3 AM still awake...should get up at 5 to write my MCAT at 8 AM(July 31)...

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
around
Status
Medical Student
i thought I'd share this......i was so prepared for my exam(July 31) and believe it or not i was so happy that I'm writing it.....so I went to sleep at 10PM and could not sleep and now it's 3 AM.........

so I was so freaking mad (first time in my life not being able to sleep)but then i thought maybe I'm destined not to write it today....

so i felt like sharing.......and now at this point i don't know what to say....

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i thought I'd share this......i was so prepared for my exam(July 31) and believe it or not i was so happy that I'm writing it.....so I went to sleep at 10PM and could not sleep and now it's 3 AM.........

so I was so freaking mad (first time in my life not being able to sleep)but then i thought maybe I'm destined not to write it today....

so i felt like sharing.......and now at this point i don't know what to say....
Dog, you skipping today? It depends, why don't you just try to sleep and wake up for the test. That way, if you feel like you've done one of your best and were fairly confident on the answers, good. If not, you can void it. Too late to change the date anyway. Good luck to you.

OP
UBCvan

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
around
Status
Medical Student
i tried to sleep for 5 hours.......nothing happend..........i'm sure i cant sit down to write a 6-hour exam without sleeping the night before.....i thought i just book another one in a month and since i'm prepared, i keep practicing and be even more prepared...because the max composite i ever came to was 27...so i should improve it...

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I know it's easier said than done, but you still definitely have a good chance of performing to your potential. Remember that the 8-hour sleep rule is a man made definition. Hoping that on previous days this week you've had a good night's sleep, one day of getting only 4-5 hours shouldn't hurt you too largely.

Obviously I haven't taken the MCAT, but we've all struggled with this before important exams, so I can definitely relate.. it's one of the worst feelings when you just can't fall asleep. Don't feel as if your MCAT shot is over yet though. It's not.

AspiringDOC2010

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey UBC, if you're still there, take the exam. Seriously, a lot of people don't get good rest the night before. I didn't. I think I got maybe 3 hours of sleep. Will it affect your performance? Most likely. You'll be running on pure adrenaline. But if you don't like how you did, just void it. You paid the money, so at least get the feel for what the test is like.

AspiringDOC2010

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
By the way, I originally scheduled for June 18th, but did not get one minute of sleep. I just laid awake in bed and couldn't sleep. Anyway, I didn't show up to the exam, thereby voiding it. I kinda wish I did at least attempt the exam, if not to score it but at least to get a feel for the actual thing. Good luck!

OP
UBCvan

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
around
Status
Medical Student
By the way, I originally scheduled for June 18th, but did not get one minute of sleep. I just laid awake in bed and couldn't sleep. Anyway, I didn't show up to the exam, thereby voiding it. I kinda wish I did at least attempt the exam, if not to score it but at least to get a feel for the actual thing. Good luck!
you are now making me think.....this is hard...

maybe the only reason why i would write it is to practice..i dont know....if i click on the "score my test" i wouldnt be encouraged to study afterwards until i get my score which would most likely be crappy...

you know what... i'll sleep and see what happens in the morning...probably do it as a practice

Hemichordate

Peds
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Huh? I think you confused me with someone else. Btw, I was wondering if UCB ended up taking it today?

OP
UBCvan

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
around
Status
Medical Student
hey guys,

i woke up today after sleeping for 1 hour (4-5 AM) and was just so tired physically and emotionally..... so i decided i don't go for it....because i thought if I write it and void it, it would be like a torture and I will never know how I did because with MCAT you never know how you do....then I thought if I select to mark it I wouldn't be able to study for the next month until I get my score back....and seriously my max mark for practices was a 27 at my best......and now with that going on i would definitely get lower.....

as you guys mentioned that it's good to get a feel for the real thing, I absolutely agree but seriously i was devastated emotionally and I know it would have been ugly in the exam session......

so hopefully i can get a seat in september becaues i'm so ready and i can only focus on practicing until then....if there is any available...

however, i really wanna thank all of you for the support...i love this forum b/c its members help each other in tough situations.....

Jul 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey UCBVan,

sounds like you made the right choice given your circumstances. I was really paranoid about not falling asleep as well, and a couple of things worked well for me. #1, I started getting up at 6 am the week before, and did so every day that week even though I don't start work til 10. I also took all of my practice tests at 8am. #2, I've read a number of places that the worst thing to do when you have insomnia is to go to bed early. Don't go to bed until you're tired, getting up at 6 am (maybe even earlier) the day before will help you get tired at a reasonable hour. Either way, it's better to go to bed tired at midnight than to force yourself to go to bed at 10 when you aren't because that's 2 hours with nothing to do but stress about the mcat!

I also remember wanting to fall asleep that night and remembering reading something about pressure on your eyeballs stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system. I tried it for a bit and it actually felt a bit calming. I remember waking up in the middle of the night thinking "yes! I fell asleep." Then, of course I had to fall asleep all over again.

Anyway, you may have already tried those tricks, but if not, keep them in mind for next time, and good luck!

OP
UBCvan

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
around
Status
Medical Student
Hey UCBVan,

sounds like you made the right choice given your circumstances. I was really paranoid about not falling asleep as well, and a couple of things worked well for me. #1, I started getting up at 6 am the week before, and did so every day that week even though I don't start work til 10. I also took all of my practice tests at 8am. #2, I've read a number of places that the worst thing to do when you have insomnia is to go to bed early. Don't go to bed until you're tired, getting up at 6 am (maybe even earlier) the day before will help you get tired at a reasonable hour. Either way, it's better to go to bed tired at midnight than to force yourself to go to bed at 10 when you aren't because that's 2 hours with nothing to do but stress about the mcat!

I also remember wanting to fall asleep that night and remembering reading something about pressure on your eyeballs stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system. I tried it for a bit and it actually felt a bit calming. I remember waking up in the middle of the night thinking "yes! I fell asleep." Then, of course I had to fall asleep all over again.

Anyway, you may have already tried those tricks, but if not, keep them in mind for next time, and good luck!
hey bear,

i should really try doing my practice exams at 8 AM...that seems to be very helpful.....

thanks for the inputs...

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I might suggest that you schedule for a noon or 2 PM administration. That way, if this happens again and you have trouble falling asleep the night before the test you can probably sleep in and make up for it.

DrDre2001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2008
Status
I am definitely sure that many people can't sleep the night before the MCAT. From what I remember, I don't think I slept that well either. I believe I got about 4 hours in. If I hadn't gotten one minute of sleep, I still might have taken the test because it wouldnt have been like i would have been awake for 90 hours straight. It likely would have been only 20 hours straight, counting back to the day before's sleep.

Also, i've found that Unisom is great sleeping aid. Its active ingredient is either doxylamine succinate or hcl. I recommend the doxylamine succinate type. If you've ever taken nyquil, doxylamine succinate is the ingredient in there that makes you drowsy and sleep. It could possibly become habit forming, but i only use it when i have a huge test the next day.

May 16, 2009
Status
i just took some sleeping pills and a shot of nyquil... got 8 hours and did my best ever!

Aug 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey UCBVan,

Wow for the longest time I thought I was the only one who got test anxiety and couldn't sleep the night before a huge exam. The night before my Chemistry exam in First Year I slept a max. of 3 hours and it was a 4 hour exam. It was terrible!!!! But I'll try your tricks, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread...glad to know others get insomnia the night before too.. IT IS THE WORST feeling ever!

Tutmos

MS0
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I've voided twice for this exact reason. I did everything you would think a person should to enable a good night sleep, getting up early, replicating sleep / wake cycle you need for test day for more than a week in advance, no changes to environment yadda yadda but no dice. When it came the night of test day my head was so crammed with facts and plans for how to deal with variations in the test that I couldn't shut down. My eyes shot around even while closed and trying to blank things out and think of nothing.

If you get a couple hours of sleep, don't take it. I don't know what some people are thinking posting here that it won't make a difference since it's only a 20 hour period but very obviously you will not perform at your peak and most certainly won't process as quickly as you normally do. Also make sure to test, in advance, any sleep meds you're planning to use to see how they affect you. A lot of them will give you a nasty hangover symptom the next day, not something you want. I ended up seeing my physician and getting Ambien for the test and managed about 6 hours of sleep. I don't know how the score turned out but I wasn't nodding off or realizing I had 2 minutes left to finish two passages. I was alert and aware of my pacing etc.

Do it right, do it once! That doesn't mean to not go. I support going to take it with the intent of voiding to get the experience of test day but don't score it thinking it wasn't so bad. The odds are with one hour of sleep your perception will be skewed and you might just be creating a huge roadblock for yourself having to explain why you scored below your ability on one test and then took the test a second time. If you get pushed to the next cycle by it well it's better than being rejected because you were in a race to apply.

I may end up with a crap score, but it won't be because I wasn't awake. I'll have to blame it on too much Vivarin or something else besides my lack of ability. :)