3.97 GPA, 36 MCAT - Thoughts on school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clouding

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Thanks for the feedback everyone! Removed for anonymity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you have a sufficient amount of volunteering(hard to tell in your description if that clinical and other stuff was paid or as a volunteer) you should be good to go. This is a good list.

Maybe if you feel the need add a couple more lower tier type schools; Miami, Medical College Wisconsin, Tufts, Tulane, Saint Louis( I tried to pick ones that don't get insane number of apps and don't have MCAT medians low enough you might possibly get screened out from) go for it. Even amongst top applicants, its really not uncommon to go 0/8 or 0/1o from all the top 20 schools(although your ECs are also very good). If you want a couple more middle tiers; Hofstra, UVA, Case Western, Ohio State and Emory could be worth consideration. Depending on what state you are in for your state schools, it might be a good idea to have more than 4 schools where the MCAT median isn't 35+; maybe add another couple just to be safe. But you look good to go.

@GrapesofRath : Yep, everything on that list is actually volunteering, with the exception of the TA work and some of the research.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely look into adding a couple more of the safer schools. I'm also tempted to add one/two to each of the target and reach categories, as well - do you think this would be unwise? An optimistic part of me keeps thinking, "What if?..."

Any other thoughts? This is already quite helpful! @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @WedgeDawg

Members don't see this ad :)
[You're golden; aim high.

Harvard, Penn, Hopkins, Yale, Stanford, Columbia
Cornell, Duke, Pritzker, Mayo, Feinberg, Vandy, USC, NYU
UVM, Temple, BU, Rochester, Einstein, State School

All other NYC schools
Your state school(s)
Jefferson
Pitt
Northwestern
Baylor
U Miami
Loyola
Hofstra
SUNY SB
U MI
U VA
U AZ
U WI
Emory

Good list. Might as well add Sinai to finish off the manhattan 4some.