MD 3.99 GPA and 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xene106

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
sd

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
my suggestion is to go ahead and apply now. If you think you can improve your VR score and score 30+, then take the test in July and there's a section in AMCAS where you can let the schools know you're retaking the MCAT.

with your MCAT and GPA, you have a good chance. Just apply early and turn in your secondaries early. Apply to 10+ schools.

Despite your other scores looking good, I don't think any schools will be okay with a 6 in VR. Schools get so many applications that there plenty of people out there without a folly such as a 6. Your best bet would be to retake, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I've heard that the PS section is the least important section of the MCAT. The adcoms focus on the VR and BS sections as an indication on how you will perform on the USMLE step exams and board exams.

Any advice to improve my verbal. Would more practice in TBR be helpful? I noticed during my practices test that I would eliminate the answers to 2 choices almost 80-90% of time, I just may have been unlucky with those decisions.

My suggestion is to read copiously during your free time. Read magazines like the Times, Economist etc in addition to novels such as the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels, Robert Ludlum novels etc. I've always been a voracious reader throughout my life and found that I could score high in VR with minimal study. Yes more practice in TBR is helpful in addition to more AAMC VR questions.

Unfortunately, VR is the hardest to study for. So much of it comes from not only your natural ability to comprehend what you read, but also how much you've read in the past. The best thing is just to make sure you can get your timing down and make sure to answer every single question in the alloted time.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not apply this cycle. I would do everything you can to increase that VR but you can't let the other two slide more than a point or two.

I am going to retake MCAT, now when is another question still. I plan on working on verbal more by practicing passages. Any experience or comments about NextStepTestPrep tutoring? Also if I apply this cycle and indicate on my application that I am retaking, will the schools withhold my application even if I show my only MCAT score. Do you think it is better just to say I am not retaking on application and hope for a potential interview? Also if I change my test date due to not being ready, it would be annoying since I would mark it on my application. What schools in PA/NY/nearby states should I look into?

I am going to retake MCAT, now when is another question still. I plan on working on verbal more by practicing passages. Any experience or comments about NextStepTestPrep tutoring? Also if I apply this cycle and indicate on my application that I am retaking, will the schools withhold my application even if I show my only MCAT score. Do you think it is better just to say I am not retaking on application and hope for a potential interview? Also if I change my test date due to not being ready, it would be annoying since I would mark it on my application. What schools in PA/NY/nearby states should I look into?
If you are committed to retaking the MCAT, I recommend studying for it as long as it takes to get well above your target score and then applying early. A strong first application is priceless.

A VR6 is pretty much lethal in my eyes for MD schools. i suggest a retake, but as the sage gyngyn suggests, only once your VR deficits are fixed.

Despite the VR 6, you're fine for DO schools, even mine.