1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

3.97c, 4.0s, 507 MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Strebor14k, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Strebor14k

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys,

So I have most of my secondaries in and I'm just waiting to hear back on interviews. I have one DO school (AZCOM) interview already scheduled... but I really would prefer an MD school over DO. I have done a very good job with my ECs and I am not worried about them at all. I am an Idaho resident, cleared for the WWAMI program, but I grew up in AZ and my family and in-laws all live there, attended high school, etc, so I have good ties there. The only thing that concerns me is my CARS score on the new 2015 MCAT. Here are my numbers:

Overall GPA: 3.97
    Science GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 507
    CP: 129
    CARS: 124
    BB: 127
    PsS: 127

It's just that dang CARS score that doesn't look good. It hits the minimum score req for most mid to low range MD schools, but will it keep me out of MD schools? I want to be realistic about this whole process, but I have also worked my butt off and don't want to sell myself short. I guess now that everything is in and I'm just waiting, I'm starting to get a little anxious and second guess myself. Here are all the MD schools that I applied to:

U of A Phoenix and Tuscon
    Loma Linda
    University of Colorado
    Rosalind Franklin
    Rush
    Duke (Shoot for the stars school... I know, you don't need to tell me)
    Creighton
    University of Rochester (another school where my MCAT score will be around the 10th percentile for accepted applicants)
    University of Utah (They hold 8 seats for Idaho residents)
    University of Washington (WWAMI school)

What do you all think? Thanks for the help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WedgeDawg

Moderator 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're shooting about a 29 equivalent on your MCAT, so combined with your GPA, you still have an even shot. However, you need to apply to more schools than you have, and make sure they're all realistic (ie no Duke, Rochester, etc). It's unfortunate that UW is your only "state" school. Also, you are aware the Loma Linda requires a primary motivation for medicine to be service to Christ, right? Don't apply there if you aren't devoutly Christian.

You should consider adding from schools on this list:

EVMS, VCU, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Albany, TCMC, Tufts, Tulane, and Penn State. Others will chime in with more, I'm sure. If you want a shot at MD, you should apply to well over 20 MD schools (preferably >25 if possible).

gyngyn, Goro and Banco like this.
  4. meeninit

meeninit Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Agreed with the guy above me, apply broadly. Only apply to schools that accept 7 verbal on MSAR (they show the 10th-90th percentile of accepted scores). A 124 CARS is like a 7 verbal and some schools have a screen such that they screen out students with any subsection score under an 8 before further review.

5. Banco

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wedgedawg is right. You have a shot with the right list.

Also consider: MCW, Vermont, WVU, Western Mich, Central Mich, Other DO schools

6. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    These are additional schools where your stats could result in an interview:
    Quinnipiac
    New York Medical College
    Albany
    Drexel
    Temple
    Jefferson
    Penn State
    GW
    Oakland Beaumont
    Western Michigan
    Loyola
    St. Louis
    California Northstate

7. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    IF you're boning for the MD don't waste time and energy on applications that are fantasies for you(Duke, Rochester and I probably wouldn't call Colorado a great choice either) when you could be spending energy on secondaries that are meaningful for you. Also only apply to Loma Linda if you really fit their mission.

The 3.97/30 is hardly a bad combination, but if you really do prefer MD over DO strongly then apply to at least 20-25 schools from what you've been given. The 124 CARs comes out to 44th percentile, that's roughly equivalent to an 8 but with scores and their respective percentiles different from the old MCAT( ie a 7 was around 28-41st percentile, 8 42nd-56th etc now 123 and 124 and 125 don't take on those exact ranges) it is possible schools will set new percentiles for screening out on. 124 might possibly be below that subsection(probably won't at most schools). So in that sense, yes look into MSAR and give strong consideration to schools where the 10th percentile includes a 7 in verbal.

Here are the schools I personally would give strongest consideration to. I tried to list it in some kind of order(not absolute but I'd throw an app at say Oakland before GW or Drexel for sure)

U of Arizona(both)
    U. of Utah(about 180 applicants apply to medical school from Idaho each year....lets take a wild guess and say 70 submit an application to U of Utah and to fill those 8 seats they need to accept 12 Idaho residents. 12/70 odds are worth the app)
    Qunnipac
    Oakland
    Western Michigan
    Wake Forest
    Vermont
    Crieghton
    Penn State
    University of Washington
    NYMC
    Medical College Wisconsin
    Albany
    Eastern Virginia
    VCU
    Tulane
    Tufts
    Jefferson
    Saint Louis
    Rush
    Loyola
    Rosalind
    Miami
    Temple
    Drexel
    GW
    Georgetown
    Wright State
    TCMC

8. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Duke doesn't need the donation in the form of you app fee. Take your parents to dinner instead.

I suggest:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

Quinnipiac

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

U VM

EVMS

Oakland-B

Western MI

Rush

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.

9. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Central MI is highly unfriendly to OOS!

10. Banco

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for catching that, my b.

11. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're gonna go as broad as possible I'd add Loyola, Penn St., GW, G'town, Wake, Tulane, any new MD schools opening up next year (Seton Hall?), and perhaps USUHS (if you're open to their cost/service trade-off) to Goro's extensive list.

12. Strebor14k

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just an update: I got accepted to my top DO school and turned down the interviews at all the others. I had 3 MD school interviews and got accepted at Creighton. I ended up at my top DO school picking that over the MD school. Much better fit for me and my family and I have loved my school so far. Very happy with my choice

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile