3.97c, 4.0s, 507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strebor14k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have most of my secondaries in and I'm just waiting to hear back on interviews. I have one DO school (AZCOM) interview already scheduled... but I really would prefer an MD school over DO. I have done a very good job with my ECs and I am not worried about them at all. I am an Idaho resident, cleared for the WWAMI program, but I grew up in AZ and my family and in-laws all live there, attended high school, etc, so I have good ties there. The only thing that concerns me is my CARS score on the new 2015 MCAT. Here are my numbers:

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 507
CP: 129
CARS: 124
BB: 127
PsS: 127

It's just that dang CARS score that doesn't look good. It hits the minimum score req for most mid to low range MD schools, but will it keep me out of MD schools? I want to be realistic about this whole process, but I have also worked my butt off and don't want to sell myself short. I guess now that everything is in and I'm just waiting, I'm starting to get a little anxious and second guess myself. Here are all the MD schools that I applied to:

U of A Phoenix and Tuscon
Loma Linda
University of Colorado
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Duke (Shoot for the stars school... I know, you don't need to tell me)
Creighton
University of Rochester (another school where my MCAT score will be around the 10th percentile for accepted applicants)
University of Utah (They hold 8 seats for Idaho residents)
University of Washington (WWAMI school)

What do you all think? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You're shooting about a 29 equivalent on your MCAT, so combined with your GPA, you still have an even shot. However, you need to apply to more schools than you have, and make sure they're all realistic (ie no Duke, Rochester, etc). It's unfortunate that UW is your only "state" school. Also, you are aware the Loma Linda requires a primary motivation for medicine to be service to Christ, right? Don't apply there if you aren't devoutly Christian.

You should consider adding from schools on this list:

EVMS, VCU, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Albany, TCMC, Tufts, Tulane, and Penn State. Others will chime in with more, I'm sure. If you want a shot at MD, you should apply to well over 20 MD schools (preferably >25 if possible).

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed with the guy above me, apply broadly. Only apply to schools that accept 7 verbal on MSAR (they show the 10th-90th percentile of accepted scores). A 124 CARS is like a 7 verbal and some schools have a screen such that they screen out students with any subsection score under an 8 before further review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wedgedawg is right. You have a shot with the right list.

Also consider: MCW, Vermont, WVU, Western Mich, Central Mich, Other DO schools

These are additional schools where your stats could result in an interview:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
California Northstate

IF you're boning for the MD don't waste time and energy on applications that are fantasies for you(Duke, Rochester and I probably wouldn't call Colorado a great choice either) when you could be spending energy on secondaries that are meaningful for you. Also only apply to Loma Linda if you really fit their mission.

The 3.97/30 is hardly a bad combination, but if you really do prefer MD over DO strongly then apply to at least 20-25 schools from what you've been given. The 124 CARs comes out to 44th percentile, that's roughly equivalent to an 8 but with scores and their respective percentiles different from the old MCAT( ie a 7 was around 28-41st percentile, 8 42nd-56th etc now 123 and 124 and 125 don't take on those exact ranges) it is possible schools will set new percentiles for screening out on. 124 might possibly be below that subsection(probably won't at most schools). So in that sense, yes look into MSAR and give strong consideration to schools where the 10th percentile includes a 7 in verbal.

Here are the schools I personally would give strongest consideration to. I tried to list it in some kind of order(not absolute but I'd throw an app at say Oakland before GW or Drexel for sure)

U of Arizona(both)
U. of Utah(about 180 applicants apply to medical school from Idaho each year....lets take a wild guess and say 70 submit an application to U of Utah and to fill those 8 seats they need to accept 12 Idaho residents. 12/70 odds are worth the app)
Qunnipac
Oakland
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Vermont
Crieghton
Penn State
University of Washington
NYMC
Medical College Wisconsin
Albany
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Tulane
Tufts
Jefferson
Saint Louis
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind
Miami
Temple
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Wright State
TCMC

Duke doesn't need the donation in the form of you app fee. Take your parents to dinner instead.

I suggest:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

Quinnipiac

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

U VM

EVMS

Oakland-B

Western MI

Rush

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.

Hey guys,

So I have most of my secondaries in and I'm just waiting to hear back on interviews. I have one DO school (AZCOM) interview already scheduled... but I really would prefer an MD school over DO. I have done a very good job with my ECs and I am not worried about them at all. I am an Idaho resident, cleared for the WWAMI program, but I grew up in AZ and my family and in-laws all live there, attended high school, etc, so I have good ties there. The only thing that concerns me is my CARS score on the new 2015 MCAT. Here are my numbers:

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 507
CP: 129
CARS: 124
BB: 127
PsS: 127

It's just that dang CARS score that doesn't look good. It hits the minimum score req for most mid to low range MD schools, but will it keep me out of MD schools? I want to be realistic about this whole process, but I have also worked my butt off and don't want to sell myself short. I guess now that everything is in and I'm just waiting, I'm starting to get a little anxious and second guess myself. Here are all the MD schools that I applied to:

U of A Phoenix and Tuscon
Loma Linda
University of Colorado
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Duke (Shoot for the stars school... I know, you don't need to tell me)
Creighton
University of Rochester (another school where my MCAT score will be around the 10th percentile for accepted applicants)
University of Utah (They hold 8 seats for Idaho residents)
University of Washington (WWAMI school)

What do you all think? Thanks for the help.

Duke doesn't need the donation in the form of you app fee. Take your parents to dinner instead.

I suggest:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

Quinnipiac

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

U VM

EVMS

Oakland-B

Western MI

Rush

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.
If you're gonna go as broad as possible I'd add Loyola, Penn St., GW, G'town, Wake, Tulane, any new MD schools opening up next year (Seton Hall?), and perhaps USUHS (if you're open to their cost/service trade-off) to Goro's extensive list.

Just an update: I got accepted to my top DO school and turned down the interviews at all the others. I had 3 MD school interviews and got accepted at Creighton. I ended up at my top DO school picking that over the MD school. Much better fit for me and my family and I have loved my school so far. Very happy with my choice

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users