3.97 GPA 520 MCAT Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShenandoahDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working to make my school list and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Here's what I've pretty well narrowed down to so far:
Most VA schools including UVA and VCU
Harvard,
Stanford
Hopkins
Yale
Perelman
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
Duke
UNC
UCSF
UCLA
Piitsburg
Cornell
Columbia
Pritzker

I know that few students get scholarships, but because of my financial system (no need-based because of my parents' income, but they don't assist me with school), I likely will end up going to a lower ranked school that gives me a scholarship. I am hopeful that I have a decent shot at a scholarship at Duke, Vanderbilt, Pritzker, and at VA schools (In state). Any thoughts on schools to add, or on schools to subtract. Especcially any similiar or slightly lower schools that have good scholarships, or if any that I listed give good scholarships that I don't know of. For example, does anyone know if I have a shot at a scholarship at Perelman?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's your list (assuming you have adequate ECs, including research experience)

Harvard
Hopkins
Stanford
UCSF
Penn
WashU
Columbia
Yale
Duke
Michigan
UChicago
Vanderbilt
UCLA
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
Pitt
Northwestern
Emory
Rochester
Einstein
UVA
VCU
EVMS

You are essentially guaranteed an acceptance at UVA and most likely at VCU as well.

Top schools that give a lot of scholarships are Penn, WashU, Duke, UChicago, UCLA and Vanderbilt. If you get into Vanderbilt or maybe WashU, you're likely to get at least some money; however, barring scholarships, VCU is likely your cheapest option (low CoL in Richmond + cheap IS tuition).

Whether or not you are are likely to get a scholarship at any of these schools is not something we can predict - the best you can do is apply, and if you don't get anything, then VCU will be a cheap alternative option.

UNC doesn't take many OOS students and your stats are too high for Georgetown.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's your list (assuming you have adequate ECs, including research experience)

your stats are too high for Georgetown.

I get that they wouldn't want to waste time on a student who definitely won't be going there, but if I have a really good reason to want to go to DC (girlfriend's job) can i communicate that to them somehow so that they will give me a look? When would I do that, before secondaries or after? I would want to communicate it before I was turned down for an interview if that's a possibility.

I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA

U MI

U AZ
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Hey all,

I'm working to make my school list and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Here's what I've pretty well narrowed down to so far:
Most VA schools including UVA and VCU
Harvard,
Stanford
Hopkins
Yale
Perelman
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
Duke
UNC
UCSF
UCLA
Piitsburg
Cornell
Columbia
Pritzker

I know that few students get scholarships, but because of my financial system (no need-based because of my parents' income, but they don't assist me with school), I likely will end up going to a lower ranked school that gives me a scholarship. I am hopeful that I have a decent shot at a scholarship at Duke, Vanderbilt, Pritzker, and at VA schools (In state). Any thoughts on schools to add, or on schools to subtract. Especcially any similiar or slightly lower schools that have good scholarships, or if any that I listed give good scholarships that I don't know of. For example, does anyone know if I have a shot at a scholarship at Perelman?

Thank you!

I get that they wouldn't want to waste time on a student who definitely won't be going there, but if I have a really good reason to want to go to DC (girlfriend's job) can i communicate that to them somehow so that they will give me a look? When would I do that, before secondaries or after? I would want to communicate it before I was turned down for an interview if that's a possibility.

If you have a really good reason to go there, you can either tell them on the secondary or in an update letter and they are might be more inclined to consider you, in which case it might be worth applying.

I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA

U MI

U AZ
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Thanks for the list, are these in any particular groupings or did you just think of them in that order?

If you have a really good reason to go there, you can either tell them on the secondary or in an update letter and they are might be more inclined to consider you, in which case it might be worth applying.

Thank you!

Harvard
Hopkins
Stanford
UCSF
Penn
WashU
Columbia
Yale
Duke
Michigan
UChicago
Vanderbilt
UCLA
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
Pitt
Northwestern
Emory
Rochester
Einstein
UVA
VCU
EVMS

You are essentially guaranteed an acceptance at UVA and most likely at VCU as well.

Top schools that give a lot of scholarships are Penn, WashU, Duke, UChicago, UCLA and Vanderbilt. If you get into Vanderbilt or maybe WashU, you're likely to get at least some money; however, barring scholarships, VCU is likely your cheapest option (low CoL in Richmond + cheap IS tuition).

Whether or not you are are likely to get a scholarship at any of these schools is not something we can predict - the best you can do is apply, and if you don't get anything, then VCU will be a cheap alternative option.

UNC doesn't take many OOS students and your stats are too high for Georgetown.

Unfortunately nothing is a guarantee in this business. One of my good friends has a 3.8/42 is currently sitting pretty on the waitlist at UVA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Unfortunately nothing is a guarantee in this business. One of my good friends has a 3.8/42 is currently sitting pretty on the waitlist at UVA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not a total guarantee, but if you're a Virginia resident with strong stats, you'll get an interview and then you'll have an 80% chance or so of acceptance post-interview, which is extraordinarily high.

@WedgeDawg sorry to bump this thread but is that last post about UVA and VCU or all VA schools including EVMS and VaTech?