3.99cGPA, 30Q MCAT.. apply DO too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alyssa0892

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah the EC's are a little iffy (were there any clubs that you were involved in during college?). I'd say don't apply to a DO school though unless you really want to go to one. Your stats are fine for MD. I think what I need to know before giving you further advice is:

What's your state of residency and which schools did you apply to?

Do you have an interest in DO? Have you shadowed one? Do you have a LOR from one?

Are you applying this cycle?

Your volunteering is pretty weak. What are the time frames for those activities?

The manager position is relevant and should be included on your application.

Any other leadership activities? Any teaching/tutoring?

You have a good chance at getting in to a MD school. I wouldn't apply DO unless you really wanted to go there and could express an interest in DO during an interview and in essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the University Honors College (not really an active club though), a social sorority, two Greek organizations (one for leadership, one for scholarship), and the Pre-Medical Society where I will be serving as Education Chair.

I'm from MO.. applying to MU (Mizzou), SLU, and several out of state - would like to stay in midwest (Creighton, Loyola, U of Arkansas, U of Nebraska, U of Iowa, Wright State, U of Arizona, and a few others I need to decide on).

Have not shadowed DOs, but two of my personal physicians are DO. No LOR from one.

Nonclincial ranges from fall 2008-present. One clinical experience was during a semster last year, another is from fall 2010-present. No tutoring. Yes, applying this cycle.

Last edited:
Well that additional post definitely adds on to your list of EC's so make sure to include that in your app. I'd say your chances of acceptance at MU are very good. In fact, your stats even make the cutoff for their Early Decision program (i.e. you're a competitive applicant) which is you must be a MO resident, no less than a 3.75 GPA, and no less than a 30 with no section falling below a 9. Also since it is your state school, the tuition will be significantly lower compared to other schools. :thumbup:

Apply to a DO school if you want to assure yourself of an acceptance, but with your stellar GPA and decent MCAT, there's a pretty good chance you're going to get an allopathic acceptance. If you have time next semester, volunteer at your local hospital so you can introduce some new positive information at your interviews about increased clinical experience.

DO is always a good option.

OP I'm at 3.77/33 and applying to three DO schools. They're not back-ups, I just want to increase the odds I get accepted somewhere. KCUMB, KCOM, VCOM-Carolinas. Take that for what it's worth.