3 waitlists WILL I GET IN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PelicanMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am on 3 wait lists.

At emory, Pritzker, and UF. What do you guys think are my chances of getting into one of them? Statistically speaking

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

67.32% of all statistics are made up.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by TechMan:
•67.32% of all statistics are made up.•••••That used to be my signature!
But it was:

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by TechMan:
•67.32% of all statistics are made up.•••••And so is this one. :wink:

In reality, no one can say if you'll get in. Some waitlists have a lot of movement, others don't. No med schools that I know of publish stats on number of applicants taken off of waitlists. I know it's a crappy way to look at it, but the more waitlists you're on, the better your chances are obviously. It's not a typical year, plus the applicant pool is stronger this year, so I expect a lot of movement in the summer. At least I hope so!

Check out USnews.com and you can find out the stats for two years ago of how many people were offered and how many got in. You can get a rough estimate of how much movement you will see at each school.

I think the best thing to do is call the schools and ask if you can find out what your chances are. I know most people are too scared to call, but for the most part it's not that big of a deal. Many schools will let you know approx. where you stand (like top third etc) and how much movement they generally see and at what time in the year.

Pelican, I have it on good word that you will get taken off the waitlist!

I asked the magic 8-ball ( <a href="http://www.greetingsamerica.net/Magic8ball.asp" target="_blank">http://www.greetingsamerica.net/Magic8ball.asp</a> ) whether you'd get taken off and the answer was:

"Definitely."

Congrats!

I asked "Will I get into a medical school this year?"

Magic 8-Ball said "yes!"

Damn. You guys are awsome :) :) .

Thanks for giving the pelican some support and if the magic 8 ball says I'll get in then I am definetly in. I think I am going to look for an apartment now. :)

I can't believe you guys were thinking about the poor little pelican. I just fly around all day long looking for a med school to land in.

By the way I actually called Pritzker to ask my chances and the thing is that they really don't know yet because they are still looking at applicants. She told me that they would know in May. Actually right now I am not even on any waiting lists. I am on in the alternate pool whatever the hell that is?

Well enough ranting for now.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by TechMan:
•67.32% of all statistics are made up.•••••That used to be my signature!
But it was:

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!•••••"There are 3 kinds of lies...Lies..damn lies..and statistics.."

I just asked the magic 8 ball if I will be at Pritzker next year and it said YES.

:clap: :clap: :D :D :D :D :D

I'm confused Pelican (and I'm glad you finally registered by the way!) :D

I think you are on hold at UF. I think they will establish a wait list in April, or possibly this Monday night at their meeting. Are you sure you are on the alternate list and not just the hold list? They interviewed 300 people and have accepted 53, the rest are on hold.

Straight from my student host: Each interviewer giives u a score of 1-5. If you get 2 fives automatically, you get accpeted the week after your interview. Otherwise you get put on hold. The interviewer who gave you a higher score becomes your advocate and the other doesn't speak for you anymore (although I guess he/she still could).

So you still have a great shot at an accetpance!

I am glad you noticed my existence Dr. Foxy.

I am on the hold list at UF, but I am assuming that they will place me on hold in mid april. I am kinda expecting the worst. Thanks for the support though :) :)

I LOVE PRITZKER
PLEASE ACCEPT ME PRITZKER

Members don't see this ad :)
pelican man,
you seem to have all the luck. 3 magic-8 balls say your in. Better start packing your bags!

Question:

My friend called up USF after he was waitlisted and Dr.X said he had a "good number". What does that mean. Any body else get good vibs from a top dog at any med schools?

As for getting off the waitlists, I don't really know, but at least your chances are better than if you were only on 1. :)

As for asking the 8-ball, I asked two questions:

1. Will I get into med school? *In A While*

2. Is the magic 8-ball reliable? *Unlikely, But it's within your power to make it happen*

I just calculated that there is a 5% chance that I will get either rejected from all 3 waitlists or a 5% chance that I get accepted from all 3 waitlists.

I am feeling pretty good.

Elementary Watson.

Well here is what I did and I'm pretty sure its right if its wrong somebody please correct me.

Well using the stats from UNNEWS I calculated the chances of getting accepted based on how many interviewed and how many acceptances they gave. At each school it is about 38% chance. Then I just multiplied 38% to the third power. This gave me around 5%. This 5% is like if you were to flip a coin what are the chances it would land on heads 3 times in a row. Similar situation but I calulated what are the chances of getting rejected by all the schools. I hope this makes sense. I took statistics in high school so I could be wrong.

THE PELICAN MAN

I just asked the 8 ball if I would get off of Penn's waitlist. It told me "WAIT". What the &*#*(&^# does it think I'm doing already!!!

Grrrrrrr. :mad:

BTW I'm on 5 waitlists: Penn, Pitt, Cornell, Michigan and Hopkins. Wonder what my chances are? :confused:

1. If you have a decent premed advisor from your undergrad, ask him/her. Good advisors will know what the trends are for different schools across the nation, and may even call up the admissions office for you to try to get some extra info. Hopefully the advisor can tell you in general how many people usually get in off of the waitlist at those schools.

2. If you don't have a good premed advisor, try to get the attention of the member "gower" on this site (I think he/she also peruses medicalgold.com). Someone last year called gower the Deep Throat of med school admissions. He/she has a lot of legitimate information and gives very sound advice.

3. Call the admissions offices of those schools in April or May and point-blank ask them what percentage of people typically get off of the waitlist. They might tell you, they might not.

Go look up the # of acceptances and # of interviewed applicants for each school.

For example, 200 accepted out of 400 interviewed =.5 chance of acceptance.

Do that for each school, and you will X, Y, & Z acceptance rate for each school.

The probability of getting into school X or Y or Z = X + Y + Z.

Standard deviation of about .2 ?

However, as we all know, this entire admissions thing is a crap shoot, so I don't think the statistics will be accurate.

Gower may talk to you, but after that, he'd have to kill you. But seriously, what's wrong with asking the school? I'm reasonably sure when i was placed on the Pritzker w/l (since withdrew) and called up, they gave me pretty good info (since forgot, sorry :(). Give 'em a call! --Trek