3.99, 522, But avg ECs? WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugglinmuggle

Reaction score
  • State of residence: Texas
  • Year in school: senior, graduating in May 2021.
  • Undergraduate major: Biology with Spanish for the Medical Professions Minor
  • GPA: 3.99
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 522 (131, 129, 131, 131)
  • Ethnicity and/or race: White
  • Undergraduate institution or category: The University of Texas at Austin
  • Clinical experience
    • 300 hours as a Medical Assistant for primary care doc
    • 300 volunteering at a children's hospital
  • Research experience and productivity: 250 hrs in a lab studying pediatric traumatic brain injury. I was responsible for getting consent to join are study and then processing blood samples for those who consented. I got low hours because of coronavirus. No pubs.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours with a primary care doc, 60 hours with cardiologist
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 150 hours at a food bank
    • 150 hours as a volunteer tutor for at-risk children
    • 50 hours as a volunteer note-taker for students with disabilities
  • Work Experiences :
    • paid tutor 1500 hours (this was main activity because it was how I paid for college)
    • Biochem Teaching Assistant 120 hours
    • as summer job, worked as the "clubhouse manager" of private community
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • founding VP of a pre-medical organization on my campus. later became the treasurer.
    • member of my school's tennis club
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Distinguished College of Natural Science Scholar (for being in top 4% of class)
    • Second Year Excellence Award
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • I come from a tiny, rural town without many resources.
    • I had to work during college to help cover the costs and that kept me from being able to do more ECs.
Applying for: all TMDSAS, Baylor, Cornell, Yale, NYU, Columbia (should I add more non-TMDSAS schools?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive multiple interviews from your Texas schools so apply to all of them. Apply to any OOS private schools that you would attend instead of your Texas schools.

• State of residence: Texas
  • Year in school: senior, graduating in May 2021.
  • Undergraduate major: Biology with Spanish for the Medical Professions Minor
  • GPA: 3.99
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 522 (131, 129, 131, 131)
  • Ethnicity and/or race: White
  • Undergraduate institution or category: The University of Texas at Austin
  • Clinical experience
    • 300 hours as a Medical Assistant for primary care doc
    • 300 volunteering at a children's hospital
  • Research experience and productivity: 250 hrs in a lab studying pediatric traumatic brain injury. I was responsible for getting consent to join are study and then processing blood samples for those who consented. I got low hours because of coronavirus. No pubs.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hours with a primary care doc, 60 hours with cardiologist
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 150 hours at a food bank
    • 150 hours as a volunteer tutor for at-risk children
    • 50 hours as a volunteer note-taker for students with disabilities
  • Work Experiences :
    • paid tutor 1500 hours (this was main activity because it was how I paid for college)
    • Biochem Teaching Assistant 120 hours
    • as summer job, worked as the "clubhouse manager" of private community
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • founding VP of a pre-medical organization on my campus. later became the treasurer.
    • member of my school's tennis club
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Distinguished College of Natural Science Scholar (for being in top 4% of class)
    • Second Year Excellence Award
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • I come from a tiny, rural town without many resources.
    • I had to work during college to help cover the costs and that kept me from being able to do more ECs.
Applying for: all TMDSAS, Baylor, Cornell, Yale, NYU, Princeton (should I add more non-TMDSAS schools?)

Princeton doesn’t have a medical school.

Among the Ivies, Harvard, Brown, Yale, Penn, Yale and Dartmouth all have medical schools.