3.97 sGPA, 3.96 cGPA, no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfer-man

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into my Junior year and looking for advice for resume improvements. Not sure if I will be taking a gap year or not. Any advice you may have is appreciated!

Residency: MI
School: Small, liberal arts school
Major: Chemistry w/ Biochemistry concentration
sGPA: 3.97
cGPA: 3.96

EC's:

Division III athlete - all conference for first two years, will be a co-captain for the team for the next two years. Member of the 2017 Academic National Championship team. countless hours

Intern at Central Michigan University College of Medicine - currently doing a summer internship with CMU. I have helped them give a presentation at a national conference among other things, and will be a co-author on a paper regarding how simulation medicine can help improve the learning of primary care residents; to be completed in the Fall of 2018. 300 hours

Civic Engagement Scholar - led a on-campus group for year that worked with a classroom of young adults on the autistic spectrum. I had to plan weekly activities for the college students and autistic to do together, as well as plan reflections to discuss our work. 150 hours (volunteered freshmen year with the same group for 50 hours)

Chemistry TA - teaching assistant and tutor for an introductory chemistry class, will be an organic teaching assistant for the upcoming semester, 50 hours and counting

I will also be a leader of the on-campus pre-health student organization for the upcoming year. I am planning on volunteering at the hospital during the school year to get clinical experience. I have 50+ hours shadowing diagnostic and interventional radiology.

Members don't see this ad.

You need some volunteering or experience with actual patients, so your plans are fine.
The hospital website said that they do not offer "clinical" volunteer work. Sounds more like knitting hats and making beds. Will this still count or should I look into hospice?