3 Clinics to Pay $2.39M to Settle False Claims Act Allegations re Viscosupplementation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 Clinics to Pay $2.39M to Settle False Claims Act Allegations re Viscosupplementation:

Three orthopedic clinics will pay a total of $2.39 million to settle federal and state False Claims Act allegations, according toKRCRTV.com.

The involved clinics include:

• Chico-based Orthopedic Associates of Northern California — $815,794
• Redlands, Calif.-based San Bernardino Medical Orthopaedic Group, DBA Arrowhead Orthopaedics — $971,903
• Reno (Nev.) Orthopaedic Clinic — $602,335

Here are five things to know:

1. The three orthopedic clinics allegedly billed federal and state healthcare programs for re-imported osteoarthritis medications, called viscosupplements.

2. Allegedly, the clinics bought discounted viscosupplements that were re-imported from foreign countries. They then billed state and federal healthcare programs for reimbursements, even though the re-imported viscosupplements did not qualify as reimbursable.

3. The federal government claimed that since the products were re-imported, they could have been altered or stored inappropriately.

4. The lawsuit came to fruition after a senior musculoskeletal specialty manger at Sanofi S.A. — a manufacturer of viscosupplements — filed it via the False Claims Act.

5. The court has not yet determined any liability; the settlement is just based on allegations.

http://www.beckersspine.com/orthope...-claims-act-allegations-5-things-to-know.html

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the profiting whistleblower is Sanofi which makes authentic and expensive hyalgan.

i am fairly certain that this is a strategy that one of our posters has promoted -- using generic or "reimported" visco b/c it is cheaper. i wont name him here b/c i dont want to cause trouble, but sufficed to say this is a bad idea

For minute I got nervous about the "false claims" part. I may have to stop telling my patients hyalgan is gonna cure their and asthma fix their CAD... damn Feds

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile