3.97 GPA, 31 MCAT: Chances and School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corvid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm applying for the 2014 cycle:

My stats are as follows:

3.97 cGPA, 3.97 science GPA.
31P MCAT (11 VR, 9 PS, 11 BS)

I'm an undergrad at a UC if it helps with my school list later.

ECs:

[*]Teaching Assistant for two upper-division biology courses - 220 hours total

[*]Part-time job as a lab assistant (from September 2011 to now) - ~620 hours total

[*]Clinical research (work with anatomical and functional brain imaging data, a lot of patient contact) ~205 hours total over a year and a half

[*] Hospital volunteer - ~230 hours total over a year and a half

[*] This EC is a bit hard to explain, but using the credentials I have as a clinical research assistant, I basically helped administer a novel treatment for pain relief under an anesthesiologist (basically like shadowing but actually assisting the doctor in administering the treatment)- Weekly basis over a year for a total of ~125 hours.

[*] A side project where I helped in the preliminary development of a robot arm for the treatment I mentioned above (not a very prominent EC, but one I felt I should mention) - ~50 hours

***Side note to separate me from some applicants (I don't think it's too important but I briefly touched on it on my personal statement): I have a permanent chronic illness (but it's been in remission for a few years).

School list:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Rush Medical College
Stanford University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of California-Riverside School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

So I applied fairly broadly to be safe (I am worried about my MCAT score, but I feel I wouldn't be able to improve it enough to justify a re-take).

The UC med schools are my main concern, I really want to get into one of them (I really like it here in California :().

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I count 9 schools where you have a fair chance at an interview. In your situation I would recommend a minimum of 12-15.

Do you have a demonstrated commitment to serve in the Inland Empire or the Central Valley? This might bump it to 10

I count 9 schools where you have a fair chance at an interview. In your situation I would recommend a minimum of 12-15.

Do you have a demonstrated commitment to serve in the Inland Empire or the Central Valley? This might bump it to 10

How would one demonstrate a commitment to serve here, exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
How would one demonstrate a commitment to serve here, exactly?
Being from there, going to school there, having served there as a teacher, volunteer...
Secondarily, being able to articulate an understanding of their specific manpower deficits would be helpful.

Being from there, going to school there, having served there as a teacher, volunteer...
Secondarily, being able to articulate an understanding of their specific manpower deficits would be helpful.

I figured you meant that, so I would say probably not then. I've lived in southern California all my life and went to school at UCSD. I am aware that there's a serious shortage of doctors in those areas.

I figured you meant that, so I would say probably not then. I've lived in southern California all my life and went to school at UCSD. I am aware that there's a serious shortage of doctors in those areas.
Then I would suggest that you add 6 OOS (non reach) schools.

Then I would suggest that you add 6 OOS (non reach) schools.

So are you saying that for over half the schools I have on there I am not likely to get an interview, making them reach schools. That's pretty disheartening =_=, with that said, do you have suggestions regarding schools I should take out possibly?

I added 2 more schools whose MCAT 10th to 90th percentile range I fell into: Albany and Wake Forest.

So are you saying that for over half the schools I have on there I am not likely to get an interview, making them reach schools. That's pretty disheartening =_=, with that said, do you have suggestions regarding schools I should take out possibly?

I added 2 more schools whose MCAT 10th to 90th percentile range I fell into: Albany and Wake Forest.
Sorry.
I think you can identify them easily. I do understand the compulsion to apply to all the CA schools. Heck, I think I did it myself! They are still reaches.
Albany and Wake are good. Find 4 more and you should have a good shot if you can interview!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have next to no chance at Stanford, OHSU or UWSOM.

Thanks for the input. I understand why Stanford may not be a good choice at all (and I'll probably remove it accordingly). But could you elaborate more on UWSOM and OHSU?

For UWSOM, it's mostly due to the fact that they don't take many out of state applicants at all, correct (because I still fall in the 10th to 90th percentile range for the MCAT)?

Thanks for the input. I understand why Stanford may not be a good choice at all (and I'll probably remove it accordingly). But could you elaborate more on UWSOM and OHSU?

For UWSOM, it's mostly due to the fact that they don't take many out of state applicants at all, correct (because I still fall in the 10th to 90th percentile range for the MCAT)?
Their nonUIM OOS matriculants are from alliances with states that have no med schools.

Sorry.
I think you can identify them easily. I do understand the compulsion to apply to all the CA schools. Heck, I think I did it myself! They are still reaches.
Albany and Wake are good. Find 4 more and you should have a good shot if you can interview!

Ok I removed UWSOM and Stanford:

Added:
Loyola, Rush, Penn State, Albany

This brings my total schools to 25 (and a nice even application fee of $1000 +pity+)

(I decided not to go with Wake Forest).

I know you recommended 6 more to the 9 I had, but I think applying to 13 (lucky 13 ;)) schools where I have a good shot of an interview is good enough for me (and I'm confident I can interview)!

Were any of the California schools part of that original 9 (Davis or Irvine at least?)?

Thanks for the help again!