3.97 gpa, 30q mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuffNerd

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 3.97 GPA (3.95 sGPA) and am double majoring in Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from a state school. I took the MCAT in january and got a 30Q (my AAMC range was 29-34, so I wasn't sure if I should retake or not...)

I have research experience (1 summer internship and will be starting a year long project soon), a decent amount of shadowing (50 hours in ER, 30 in private practice, 20 in cardiology/radiology, hoping to get more this summer), a ton of campus involvement (president of pre-health honor society, resident advisor for pre-health community, stuco, Relay for life, etc.) , multiple volunteering experiences (working with mentally handicapped and disadvantaged children), etc.

I should also have strong LOR's and I've been told that my personal statement is awesome. Also, I've interviewed with my Pre-health committee and they said that I was in the top tier as far as how well I interviewed.

I have residency in Oklahoma and Colorado and these are the schools I want to apply to:

Colorado
Oklahoma
Baylor
UTSW
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Kansas

I know that I have a good shot at Oklahoma (especially since I had an internship there), but I'm really not sure if I could be competitive at Colorado (IS) or any of the Texas schools listed (OOS).
What do you all think?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
^^^
Just updated a few things in my post for those 42 of you who viewed it, but didn't reply :)

Hey all,

I have a 3.97 GPA (3.95 sGPA) and am double majoring in Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from a state school. I took the MCAT in january and got a 30Q (my AAMC range was 29-34, so I wasn't sure if I should retake or not...)

I have research experience (1 summer internship and will be starting a year long project soon), a decent amount of shadowing (50 hours in ER, 30 in private practice, 20 in cardiology/radiology, hoping to get more this summer), a ton of campus involvement (president of pre-health honor society, resident advisor for pre-health community, stuco, Relay for life, etc.) , multiple volunteering experiences (working with mentally handicapped and disadvantaged children), etc.

I should also have strong LOR's and I've been told that my personal statement is awesome. Also, I've interviewed with my Pre-health committee and they said that I was in the top tier as far as how well I interviewed.

I have residency in Oklahoma and Colorado and these are the schools I want to apply to:

Colorado
Oklahoma
Baylor
UTSW
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Kansas

I know that I have a good shot at Oklahoma (especially since I had an internship there), but I'm really not sure if I could be competitive at Colorado (IS) or any of the Texas schools listed (OOS).
What do you all think?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Colorade seems to prefer nontraditional applicants with (I've heard) over 500 hours of clinical experience. Considering it's significantly more selective, and that you can only claim one state of residence on the AMCAS application, I'd pick Oklahoma when the time comes.

Do you have clinical experience working with sick people? That isn't clear.

I can't give you much insight on OOS applications to Texas schools. If you were in-state, you'd be in good shape, stats-wise, but I suspect that OOSers are held to a higher standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Catalystik - Thanks for the response!

Regarding the residency, my family lived in Oklahoma (with me as a dependent) until after my sophomore year of college, when they moved to Colorado. I am still considered a dependent and thus have CO residency. However, I had an internship at Oklahoma's Medical School and I talked with the admissions office and explained by situation and they said that if I was considered a resident at my undergrad (which I was) in Oklahoma, then they would automatically consider me in-state when I applied as long as I applied for entrance into the medical school the fall after I finished undergrad. They even had me fill out residency paperwork and created a file for me to ensure that this could happen despite my family establishing residency in Colorado with me as a dependent.
I was unaware that you had to list one state as the state in which you have residency on the AMCAS application. But with that being the case, could I list Colorado (in hopes of getting in there) since it sounds like I should be guaranteed in-state status at Oklahoma?

As far as the amount of shadowing Colorado likes and whether I've worked with sick people: I have about 25 hours in cardiology, 25 in radiology, 30 in family practice and 40 in the ER. I know this is under their desired amount, but I am planning on shadowing/working in a hospital for the entire next summer (I'm not sure how much I could put on my AMCAS because I want to submit early). So I do have some "sick people" contact in addition to the volunteering with mentally challenged clients (~30 hours+).

Does anyone have an opinion about whether I'd be competitive OOS in Texas?

Also, should I retake the MCAT? I feel like the 30 doesn't match my GPA or potential...with that said, I would love to never deal with that beast again.

To be sure that we are on the same page: shadowing and clinical experience are not considered to be the same thing. Shadowing is a passive observership, where you concentrate on what the physician is doing. It is listed under "Other" on the AMCAS application. Clinical experience is actively engaging sick people and being involved in their care. To gain the latter, most will volunteer or work in a medical environment. Some do clinical research. The average is 1.5 years on an application for 150 hours. Colorado is a severe outlier in its expectations (from hearsay). Maybe you'd want to confirm this. Perhaps a visit to the School Specific thread in PreMed Allo would find the information.

I was unaware that you had to list one state as the state in which you have residency on the AMCAS application. But with that being the case, could I list Colorado (in hopes of getting in there) since it sounds like I should be guaranteed in-state status at Oklahoma?
The application lists on the front page: 1) preferred address, 2) permanent address, 3) legal residence, and 4) birthplace. What you're suggesting might work, but I'd be concerned that on receiving your application, the admissions office would take one look at your designated "legal residence" and put your application on the OOS pile. Can you call the office and diplomatically (incognito) ask if this could work?

Also, should I retake the MCAT?
For a better chance at Colorado, 2-4 more MCAT points would be helpful.

Hopefully, someone will come along who can help you with your OOS for Texas question. I recall a thread dedicated to this topic in the main PreAllo Forum you might look for.

Thanks so much! I didn't catch the distinction between the two before, so I would say that I am somewhat lacking in the clinical/non-shadowing experience.
It is unfortunate (for me) that Colorado seems to have those unwritten high requirements, but I will contact the school and look more into it!

I tried to fully hash out the issue with the admissions office at Oklahoma, but I will definitely talk to them again before I submit my AMCAS application...I don't want to make the wrong choice in which state I choose.

Also, I will search for the Texas OOS thread.

Thanks again!

I found this post:
Some schools want more. The University of Colorado, for example, prefers 500 hours (combination of volunteering and shadowing).

Schools vary. Denver is definitely high on hours but their former dean of admissions (who set that rule in the first place) is now one of the top guys at the AAMC. His influence may (or may not) push other schools to push for more hours from applicants as well. 200 hours is on the low but acceptable side, though, if that's your primary for clinical experience. I'd continue. It shows commitment and the quality of your experience (as well as your clinical LOR) is likely to increase if you stay in 1 dept longer....
I have, however, also found a Colorado acceptee this year with apparently less, so this may be a relative recommendation.

Hmmm that is interesting! I am going to be in Colorado next week so I may try to visit the admissions office in person. I will share any info I can get, especially concerning the amount of hours they want.

I'd like to know what you find out. I recall a past poster claiming this was true, but don't know the source of the opinion.

I visited CU's Med school and chatted with a lady in the admissions office. I asked her about the often-cited 500 hour mark in regards to clinical experience and she said that they certainly don't have a specific number of hours they are looking for. She emphasized that CU stresses the importance of applicants being exposed to sick people and being responsible for them in some way. She said that however many hours you need in order to be able to clearly know and express why it is you are certain medicine is the right field for you is the correct number of hours. She said that the admissions office doesn't expect students to necessarily be able to reach this point where they can adequately appreciate why they want to go into medicine while the students are still in undergrad. She said this often happens during the couple years after undergrad and before med school (this led into the part of the conversation where she told me that the average matriculant at CU is 24.5....much older than the 21 I would be if I get accepted for 2012 admission).
She also emphasized that all areas of the application are evaluated before interviews. She said that they do not simply choose who they interview based on stats alone (and that the adcom certainly doesn't make their final selection based on stats...she said they don't even have access to your stats until they have scored you for your interview).
These are the main things I remember from the chat. She said that the admissions office offers no counsel to students but that they can provide some information.
Hope that info is helpful for someone!