3.99 GPA, strong EC's, but 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2003mach1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.99 GPA, and also received an award for being the top organic chemistry student in both orgo 1 and 2 and the labs at my University. I have strong EC's including over 250 hours of volunteer work, half of it being non-medical with things such as tutoring or being a camp counselor, the other half being in an ER. This is in addition to going on a 2-month medical mission trip where I served as a doctor's assistant. I'm an EMT and after volunteering in an ER I ended up getting a job there as a Tech after finishing EMT school. I have been working there for almost 2 years. I will be getting strong LOR from professors, boss at work, and the doctor I worked with on my mission trip. Now I feel the only thing that isn't above average about my application is my 30 MCAT score. I was averaging 34's on my practice tests so IDK what happened. What are my chances at getting into med school? Should I retake the MCAT? The next opening isn't until August. And lastly, do I have a shot at getting into a med school like Emory?

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar stats (4.0 and 29). According to the MSAR, Emory has a 10th percentile mcat of 31. So you would be in the bottom 10% as far as mcat goes, but your gpa and ECs might make up for that. According to their site, selection factors include "demonstrating a very high level of scholarship and leadership." I think your gpa demonstrates scholarship (in addition to any honors organizations you belong to) and your ECs definitely demonstrate leadership.

Personally I would apply to Emory as a reach school since your mcat is a bit low.

You have a great chance at getting in somewhere! I don't see that you listed research anywhere, which might be a negative at a school like Emory (top 20 research school). I might focus your list on service-oriented schools instead of research schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory is probably a reach for you but it's not impossible (assuming, like others have said, that you have a background in research). A higher-than-average GPA definitely helps compensate for a lower MCAT (which really isn't low at all and something you should be proud of). You will definitely get into a school.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I just feel bad about my mcat score because I expected to do much better considering all the studying I put into it and the 34's I was averaging on my practice tests. I'm in Florida and will be applying to all the state schools there, but what about private out-of-state schools that focus on clinical experience rather than research? I thought Emory would be a good choice since their website talks a lot about clinical experience. Any other private schools you guys would recommend me applying to?