3.95 GPA and 36 MCAT, would appreciate help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamecockWay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a SC resident and biomedical engineering major at a public state school with a 3.95 GPA and 36 MCAT. I am applying to all three in-state schools, just having a difficult time deciding which other schools or how many to apply to. Just for some more information my ECs are:

Work:
1 year of scribing in family medicine clinics and ERs, including trips to various cities for prn work
~100 hours tutoring various subjects
1 summer of telemarketing

Volunteering:
~100 hours volunteering at a free Hispanic clinic, including various health fairs for migrant workers
~50 hours volunteering at a local food bank

Research:
1 semester volunteering as a clinical research assistant where I interviewed patients and shadowed orthopedic surgeons
1 year biochemistry research in tissue engineering, including a $3000 grant for full time summer work and an award at a regional conference
~500 hours as group leader for a biomedical device design project

Other:
~200 hours shadowing family medicine
~100 hours shadowing ER
~15 hours shadowing radiologist, ortho surgeon respectively
6 months study abroad and extensive travel in Europe
Conversational Spanish

So far I am considering:

Medical University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina - Columbia
University of South Carolina - Greenville
Emory
Wake Forest
Duke
Vanderbilt
VCU
UVA
Eastern Virginia
Boston U

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent application. Do you have any leadership or clubs? Hobbies? These things aren't needed but they can help for the top schools.

You should apply to ~20 schools. Your current list is a good start, and you have a good application for research heavy schools.

Look into:

MCAT Avg. 35-37:

Case Western
Baylor
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
NYU
Mt. Sinai
UMichigan
Cornell

MCAT Avg. 32-34:

UNC
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Iowa
Tufts
Dartmouth

I haven't pursued leadership positions in many clubs but have been active in the Biomedical Engineering Society and the Tau Beta Pi honors society. In terms of hobbies I am a ASA basic keelboat certified sailor and have sailed in lakes and off the coast. Also I was team captain of an intramural flag football team for three years and played intramural ultimate frisbee.

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely check out those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't pursued leadership positions in many clubs but have been active in the Biomedical Engineering Society and the Tau Beta Pi honors society. In terms of hobbies I am a ASA basic keelboat certified sailor and have sailed in lakes and off the coast. Also I was team captain of an intramural flag football team for three years and played intramural ultimate frisbee.

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely check out those schools.

These are all things you definitely should include! Our stats/activities are actually pretty similar, you can see how my cycle is going on MDApps link.

You can look into adding as many reaches (Harvard, Hopkins, etc.) as you want as well, but start with a good solid foundation list first.

You're quite golden.

Consider:

Medical University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina - Columbia
University of South Carolina - Greenville
Emory
Wake Forest
Duke
Vanderbilt
UVA
Eastern Virginia
Boston U