3.96 Science GPA 36O MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelnb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what do you think my chances would be at a school like Mayo or another really competitive school.

MCAT: 36O
Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.96

-Research since sophomore year. Co-author of a paper
-Treasurer for two years on an organization. Been a part of this organization since freshmen year.
-Won an award for being baller at physics
-I did a summer internship doing research (Undergraduate summer scholars program)
-Worked in an operating room in close contact with doctors for 3 years. (I feel this is better than shadowing because it's a full time job working at a surgery center.)
-Shadowed an anesthesiologist, general surgeon, and an orthopedic surgeon for a total of about 20 hours.
-Intramural tennis my freshman year.

That's about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I didn't post my individual scores.

PS: 14 VR: 9 BS: 13

My VR sucks, I can never keep my focus long enough to comprehend those stupid passages. I could blow through each science passage in about a minute though. It's quite funny to see how bad I am in verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need more breadth in your ECs...for top schools.

Stats are competitive.

Are my EC's still good for "normal" med schools then? I didn't really volunteer and I have a logical explanation for that. I'm not going to explain it here because I don't feel like typing it out, but please take my word that it is a logical and reasonable explanation.

I live in Indiana, so IU.

Sorry if I offended you sir. I meant for it to be a joke, hence I included a silly word such as baller. I could have just said I won an award for my outstanding achievement in my physics course (that's what the award said).

just go volunteer somewhere. then i think you'll be good. otherwise everything else seems nice.

I think you need to change your attitude.

I think adcoms can read between the lines of your app really well.

When I noticed you wrote "3.96 SGPA 36O" Mcat as the topic.
I knew that your cgpa which is much more impt than a sgpa was definitely lower.

Not being "sneaky" with such things would do you better.
I guess, my advice goes down to writing an honourable truthful AMCAS.

other than that, stats are good, but there is no volunteering

theres never a good reason to have zero volunteering

i dont fancy ur chances too much but i think ur stats will carry u in somewhere!

good luck

3.86 is still above average for just about every school in the country.

The lack of volunteering is a bit of a red flag, but the rest of the application is stellar. If your job was really full-time for 3 years, that's a lot of clinical hours, probably more than most applicants.

I don't know if you have something with a "WOW" factor to get you into a top-tier, but you'll definitely get into your state schools and I think you have a decent shot at getting at least an interview from some top 20 schools. Beyond that, everyone who interviews there has a great application, so just do your best at the interview and you should have a chance :)

I think you need to change your attitude.

I think adcoms can read between the lines of your app really well.

When I noticed you wrote "3.96 SGPA 36O" Mcat as the topic.
I knew that your cgpa which is much more impt than a sgpa was definitely lower.

Not being "sneaky" with such things would do you better.
I guess, my advice goes down to writing an honourable truthful AMCAS.

other than that, stats are good, but there is no volunteering

theres never a good reason to have zero volunteering

i dont fancy ur chances too much but i think ur stats will carry u in somewhere!

good luck

I disagree. I have nothing to be sneaky about. I've been to a few presentations made my doctors on the admissions boards and all of them said your overall science GPA is the number one predictor on how well you will do in medical school and your MCAT score is a close second. The higher your science GPA the lower your MCAT can be.

Sorry I didn't post my individual scores.

PS: 14 VR: 9 BS: 13

My VR sucks, I can never keep my focus long enough to comprehend those stupid passages. I could blow through each science passage in about a minute though. It's quite funny to see how bad I am in verbal.
That's normal for some of us. I averaged 13/10/13 on my AAMC's, and I could never nail verbal. But, once I finished with around 40 minutes to spare in bio. lol.

Overall, great app. I'd suggest getting some volunteer time in--I know you worked in a hospital, but some people still want to see you doing volunteer work for some reason (at least based on my experiences). Also, if you get a chance to go save babies in a 3rd world country, that always helps. (Yes, sarcasm... but still serious. :D)

That's normal for some of us. I averaged 13/10/13 on my AAMC's, and I could never nail verbal. But, once I finished with around 40 minutes to spare in bio. lol.

Overall, great app. I'd suggest getting some volunteer time in--I know you worked in a hospital, but some people still want to see you doing volunteer work for some reason (at least based on my experiences). Also, if you get a chance to go save babies in a 3rd world country, that always helps. (Yes, sarcasm... but still serious. :D)

Ha, yeah I finished bio with like 20 minutes left I think lol. I think I might have got lucky or maybe I was just on fire, I was just answering those questions left and right like nobodies business!

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what do you think my chances would be at a school like Mayo or another really competitive school.

-Treasurer for two years on an organization. Been a part of this organization since freshmen year.
-I did a summer internship doing research (Undergraduate summer scholars program)
-Worked in an operating room in close contact with doctors for 3 years. (I feel this is better than shadowing because it's a full time job working at a surgery center.)
-Shadowed an anesthesiologist, general surgeon, and an orthopedic surgeon for a total of about 20 hours.

That's about it!

I think you will have a good looking app. Well done!:) The only problem I see, which others have noted too, is a little bit of an absence of significant leadership experience. You mentioned Mayo specifically and that is something I know that they look for. Is there anything you've done that would fit into this category?

Hey guys,

That's about it!

Main thing that I see lacking is

1) Leadership
2) Volunteering
3) Pizazz

You've got a competitive application for most schools but to crack the top 20 you need a little more sparkle. You don't have anything that really stands out...just a lot of things that most people do but that you've done extremely well in. Nonetheless, many people can pull off good grades, good gpa, with some research and job activity as well.

Make sure you write your essays well and make sure you interview like a beast.

I disagree. I have nothing to be sneaky about. I've been to a few presentations made my doctors on the admissions boards and all of them said your overall science GPA is the number one predictor on how well you will do in medical school and your MCAT score is a close second. The higher your science GPA the lower your MCAT can be.

Lies. How low can an MCAT really be to be compensated by a high sGPA? If this is true then the avg for the accepted MCAT would be lower and less adcoms would ask about it.