3.96 cGPA 3.9 sGPA MCAT scores released june 26. practice avg 34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalbrecht17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the lengthy title. But again here are my stats if that's what we want to call it.

3.96 cGPA
3.9 sGPA
avg MCAT practice 34 (did get a 37 a couple of times)
ECs:
1 year lab research on diabetes
1 summer (30 hrs/wk) in an ophthalmology clinic
1 semester chem TA
member of group that does variety of service projects
shadowed a radiologist for about 40 hrs.
observed 2 surgeries with an ophthalmologist
worked as a practice patient for the medical school at my college
worked as a mock medical student to train the facilitators at my college's medical school
shadowed radiology techs for 40 hrs.
Graduation faculty marshal

I might be missing some things but I think that's mostly it.

I'm about to submit my amcas and was just wondering if my school list was good or if I should select some others. Any help would be awesome!

U of Minn (my state schoool)
U North Dakota
U Mich
Ohio State
Northwestern
Stanford

I was also looking at applying later to other schools if my MCAT comes back high. What do you guys think?! :)

Members don't see this ad.

On average you should probably apply to 15 to 17 schools so you should add a lot more! Your stats look great so especially add Mayo since it is your home state. Otherwise look at schools that accept out of state applicants in high numbers like emory, nyu, columbia, wake forest, jefferson, temple and drexel. look for more online :)

Thanks for the feedback. Other schools I was looking are as follows:

Chicago Pritzker
Iowa
Boston U
Mayo
Creighton
Dartmouth
Duke
Oregon
Penn State
U Penn
V Tech

any of these that I should throw out right away? Or any other suggestions???

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in PA and I don't vibe with penn state for some reason, probably location (hershey). apply to pitt!

Thanks for the feedback. Other schools I was looking are as follows:

Chicago Pritzker
Iowa
Boston U
Mayo
Creighton
Dartmouth
Duke
Oregon
Penn State
U Penn
V Tech

any of these that I should throw out right away? Or any other suggestions???

Based on your two school lists, I would say you are applying a little too top heavy. I would consider Michigan, Ohio State, Northwestern, Stanford, Chicago Pritzker, Mayo, Duke, and UPenn to be reaches unless you really rock the MCAT (36+). If you are okay with spending the money and time, definitely go for it, as you never know what can happen, but I would also add more mid-tier schools to your list. For Creighton, and any other Jesuit school, you don't seem to have all that much non-clinical community service, which could be an issue. I would be sure to elaborate what all you did with the group service projects on your application. For more mid-tier schools, look into Arizona-Phoenix, Albany, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, Temple, Einstein, Hofstra, MCW and VCU.

Thanks for all the help. Several of the reach schools I have selected I was only planning on applying to if I had a high MCAT (probably should've mentioned that). Any mid tier schools in the midwest that you would recommend otherwise that I don't already have listed?