3.9gpa 39MCAT, How does my school list look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boeing112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT- 39 14-14-11
Overall GPA-3.91
sGPA-3.83

-Making my application vague for obvious reasons

-3 years of research w/ 2 publications
-several research fellowships and grants as well as academic awards
-1000+ hours of work experience at my university's technical division- (worked every semester)
-100+ hours of work experience as a receptionist
-500+hours with campus EMT program
-200 hours of volunteering at hospital working with children
-500+hours volunteering at local daycare
-100+hours volunteering with disabled children
-300+hours tutoring elementary school children
-(tentatively ) Fulbright English Teaching scholarship-going to be working/teaching elementary school children
-leader of campus organization 2 years
-TA for Biology(2+years)
-Resident Advisor 2 years
-~50 hours of shadowing

School List-
-UMASS
-BU
-Tufts
-Harvard
-Stanford
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Mayo
-Baylor
-Duke
-Upenn
-Yale
-UMich
-NYU
-UVA
-UChicago

I just want to know if my list is too top heavy and if I am leaving myself with the chance of having absolutely no acceptances when I apply. I really enjoy working with children/teaching and also enjoy the process of research as well and I could definitely write a strong PS as well as strong LORs. I am thinking of taking a gap year(Fulbright) so applying abroad could be a problem too.

Do you all have any advice about my situation?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Excellent chances based on your stats, especially with your strong research.

Awesome application and looks like a good list. Fulbright would be a great gap-year option too. Why no Hopkins, Pritzker, WashU? Any interest in Vandy, Feinburg, UVA, or Mayo? I assume you're not from CA otherwise UCLA, UCSD, and UCSF would be on the list.

Pay attention to the words of faculty members that post here. I've seen @Goro give some great school list advice, and the others (LizzyM, gyngyn, Catalystik, among others) are also very helpful. Hopefully Goro will be by shortly to take a list at your post now that I've tagged him here.

Sell that application and shoot for the stars. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome application and looks like a good list. Fulbright would be a great gap-year option too. Why no Hopkins, Pritzker, WashU? Any interest in Vandy, Feinburg, UVA, or Mayo? I assume you're not from CA otherwise UCLA, UCSD, and UCSF would be on the list.

Pay attention to the words of faculty members that post here. I've seen @Goro give some great school list advice, and the others (LizzyM, gyngyn, Catalystik, among others) are also very helpful. Hopefully Goro will be by shortly to take a list at your post now that I've tagged him here.

Sell that application and shoot for the stars. Congratulations!

For many of the schools you mentioned, I think location was the biggest factor for me not choosing those schools, but I will definitely add Pritzker, UVA, and Mayo. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

For many of the schools you mentioned, I think location was the biggest factor for me not choosing those schools, but I will definitely add Pritzker, UVA, and Mayo. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Good luck. Here's to hoping to see you in Charlottesville for an interview visit. :luck:

In all of my time persusing SDN, this is one of the strongest apps I've ever seen. Definitely aim high. Suggest considering JHU, Emory, Pitt, Vandy, Northwestern, and yes, even UCSD or UCSF. Somebody from OOS has to get into them!

Good luck!

MCAT- 39 14-14-11
Overall GPA-3.91
sGPA-3.83

-Making my application vague for obvious reasons

-3 years of research w/ 2 publications
-several research fellowships and grants as well as academic awards
-1000+ hours of work experience at my university's technical division- (worked every semester)
-100+ hours of work experience as a receptionist
-500+hours with campus EMT program
-200 hours of volunteering at hospital working with children
-500+hours volunteering at local daycare
-100+hours volunteering with disabled children
-300+hours tutoring elementary school children
-(tentatively ) Fulbright English Teaching scholarship-going to be working/teaching elementary school children
-leader of campus organization 2 years
-TA for Biology(2+years)
-Resident Advisor 2 years
-~50 hours of shadowing

School List-
-UMASS
-BU
-Tufts
-Harvard
-Stanford
-Columbia
-Cornell