~3.95 sGPA/cGPA 34 MCAT non-URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arkimezzer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems like a good list. I'd eliminate Brown, because they favor their own UGs,

However: you have a BIG red flag:

2 minor institutional actions that both happened freshman year (basically noise, nothing drug/alcohol/violence related) from an RA who was marking her territory early on in the year

Not one, but two incidents, and when i see the word "violence" in there, I recommend you thinking about other career options just in case.

Lastly, the text in red bold (my edits) screams "excuses". If you don't own your transgressions, you WILL be rejected. The RA didn't put a gun to your head and make drink, did she?

SCHOOLS:

George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Northwestern
Rush
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
Tulane
Boston University
Tufts
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
Dartmouth
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Hofstra North Shore
Mount Sinai
NY Medical College
NYU
Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Weill Cornell
Case Western
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
University of Pittsburgh
Brown
Vanderbilt
Baylor

What do you think? Add/take away? WAMC?

EDIT: I will be applying for next cycle and should have my applications in day 1[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Predicting your outcome is challenging due to the IA's. How you describe/explain them will determine the interviews you get. Even after a good interview, the committee may veto your application.

Student Affairs Deans, in particular, tend to vote against candidates with 2 IA's. Thus I would keep all the schools near your stats. If you want to reduce the total lop a few off the top. You may need several bites at the apple.

This response is freaking me out quite a bit :scared:

Does it make any difference that these both occurred almost 4 years ago? I was a rather naive and oblivious freshman, should I include the 2 IAs in my personal statement and write about how I've grown since then? I suppose I underestimated the effect they would have on my application since they were both so long ago and relatively minor.
No need to "freak out". This is part of who you are. The fact that years have passed without recurrence will help. There is a section in the AMCAS primary where you get the opportunity to address your IA's and subsequent maturation. I don't think I would recommend using precious space in your PS to focus on this.

As I said, this does influence your application strategy. You will need more schools in your target range in order to increase your odds of acceptance.

I was in the same boat as you. My freshmen year I received two conduct violations for alcohol present in the dorm room although I myself was not drinking. After talking to our pre-health advisor, she told me that medical schools often run a background check, not a conduct check, and that at least at my institution, conduct checks are run as a way to inform the committee while drafting a committee letter. If you've stayed out of trouble and have no reoccurring instances since freshman year, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was in the same boat as you. My freshmen year I received two conduct violations for alcohol present in the dorm room although I myself was not drinking. After talking to our pre-health advisor, she told me that medical schools often run a background check, not a conduct check, and that at least at my institution, conduct checks are run as a way to inform the committee while drafting a committee letter. If you've stayed out of trouble and have no reoccurring instances since freshman year, I wouldn't worry about it.

He still has to disclose it as institutional action. If he doesn't, he is risking having any acceptances that he received rescinded after the school does more thorough background check after acceptance. It is still on his record.

He still has to disclose it as institutional action. If he doesn't, he is risking having any acceptances that he received rescinded after the school does more thorough background check after acceptance. It is still on his record.

This is true. Nondisclosure of an IA is grounds for dismissal.