3.95 GPA, 511 MCAT. should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CitrusValley43

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.95
  2. MCAT: 511 (86th %ile) 129 (93), 127, 126 (67), 129 (93)
  3. Michigan
  4. ORM Asian Indian
  5. Public state school
  6. Standard ER volunteer around 100 hrs in college, 150 in high school (probably doesn't count?), sociology research in hospital, poster presentation but no publications.
  7. Medical sociology research for 3 years, psychology research for 2 years. No pubs.
  8. 40 hours shadowing. Internal med, pediatrics.
  9. 150 hours non-clinical volunteering. Various places.
  10. Eboard of two service organizations. Member of student government general assembly. Member in a few other clubs.
  11. Graduating a year early, will have gap year probably will scribe and travel during this time. 4.0 in all upper-level science classes (all classes after freshman year were 4.0). Currently in my third and final year of college, just got my MCAT score of 511 with a low bio score of 126. Only retake option would be 4/22 in order to have score by 6/1. I feel I could definitely score somewhat higher if I took 1-2 practice exams a week and reviewed content here and there but not sure if I should risk barely improving or not improving at all, wondering if 515-520 vs a 511 is a big enough difference to give it a shot and sacrifice the last few months of undergrad I have left while also keeping in mind that schools will see both scores. Note: I feel like I could do better on the MCAT mainly because I really lazed off on prep last time (only took 4 practice exams) and studied for about 5 weeks and got the 511 on the 1/19/17 test.
Mainly wondering what my chances are for Michigan MD schools (Chances at Wayne State??) with the current MCAT, if I should retake it and if you have any other suggestions for the gap year. I'd like to stay in-state to keep costs down but also don't want to attend a not so great school. If I could get suggestions for other schools that are friendly to OOS applicants that would be nice to know as well. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good shot at michigan schools. I would increase volunteering to underserved populations. Wayne, MSUCHM, WMED,CMU are all real possibilities uMich and oakland less of a chance.

Do......not......retake.......

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good shot at michigan schools. I would increase volunteering to underserved populations. Wayne, MSUCHM, WMED,CMU are all real possibilities uMich and oakland less of a chance.

Appreciate the response, so you think I should be okay with the 511 despite the 126 bio score?

Why you think less chances for Oakland ? Any specific reasons behind your opinion for Oakland ?

Appreciate the response, so you think I should be okay with the 511 despite the 126 bio score?
Honestly it is hard to predict. Your total score is good and 126 is a 9 on the old scale if I am correct which is not to terrible.

Why you think less chances for Oakland ? Any specific reasons behind your opinion for Oakland ?
Oakland I find is very finicky and unpredictable so I wouldn't put too much hope on that boat.

On other threads I've read, the general adcom advice is unless a section is sub-125, don't retake for the sole purpose of bringing that subscore up.

I'm still waiting on decisions, but I've had 3 interviews with a 509 (126 BB) and a ~0.2 lower GPA.

511 MCAT shall be no reason to be denied unless it has a eccentric balance among the sub sections or to be sent to the top schools in tier 1.