3 interviews down..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soon2bdoc2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I visited Boston Medical, Montefiore, and UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson this past couple of weeks. I am hearing that this is going to be an insanely competetive year for the gas match, Montefiore people stated 1200 applications to date for 17 spots. So far I found something to love about each of these programs, hopefully one of them will find something to like about me.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1200 is about the entire number of residency openings across the country, no?

So...what happens to all of the people who don't match? And where did all of these people come from? It makes me wonder what will happen once the pendulum swings back towards the middle...

That doesn't sound right since there are only 15,000 graduates from US medical schools each year.

Sorry, should have specified; 1,200 seems to be the number of anesthesiology slots, not overal number of residency positions.

From the NRMP Data Table 1 from 2002

Anesthesiology, PGY-1 Open positions: 392
Anesthesiology, PGY-2 Open possitions: 777

Total: 1169

I would imagine this number is a bit fluid from year to year. Please let me know if I am misinterpreting these data tables