3.95 GPA, 36Q MCAT Canadian in a top10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be possible to get into a top10 school like this.

3.95 cGPA (probably increasing after this year)
13 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS Q WS

would be my numbers, along with a good collection of EC's. One thing i'm lacking is any solid extensive research, however I was wondering if shadowing in both Canadian and American hospitals would give me an edge in terms standing out?

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if it would be possible to get into a top10 school like this.

3.95 cGPA (probably increasing after this year)
13 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS Q WS

would be my numbers, along with a good collection of EC's. One thing i'm lacking is any solid extensive research, however I was wondering if shadowing in both Canadian and American hospitals would give me an edge in terms standing out?

Thanks for the help guys!

All top 10 schools are extremely research focused, so not having a solid research experience is going to be a barrier. You have average to above average stats for top 10 schools, but with not a single strong research experience it's actually somewhat unlikely. They get thousands of applicants a year with your numbers, and a majority of them will have years of research experience.

If by top 10 you meant top 10 ranked by research dollars it doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the fact that you've done no research. If you mean top 10 ranked for primary care, you've got a much better shot though many of those schools give preference to in state students.

It is occasionally possible to get attention from the top-ten research giant despite the lack of a stong research component on your application if you stand out with wow-level leadership and nonmedical, noncampus community service, are an elite athlete, or achieved wide recognition in an artistic endeavor. A broader shadowing experience will not make up for the lack of research.