3.99 cGPA, 3.98 sGPA, 29 MCAT (help refine my list?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chesterthepig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

The stats:

- 3.99 cGPA, 3.98 sGPA (large public university, double major in molecular biology and psychology)
- 29 MCAT (9/10/10)
- Illinois resident
- Asian female, not URM
- ~80 hours hospital volunteering, I will have a leadership position with the hospital next semester where I will be overseeing volunteers in different units
- 150 hours shadowing in a neuropathology department, have a very good LOC from that experience
- 200+ hours of research in the field of dementia, 2nd author from experience
- I was employed in a microbiology lab for about 4 months, processing patient samples in a hospital
- I am president of a large honor society on campus

So far I've looked at the MSAR and my list includes:

Western michigan (I know this is a newer school, if anyone could shed light on the stats for this school I'd greatly appreciate it!)
Michigan State
Commonwealth (PA)
Penn State
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
UIC
Loyola

I know my chances aren't too great this cycle, but I figured I might as well go for it. I did not consider DO for this cycle (did not realize it was a separate application), but it is something I will consider for my next cycle. I will also be retaking the MCAT before the 2015 format change, although by that time I'll be too late in the cycle.

Please and thank you for any helpful advice, encouragement, anecdotes!

Members don't see this ad.

Your list looks great apart from being short. Your application is pretty good really. I can tell that you are worried about your MCAT, and it might be on the low side for MD schools, but it is just one facet of your application. Great job and keep your head up. If you have the resources and time I would add at least 6 more schools that are similar to the ones on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the optimistic comments :)
I was a little scared I was going to get condemning posts here haha

Anyone else have any advice/ are in the same boat? Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your list is fine but you should consider applying to more schools to maximize your chances for this cycle. Schools where your GPA and MCAT could be competitive would be Oakland Beaumont, St. Louis, Creighton, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, New York Medical College, Albany, Quinnipiac, George Washington.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Faha! You have definitely brought my attention to schools I haven't even considered due to their location (silly, I know)

In order to use the MSAR most effectively, how wide of a range should my MCAT score be from the school's median? So far I've been choosing schools with 1-3 point difference. If anyone could comment on this that'd be great!

You need to apply to at the very least 20 schools. The more the merrier at this point.

Thank you Faha! You have definitely brought my attention to schools I haven't even considered due to their location (silly, I know)

In order to use the MSAR most effectively, how wide of a range should my MCAT score be from the school's median? So far I've been choosing schools with 1-3 point difference. If anyone could comment on this that'd be great!
It depends on whether the school is public or private. Most state public schools accept few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 29 though some are OOS friendly. For private schools 3 to 4 points below the median is OK since you have a very strong GPA which will help you.