples of potential problems with the solutions right there. Ek just flips a couple of questions at you after you read for a while.

I know that this test is a beast, and I am not saying a 34 will be easy, but I think I can I think I can I think I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds much better. take the aug mcat (youll need to get a 31 then only. and with your gpa, awards and ec's youll do fine in the process) and work a year to establish your residency (you sure youll become a resident that way?). i think this will be even better if you do research or something at utsw in that year....make some contacts with imp people and get a rec letter from someone. then you totally increase your chances.

now, only only i would do this if you are certain this is the girl youll marry and shes okay with the extra year thing. you dont mind with the extra year thing? are you graduating this semester or next spring?

all this planning btw is for you to go to utsw. are you 100% this is the ONLY place you want to go? i used to ONLY want to go to USC when i started the process, but good thing i kept my options open or else i would of missed out.

jarrod_dale said:
I understand that this test is tricky. That is why I am going to take to time to learn how it works. Right now, everything still seems foriegn to me. I learn much better when people teach me, as compared to reading from a book. That is why I am thinking about taking the course. I tried the EK Home Study schedule, and I am not ready. Part of the reason for that is not beign able to take full length practice tests because of baseball. I have looked at the tpr review books from the course, and they are a much better fit for me. I like how they lecture, and then show examples of potential problems with the solutions right there. Ek just flips a couple of questions at you after you read for a while.

I know that this test is a beast, and I am not saying a 34 will be easy, but I think I can I think I can I think I can.

TPR is mainly a review course imo...they relecture you on all your pre-reqs. not much test taking is taught. EK is pretty good at only telling you what you need to know. TPR seemed mostly a review of everything. i dont really like them. but thats a whole other story.

the way the texas match application works -- i don't think an april mcat is necessary to be "competitive" for UTSW.

take in august is what i'd do.

It's funny, I hear this excuse so often at Kaplan. Students come in with high GPA's (3.9+) and excellent resumes, and they automatically assume that they'll rock the MCAT. Inevitably they can't believe that they continue to score in the mid to upper twenties, that they aren't earning 35+ scores consistently. In light of their academic background they attribute the failure to excel on this exam to "stupid errors" or "lack of knowledge" or "spending too much time on certain questions." I can't tell you how many times I've heard these excuses. Most of the time they're just BS to cover up insecurities and feelings of self-entitlement--an inability to cope with failure. If you "know" that you can earn a 34, you might be setting yourself up for a tremendous disappointment this August. Believe it or not, the MCAT occasionally deflates big egos--even model students bomb the real thing.

jarrod_dale said:

As far as me "knowing" I can get a 34. I would bet my car, and that is the biggest thing I own, that I score that high after studying and possibly taking a course this summer. Right now, I am just not familiar with the test. My last practice test(6R) was 9,10,9 and I was 3,3, and 1 question from moving up a level in each. Upon reveiw, I missed several easy questions that I shouldn't have missed. For example, I missed seven physics questions that had to deal with simple formula rearrangement.

Studying all summer will definitely make that 34 dream a real possibility. Take lots of practice tests. If you only got 28 on an AAMC you're in deep sh1t. You should be getting 35-36 on AAMC's if you want a 34 on the real thing. Either way, you are going to have a real long, boring summer studying.

Bet me I can't do it. I dare you.

If you read the post, you will notice that I did come into this thing thinking I was going to rock it. I thought it would be just another test. I was wrong and I say this in the original post. I fully admitted in the original post that I failed at my first solo attempt. I do not think I am entitiled to anything that I do not work for. But if you was to challenge me that I can't score a 34 of the real deal, I welcome it.

When I refer to my errors as being stupid, I genuinely think they are. Most of them are becasue I do not fully understand the material. Some of them are "stupid" mistakes, like not remembering to balance the equation before I figure out my mole ratios. On the other hand, this test is just a test, if you know what you are doing, you will score well. Right now, I don't know what I am doing.

Are there other schools around your girlfriend's law school that you could attend? Schools within commuting distance should definitely be considered as they would take some pressure off counting on just one school. And remember, she'll be done before you start your clinicals, so it might only be two years that you'd have to consider.

I can't speak to the situation in Texas, but in general, I think taking the August MCAT is really not as disadvantageous as every seems to think it is. If you're a poor applicant and a procrastinator, it might be, but if your prompt, articulate and a good student, it's not really going to hurt you. Good luck.

I also want to know how you know you're getting a 34. :confused: But if you're confident, and feel well-prepared, more power to you!

I would think your outstanding GPA and NCAA Division I sports would really help you out. Good luck, either way!

Thanks man. I have looked into other schools, but in Texas, they don't really accept applicants like me. (Not only am I out of state, I am international) Baylor is the exception, but I don't like Huston.

Dallas is just the perfect fit for me for many reasons, not just the girl. We decided to do this together, she applied to law school in dallas, and now I have to do my part. I really like the school, the opprotuinites are great, the price is unbeatable, and I have family in the area.

I am going to work like mad to do as well as I can. It boils down to not feeling as prepared as I could. I know I could take the mcat this weekend, but I would be doing myself a disservice because I know, mentally, emotionally, and physically, I am not ready for it.

I had almost the exact same stats as you say you're planning on having and I got an interview at UTSW from out-of-state. And I took the August MCAT. I filled out their secondary at the last minute and they actually mailed out my interview invitation before I submitted the secondary. So late application doesn't matter. With all of your EC's you probably have a good chance. Be ready to talk about your EC's b/c they will not focus on your grades in the interview, they know you're good if you're there.

Yes, they can only accept 10% out of state (for any Texas school) but keep in mind that MD/PhD students do not count under the law. So that means that if they have a class size of 220 and 10 are out-of-state MD/PhD, they can still take 22 out-of-state straight MD. I don't know if I would have actually been accepted with my stats b/c I ranked another school higher and got in. For you, it sounds like it all comes down to your MCAT. WAIT UNTIL AUGUST!!!

vr4nut said:
I had almost the exact same stats as you say you're planning on having and I got an interview at UTSW from out-of-state. And I took the August MCAT. I filled out their secondary at the last minute and they actually mailed out my interview invitation before I submitted the secondary. So late application doesn't matter. With all of your EC's you probably have a good chance. Be ready to talk about your EC's b/c they will not focus on your grades in the interview, they know you're good if you're there.

Yes, they can only accept 10% out of state (for any Texas school) but keep in mind that MD/PhD students do not count under the law. So that means that if they have a class size of 220 and 10 are out-of-state MD/PhD, they can still take 22 out-of-state straight MD. I don't know if I would have actually been accepted with my stats b/c I ranked another school higher and got in. For you, it sounds like it all comes down to your MCAT. WAIT UNTIL AUGUST!!!

Awsome, you are just the person I have been looking for. I know that everyone is different, but I just wanted to know it is possible. Thanks so much. Can you pm me or just post on here what you got on the mcat?

I thought that I explained why I think I can get a thirty four, but I will try again.

First, I have faith in the lord above and in myself. Right now, I don't have the confidence to go in there and take a proactive approach. I am a competant person, (even though I have trouble spelling) and I am confident, that when i am prepared, I have the ability to compete with those who are scoring that high. Right now, I am not mentally, physically or emotionally ready to tackle this test. Would you take the mcat if you knew you weren't ready?

That being said, I am going to work very hard and whatever happens, happens. (weird sentence) I trust myself and I know that with the hard work, I can do this.

Well the only way this is possible is if you do massive repetition of passages. Like passages. Breath passages. Be passages. OK, just joking. But seriously, you'll need something like Princeton Review or EK stuff and do it over and over again for about 12 weeks (every day) and then you probably can pull the sciences into the 10-11 range. Verbal increase beyond 9 is impossible unless you start reading all the time, at least 200 pages a day, nonfiction and fiction (look at Princeton Review for what kind of material is good) and try and periodically think about what is being said in the reading. Basically, like baseball practice where you hone your coordination centers of your brain, you will hone your associative parts of your brain through repetition and thinking. You have to increase the efficiency of how you _think_. That's why verbal is such a monster. Btw I had a 10+ point increase from day one to day MCAT (via a course, and practice). So you definitely can improve.

Be careful about listening to Vr4Nut's advice. There is no substitute for getting your application in early! I don't know about schools in Texas, but I applied late and in one of my interviews, the gentleman actually told me that I had great stats but I probably wouldn't get in because I applied so late. He said that he hoped to see me again next year applying if I don't get in because I would do well.

Strangely, I got in there.

Interesting to see that a "biochem" major with bio as minor would have any trouble getting 34. I am a nontrad philosophy major and just taking the basic minimum science courses. MCAT questions seems to test very basic simple concepts. Why would a biochem major have any trouble with it? At least you should get 13 or above on bio section and get all chem questions on the physical section. As to verbal that depends on your reading skill and whether English is your first language. English being my third language I'm getting 11-12 on verbal and expecting to get at least above 10 on the real. Man, you should have no problem getting 34 if you brush up on physics. If you have trouble getting 13+ on biological section, I'd seriously question the quality of your school, since you say you are the #1 biochem major there. These stuffs should be elementary to you. It should be like me being asked about why Socrates was sentenced to death.

My advice: don't listen to those who say how difficult it is. Listen to those that say it's not really that hard as rumor say. Look, there are plenty who get above 35. Do you think all of them are aliens or borned with some special power? Here is what I hear from a Harvard med grad: "You don't need be a genius to study medicine. You just need be dedicated." One worry I may have is your statement you did all those activities to fulfill the requirements and to "look good" on paper. It could have been more valuable if you did them simply because you wanted to do them and you genuinely enjoyed them. I think the admission people are intelligent enough to see through that, or maybe not.

Blade28 said:
I also want to know how you know you're getting a 34. :confused: But if you're confident, and feel well-prepared, more power to you!

I would think your outstanding GPA and NCAA Division I sports would really help you out. Good luck, either way!

Even if I were scoring in the upper 30's on all my practice tests, I'd still be less than sure that I could get a mid 30's score on the mcat. A couple bad passages or a lapse in concentration can drop a high score pretty easily. But that's just me doubting my own abilities. If your science review to date has been really lacking, you have a shot at a mid 30's score if you can keep your verbal the same or bump it up a point. Sciences are a lot easier to raise vs. verbal, and I think you said you got a 10 on your aamc one. Of course none of us knows what kind of standardized test taker you are either...so it's pretty hard to predict what might happen. In any case, you'll be taking the test in august, and you'll be trying your best. Good luck on it!

i know that most people say that taking the august test puts one at a disadvantage, and i'm guessing it's because one would have to apply late or/and the schools would not known your mcat until say oct. i just wanted to share with you that i did not submit my amcas until late sept and did not finish my secondaries until late december. nevertheless, i did not have any major problems getting interviews. so, from my experience, as long as you do the best that you can, even if that means applying a little later then most people, is what matters more than when you take the exam. good luck.

i wrote the aug mcats and ended up getting rejected from everywhere post secondary except one place. i dunno if that has to do with the late mcat or because my numbers just weren't good enough in general.

Thanks for all the interesting commentary. I will be taking the mcat in aug. I know it puts me at a disadvantage, but it feels right.

To the person who asked if I did my ec's (which aren't very good - other than baseball) strictly to "look good on paper" you are mistaken. Most of those were completed before I had decided on medicine as a career. You don't spend fifteen years of your life working at a sport to look good on paper.

To the OP: don't be too confident. I was scoring 34-35 on the AAMC practice tests, felt great about the real thing, and ended up with a 31. I'm fine with that, and it got me into schools I'm happy with, but just be careful with what you expect.
Good luck.

Man, I am getting flamed for this. (some of it is deserving)

Yes, I am confident but I do not expect a 34 to be handed to me. I know that there are people who go into the test and score much higher than there average practice test, and there are also people who go into the test and score much lower.

The whole thing boils down to this: Take the mcat half assed, or go in and take it in august (hopefully with more confidence) and accept the consequences dealing with applying late.

Yes she is. If you are lucky, maybe you will get to see a pic. lol

But I am going to have to see my karma points go through the roof.

dsblaha said:
Be careful about listening to Vr4Nut's advice. There is no substitute for getting your application in early! I don't know about schools in Texas, but I applied late and in one of my interviews, the gentleman actually told me that I had great stats but I probably wouldn't get in because I applied so late. He said that he hoped to see me again next year applying if I don't get in because I would do well.

Strangely, I got in there.

Well, considering that he has only a few days until the April MCAT and that he hasn't prepared at all, I think it is reasonable to assume that he would do much worse on the April MCAT as opposed to the August MCAT. In his specific case, where the cutoff is a 33, which is about 90th percentile, he's going to need every point he can get. Also his specific school of interest will not hold it against him if he takes the August MCAT. Plus, one can always finish all of the other application materials before the MCAT score is received; it worked for all of my schools anyway. That's what I would do; that's what I DID do. Ultimately the choice is up to him, but he was already leaning towards August anyway. Frankly its too late to encourage people to spend two months studying for this April MCAT!

Of course the best way to go about things is to start preparing for the MCAT heavily the semester that is two years prior to anticipated enrollment in medical school and stick with the MCAT studying and take the April test. Then send out the other application materials as soon as possible.

I answered his specific question because I have dealt with that school and my stats were almost exactly as posted. That will give him a good idea of his chances if that's where he stands. If he wanted purely a debate on April vs August MCAT there are other threads geared towards that.

Also TX doesn't have rolling admissions; its all on the match. UTSW interviews until around 1/17, UTMB does at least through Dec., UTHSCSA ~12/8, Houston I don't know.

Good luck with UTSW, its a magnificent school. Study hard for the MCAT!

jarrod_dale said:
I thought that I explained why I think I can get a thirty four, but I will try again.

First, I have faith in the lord above and in myself. Right now, I don't have the confidence to go in there and take a proactive approach. I am a competant person, (even though I have trouble spelling) and I am confident, that when i am prepared, I have the ability to compete with those who are scoring that high. Right now, I am not mentally, physically or emotionally ready to tackle this test. Would you take the mcat if you knew you weren't ready?

That being said, I am going to work very hard and whatever happens, happens. (weird sentence) I trust myself and I know that with the hard work, I can do this.

This whole time I studied like crazy to try to score high on the MCAT and just now I learn that all it takes is a little prayer? Man, I'm not a religious person but if I had known this from the outset, I wouldn't have wasted 6 weeks of my life studying like crazy for the damn thing. I guess I can use this approach for the Step I's though.

this thread just got ugly

We're forgetting the REAL issue here - it's the overconfidence with the girl that might be scary. What if she falls for a 3rd year law student?

I can think of 4-5 friends who got in to UTSW after taking the August MCAT. I can think of even more who got interviews. It really shouldn't hurt you too much.

Good Luck on your 34. It'll take a lot of work......and some luck.

Curious Tom said:
Look, there are plenty who get above 35.

Hehehe, I just wondered if 3.4% is really "plenty" :D - that's the % of test takers that scored above 35 when looking at the combined April/Aug MCATs.

Thanks all. I have a strong faith and I will defend that until the day I die. But that is not what this thread is all about. Thank you for your opinion, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

And about the "overconfidence with the girl" it is our 3year anniversary today. I couldn't be happier. Also, I don't want to seem stuck up, but I found out today that I received a full scholarship for my final year of undergrad. Good stuff, today was bitter sweet. I realized that I failed at my solo MCAT attempt, but I gained about $15 000 dollars. :)

I don't remember ever feeling confident and really ready for the MCAT. Up until the last day I had doubts and thought about putting it off until the next half of the year. You may feel that you are unready for the April test date, but even in August you may still be jittery. It's nothing to be afraid of, just know you can do it.

jarrod dale, I think you really need to gain a little more insight about this process. Your fixation on *one* out of state school that heavily favors residents of that state is a little weird. Especially since you are an international applicant. You might score a 40 and still have a good shot at not getting into UTSW. Just because they only have 20 or so spots for out of state students.

If you do score 34+ on the mcat, you're going to get into a great school. I just think it will more likely be a school that doesn't give considers int/out of state students more.

If you are really set on utsw what you want to do is find a way to get texas residency.

Curious Tom said:
Interesting to see that a "biochem" major with bio as minor would have any trouble getting 34. I am a nontrad philosophy major and just taking the basic minimum science courses. MCAT questions seems to test very basic simple concepts. Why would a biochem major have any trouble with it? At least you should get 13 or above on bio section and get all chem questions on the physical section. As to verbal that depends on your reading skill and whether English is your first language. English being my third language I'm getting 11-12 on verbal and expecting to get at least above 10 on the real. Man, you should have no problem getting 34 if you brush up on physics. If you have trouble getting 13+ on biological section, I'd seriously question the quality of your school, since you say you are the #1 biochem major there. These stuffs should be elementary to you. It should be like me being asked about why Socrates was sentenced to death.

My advice: don't listen to those who say how difficult it is. Listen to those that say it's not really that hard as rumor say. Look, there are plenty who get above 35. Do you think all of them are aliens or borned with some special power? Here is what I hear from a Harvard med grad: "You don't need be a genius to study medicine. You just need be dedicated." One worry I may have is your statement you did all those activities to fulfill the requirements and to "look good" on paper. It could have been more valuable if you did them simply because you wanted to do them and you genuinely enjoyed them. I think the admission people are intelligent enough to see through that, or maybe not.

Is MCAT like a school test? No. That's why it is hard to get 13 even if you are a biochem major. I've seen plenty of smart people from great schools who don't get 13s. As numbers go higher, it gets harder. MCAT is no joke.

I think you should do August. I am in a similar situation. 3.82 post-bac at City College of NY, law degree (3.4) from UF and double major BA (3.5) from Yale. Lots of ECs, LORs, community work etc. I am shooting for 40 in August but if I get above a 33, I will be happy. I was averaging a 30-33 (really good verbal score-12-13 helps) but in my case, I am taking Physics 2 and Orgo 1 this semester and I wanted more time to focus on the concepts and nail the test. I need each of my sections to be above 10 and right now, my physics isn't. You know yourself. If you are a slacker, the extra time won't help. If you can discipline yourself it will. I spoke to my pre-med adviser and she said just to make sure that I got the AMCAS and secondaries in early (by August) and then I would likely be in good stead for interviews.

I know a lot of people have problems getting into the UT system from out of state. If you plan on working for a year, you should consider becoming a patent agent (they can make great money, 75K plus translating science for lawyers to draft patents).

Good luck.

Jarrod,

I addition to your plans for the August MCAT I would highly recommend talking to the Dean of Admissions at UTSW. Explain the situation regarding your girlfriend and why you want to attend UTSW. I was in a similar situation of being restricted to applying only to one school due to my husband's job location and our desire to stay in our home. Meeting with people at UConn was very helpful to me in preparing my application to be met with success.

Are you engaged to this girl? If you are, referring to her as your fiance implies your intent to marry in the near future and will add validity to your reasons for wishing to attend UTSW. "Girlfriend" can sound very transient to AdComs and admissions deans.

Best of luck.

UTSW is not that strict on their guidlines, I know an individual from my school that got in this year with a 25. I also have heard of another individual who gained admission with a low score this cycle as well.