3.99 GPA 504 MCAT MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallyBells

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year attending a small private school in MO. Residency in IL
cGPA: 3.99 sGPA 4.0
MCAT: 504

Research
- By the time I apply next cycle, I'll have over 500 hours in Ecology research, with one paper published and 2 poster presentations.
- I'm also debating on doing ochem research next spring, as the professor has asked me to several times, and he pumps out papers like no other. I could probably get 1-2 publications in one semester if I do it, but would it be worth it?

Volunteering
- Non-Clinical: 6 months with BBBS with about 200 hours so far. Will probably be closer to 300-400 by the time I apply.
- Clinical: Hospice ~ 200 hours

Leadership
- Head tutor at my university (is this leadership?): ~1000 hours by application
- Captain of the baseball team

Clinical
- ER scribe ~ 2000 hours by application
- ~ 50 hours DO shadowing

Other
- President of the Pre-Med club for 2 years
- NCAA Athlete throughout college so far, but I'm considering quitting. Would this look bad on an application? It really doesn't make me happy any more, and is cutting into time I could spend working and saving money for med school.
- I have a couple other jobs (work at a sports center, and assistant to my university's IRB), but am unsure if this is worth mentioning.

LOR should be strong, but the only thing that worries my is my MCAT. Its pretty low for MD, and pretty average for DO. Should I consider a retake? I know my ECs aren't anything astonishing, but are there any glaring weaknesses? Anything I need to improve to be more competitive?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your Illinois state public schools
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
If you increase your MCAT to 508 it would help your chances considerably.

If you increase your MCAT to 508 it would help your chances considerably.

Would you think I would be competitive for II at these schools? I don't really want to spend the time to retake the MCAT, and take the chance of doing worse if my current score is good enough. Would you recommend DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you could receive interviews at any of the schools I listed because of your excellent GPA. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to any that interest you.

I disagree with my learned colleague, and think that your chances are best at:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Albany
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

I disagree with my learned colleague, and think that your chances are best at:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Albany
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Thanks for the reply. What are the reasons you disagree with Faha if you don't mind me asking.

Would you recommend an MCAT retake? Would quitting my university's baseball team look bad to adcoms?

Thanks for the reply. What are the reasons you disagree with Faha if you don't mind me asking.

Would you recommend an MCAT retake? Would quitting my university's baseball team look bad to adcoms?
Compare your 504 to the 10th and 25th %iles for the schools on his list that don't match mine.

Quit the team if you have a good reason. Even getting tired of playing is a good reason.