Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.97 Gpa, 29s Mcat

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by LeftOfTheDial, Jun 4, 2008.

1. LeftOfTheDial

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys!

I'm a reapplicant for the 2009 cycle and I'd greatly appreciate any advice. :)

Let's see, here are my number stats:

GPA: 3.97; Science: 4.0
    MCAT: 29S (10PS, 11BS, 8VR) <-- :(

I'm retaking the MCAT (July 10) for obvious reasons. :) I hope to at least bump the VR to a 9 or 10 and I say this because I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Last year I took the MCAT on August 9. I wasn't able to finish secondaries until October. Perhaps my timing was off, but I did send everything to AMCAS at the end of June. At the end of the entire process, I only got an interview at UCLA, was placed on second waitlist, and now here I am!

As far as EC's go:

1 yr hospital intern: ER, L&D, radiology, pharmacy
    2 yrs rowing at school
    1 yr newspaper editor
    2 yrs EMT volunteer at school
    2 yrs EMT at disaster medical group
    2 yrs biochemistry research (poster presentation; oral thesis defense)
    4 yrs tutoring
    2 yrs of tutoring at disadvantaged high schools
    now half a year of free clinic medical outreach
    Various shadowing/talking to doctors experiences but nothing official

I am hoping to do some more community service because I really enjoyed tutoring and mentoring, but I'm not so sure I'm going to have the time because I need a job to pay for this new application cycle!

I am from CA, and last time I mostly applied to CA schools (applied to four out of state, no interview invites). I wondering if anyone has any advice as to what my chances of getting into out of schools schools are? I'm very interested in schools in NY and Illinois and also am interested in other mid-west schools as well (like Nebraska). CA schools are really competitive but I want to leave CA to experience another state. Any suggestions as to which schools would accept an applicant like me with my current stats or with an MCAT stat of 1-2 pts higher?

Some things I'm going to do differently: I am rewriting my personal statement to be a little more... personal. I'm also hopefully boost my MCAT scores.

Thank you for your help!

2. spospo

spospo Going to extremes
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i don't think the 29 in and of itself is what is going to hold you back (maybe at CA schools). the 8 in VR is more the red flag i feel. you already knew that though. enough about the MCAT; good luck with the retake.

i got into 2 schools with a 3.95 and a 28S. what OOS schools did you apply to? in terms of midwest schools, i currently go to creighton...whoooohoooo! i think UNMC is hard for OOS. most other midwest ones (what i consider the midwest at least) are state schools i am pretty sure. just apply across the board. don't let location alone limit you. good luck!:luck:

3. abcabc1

2+ Year Member

You should have a chance at some private schools: RFUMS, NYMC, Drexel, MCW, GW, BU, Tufts, Albany, amongst others.

The 29 overall and 8 in VR certainly don't help. If you can even bump your VR up by one point, it can make a difference. Try to get your applications out early. You're right on the brink; good luck!