3 SLOEs from 1 rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK53

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying to ERAS this fall for EM programs. I want some advice from you on LORs/SLOEs for emergency medicine. Most programs are asking me for 3 total letter at least 1/2 SLOEs from EM. I have 3 SLOEs from my one EM rotation. My next rotation for EM starts in October.

My question is should I just send all 3 SLOEs from the 1 month rotation or do I throw strong letters form IM/ICU/ OB? I have asked one of the 3 attendings who wrote me the letter and he said I should send all 3 SLOEs and then send a 4th SLOE next month when/if it comes in next month. My only concern about that is that I look like someone who slacked on other rotations and just picked himself up for EM. Any advice is gratly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard someone getting 3SLOES from one rotation. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a SLOE in the first place. My understanding was that SLOEs are like a composite letter from that department and is usually 1 per rotation?!

I knew that my 2nd rotation would not be until October so i asked 3 attendings, one of which was the clerkship director. The other 2 offered to write SLOEs when asked so I didn't make a deal that time about whether it was a SLOE or LoR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not accept 3 SLOEs from the same program from an applicant. SLOEs are meant to be a composite so I would only look at the one from the clerkship director. You can have one SLOE and multiple LORs from the same program however.

Where did these SLOE's come from? A residency program would never give you three SLOE's...did you rotate at a community hospital and ask 3 docs to fill out the SLOE form?

I would not suggest submitting three SLOE's from one rotation. You would be better off getting one, even if non-emergency medicine, from a different month.

I would not accept 3 SLOEs from the same program from an applicant. SLOEs are meant to be a composite so I would only look at the one from the clerkship director. You can have one SLOE and multiple LORs from the same program however.

We would see this a lot... 2, 3, even 4 SLOEs from one program. Yes, the only one that counts is the one from the PD/CD. The rest... sure, I'd look at the comment section.
What amused me is how often, when multiple SLOEs came from one program, that the demographic information didn't match up. Remember a chunk of the middle is how this applicant matched up with other former applicants and is supposed to be completed after a comparison to previous applicant cycles. So when this information isn't consistent across multiple SLOEs from the same place, it tells me either one of the people there didn't do their due dilligence in completing this part, nobody there did their due dilligence, or they're all just making up numbers. Regardless it kind of invalidates all of the SLOEs.