3 Econ Courses per Semester.. Consistently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wasted Energy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this with economics or a similar subject? I'm a junior so I have 3 semesters left, each containing 3 econ courses. I'm not asking about the difficulty, I think I can handle that, but I think the monotony might get to me. It might be different if I LOVED economics, but I kind of painted myself into a corner in terms of majors that would allow me to graduate in 4 years. (prereqs aren't a problem)

Just looking for thoughts from someone who may have had a similar experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Then graduate in 4.5 years, or 5 years. Spending 3 more semesters majoring in something you don't like is...well...wasted energy.

Yeah I'd say most important thing is to find a major that you do well in and will be able to show enthusiasm for, since it will come up in interviews and your major GPA obviously shapes your cumulative GPA substantially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid point, and I agree with you... but money is an issue.

Nice play on words btw. I was wondering how soon that would happen.:laugh:

As a student that double majored in college, I'd say work hard for a year and a half and get it done. Don't let your gpa slip. Econ is a great additional major to have (In my opinion of course).

I almost minored in econ! My shortcomings in macro changed my mind on that...
but I took a few econ courses and TA'd for it! If you like it, do it!

Yeah I was thinking of majoring in Econ until the first test in macro... all of a sudden science and the humanities were looking more appealing.

I took intro macro, macro theory, and advanced macro case studies during the same semester. Ironically, I got a B in the intro course. Undergrad econ is pretty easy as long as you're comfortable with graphs. In terms of raw info, It's significantly easier than any cell molec, genetics, or orgo class.

Granted, it does help if you're interested in the subject.

Has anyone done this with economics or a similar subject? I'm a junior so I have 3 semesters left, each containing 3 econ courses. I'm not asking about the difficulty, I think I can handle that, but I think the monotony might get to me. It might be different if I LOVED economics, but I kind of painted myself into a corner in terms of majors that would allow me to graduate in 4 years. (prereqs aren't a problem)

Just looking for thoughts from someone who may have had a similar experience.

Go for it. Economics is awesome and you'll have no problem with three together.

I can't say that I consistently took 3 Econ classes per semester, but I did double major in biology and economics in undergrad and I think taking 3 Econ at once is definitely doable. This is obviously school dependent, but at my undergrad one you got past the theory courses, the electives were really interesting (healthcare econ, environmental econ, economic growth in Africa) and I enjoyed the break from heavy science classes. Anyways, for your case I'd say just power through it! Econ is way less studying than sciences, so I think you'll be okay.

You'll be fine. I was an econ major, and took 2 - 3 econ courses every semester. If your school is like mine, you can have some say in your electives. Some semesters I had a lot of quantitative stuff going on (game theory, advanced micro stuff, research), and other semesters I had a lot more qualitative stuff (development/growth, healthcare, environmental). Enjoy!

I do feel better knowing the courses get a little more tolerable after the theory classes (I'm assuming micro/macro?). I guess I was just bummed that the rest of my college career will consist of econ classes almost exclusively.

I do feel better knowing the courses get a little more tolerable after the theory classes (I'm assuming micro/macro?). I guess I was just bummed that the rest of my college career will consist of econ classes almost exclusively.

Nothing wrong with that. Econ is truly interesting and it'll enrich your experience. If you're sciency, you can always add a science elective and spread out your schedule

I think I might do that (add a couple of science electives). Don't have any LORs yet, so I probably need to do that actually.