3.95 cGPA, 3.92 sGPA, MCAT: 508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chubbz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male from Michigan age 21, planning to apply to all in-state schools, will be a Senior at Michigan State University (MSU) next year. Had hopes of attending UofM but with my MCAT score that is looking like it's out of the picture, would have been a long shot regardless. Hoping for Wayne state and MSU MD as second options.

MCAT breakdown: 126/126/128/128 for a 508
Is this a decent score? I had hoped to score at least 510+ and am feeling disappointed and discouraged if I'm being honest. I am also worried that with a relatively high GPA this will look bad on my part.

Extracurriculars/awards/achievements generally, still need to tweak the exact hours but this will be close:
  • Undergraduate learning assistant for chemistry lab (basically a TA, at my school TAs are only graduate students but I played a similar role): 4 semesters so far and will continue next year, about 600 hours
  • MSU Deans list all semesters attended
  • Best in class and best in section awards for undergrad research symposiums within the college (I know not all that impressive)
  • Clinical research with local spine and brain surgeons, 1 summer: Approx. 85 hours
  • Laboratory research at Beaumont hospital in orthopedic research lab, unpaid for 1 summer and will be returning this summer for a paid position: Approx. 250-300 hours
  • Clinical observation in ER and orthopedic surgery: Approx. 150 hours
  • Founded and organized a bicycle service event within Detroit public schools, have run two events thus far about 5 hours each plus time for planning and organizing the events
  • Ran bicycle safety seminars at two locations for local school children for about 5 hours each time
  • Study abroad trip to Belize for 1 week, worked with underprivileged elementary schoolers to help tutor and aid in learning
  • Fundraiser volunteer at church: About 50 hours
  • Served as president of Freshman Class council my first year where I helped organize community inclusivity events
  • Elected E-board member of student government council within my math and science college, served as advisor to Freshman class for 2 years and will be serving as president this coming year
I apologize for the lengthy post and abundance of detail, this is my first time posting after being a long time lurker. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I think in an ideal situation I could improve C/P and CARs about 2 points each as that was more in-line with my practice FL scores, but I'm not convinced that it's worth the risk of scoring the same or lower. Sign-up for retake June 1 but I think that the time frame is too tight to see any real improvement.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're good for this cycle if you apply to mostly mid tiers. I think you have a decent shot. I would not suggest a retake in a short time frame. Doing worse can go against you.

Reactions: 1 user
No actual volunteering or patient contact experience???

If you retake that fine MCAT score, so help me I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!
I suggest:

U VM

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

SLU

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

VCU

Netter

EVMS

Oakland-B and all other MI schools (except U MI)

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with MSUCOM, LECOM, OHCOM, CCOM and MUCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
No actual volunteering or patient contact experience???

If you retake that fine MCAT score, so help me I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!
I suggest:

U VM

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

SLU

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

VCU

Netter

EVMS

Oakland-B and all other MI schools (except U MI)

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with MSUCOM, LECOM, OHCOM, CCOM and MUCOM
@Goro I really appreciate the response, when you put it that way it gives me some hope/confidence :)

As far as patient contact:
I did research for a group of spine and brain surgeons for 1 summer. Part of my role was to follow up with patients both in person and by phone regarding their long term recovery process post-surgery. I interviewed patients in person when they came for follow up appointments and asked about their quality of life, health etc. I am not sure if this qualifies as "patient contact"..would love to hear your take. I worked unpaid for that summer but do not think that really qualifies as "volunteering", does it? I also spent a separate summer as an unpaid researcher in an orthopedic lab, again I am not sure if this qualifies as volunteer work and would love to hear your input

I do feel that I am lacking in regards to volunteer work. Aside from the spine and brain/ortho stuff mentioned above the only real volunteer work that I have is organizing two bicycle service event within Detroit public schools. This was not a HUGE time commitment and has not been a long term commitment compared to some of my other ECs but I felt that it was meaningful and may look decent as I took it upon myself to organize and run the events. In addition I have spent a decent chunk of time volunteering on student government/leadership groups (briefly mentioned in initial post), again not sure that this is in the realm of what is traditionally thought of as volunteering...

Will these deficiencies hurt me a lot come time for applications?

Thank you so much for the advice!!

@Goro I really appreciate the response, when you put it that way it gives me some hope/confidence :)

As far as patient contact:
I did research for a group of spine and brain surgeons for 1 summer. Part of my role was to follow up with patients both in person and by phone regarding their long term recovery process post-surgery. I interviewed patients in person when they came for follow up appointments and asked about their quality of life, health etc. I am not sure if this qualifies as "patient contact"..would love to hear your take. I worked unpaid for that summer but do not think that really qualifies as "volunteering", does it? I also spent a separate summer as an unpaid researcher in an orthopedic lab, again I am not sure if this qualifies as volunteer work and would love to hear your input

I do feel that I am lacking in regards to volunteer work. Aside from the spine and brain/ortho stuff mentioned above the only real volunteer work that I have is organizing two bicycle service event within Detroit public schools. This was not a HUGE time commitment and has not been a long term commitment compared to some of my other ECs but I felt that it was meaningful and may look decent as I took it upon myself to organize and run the events. In addition I have spent a decent chunk of time volunteering on student government/leadership groups (briefly mentioned in initial post), again not sure that this is in the realm of what is traditionally thought of as volunteering...

Will these deficiencies hurt me a lot come time for applications?

Thank you so much for the advice!!
Still looking for any feedback here, the advise is much appreaciated..thank you!!

Not an adcom, but I can summarize the basics of "clinical experience" for you.

Benefit to you: knowing for sure "doctor" is the career you want. Getting other people pee-pee on you you, wiping a butt, and smelling C-diff are all valuable experiences that can confirm or deny your motivations. Am I cool with placing fecal management systems, digital disimpactions, and getting HIV patient fluids on me for 30 years?

Benefit for admissions: being able to speak credibly about why you want to be a physician (hint, it's about benefiting patients, not ourselves). Demonstrating that you know more about the career than Grey's Anatomy viewers. More examples that go back to the credibility point.

Hopefully that helps before someone more qualified can help you out.

Not an adcom, but I can summarize the basics of "clinical experience" for you.

Benefit to you: knowing for sure "doctor" is the career you want. Getting other people pee-pee on you you, wiping a butt, and smelling C-diff are all valuable experiences that can confirm or deny your motivations. Am I cool with placing fecal management systems, digital disimpactions, and getting HIV patient fluids on me for 30 years?

Benefit for admissions: being able to speak credibly about why you want to be a physician (hint, it's about benefiting patients, not ourselves). Demonstrating that you know more about the career than Grey's Anatomy viewers. More examples that go back to the credibility point.

Hopefully that helps before someone more qualified can help you out.
Much appreciated, I do feel that much of what I saw while shadowing and interviewing patients will provide good reference come to for interviews (granted I am extended invitations to interview!!)..just hoping that my deficits don't hurt me too much!

Thanks again!

Much appreciated, I do feel that much of what I saw while shadowing and interviewing patients will provide good reference come to for interviews (granted I am extended invitations to interview!!)..just hoping that my deficits don't hurt me too much!

Thanks again!
Yeah, you just have to worry about the people reading your app arriving at the same conclusion. If only 10ish percent of applicants get an interview, you don't want to leave any room for doubt.