3 W's and a 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawaiiHereICome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is asking how bad 3 W's a 4.0 GPA and switching schools will hurt him. He just couldn't make it work at his current school.

I'm wondering the same thing, since I too switched schools, have a withdraw and a pretty good GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is answering that your friend's MCAT will attract offers if it is good enough. I agree with my friend.

My friend is curious what the W's are in.

My friend is answering that your friend's MCAT will attract offers if it is good enough. I agree with my friend.

My friend is curious what the W's are in.

I'm confused:confused:
Please, stop the "my friend wants to know..." questions. We all know it's really you! :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
I like my friend whose friend is a good friend:laugh:

My friend has never used a computer and does not know how to type. Can he/she complete her applications with a pen? He/she is also afraid of people. Can he/she interview over the phone?

I think that 3 W's and a 4.0 makes your friend look like a crazy perfectionist who can't handle failure. That's truly scary.

My friend is asking how bad 3 W's a 4.0 GPA and switching schools will hurt him. He just couldn't make it work at his current school.

I'm wondering the same thing, since I too switched schools, have a withdraw and a pretty good GPA.

its pretty funny that even though no one knows who the op is in real life, he/she still finds the need to differentiate himself from his "friend"... like the answer would be different

Actually "my friend" is my little brother

I have a 3.8 at UCI in Chem Engineering.

We both attend UCI, but he's burned out and wants to withdraw.

Lol I suppose it doesn't matter who it is, the question still stands

Actually "my friend" is my little brother

I have a 3.8 at UCI in Chem Engineering.

We both attend UCI, but he's burned out and wants to withdraw.

Lol I suppose it doesn't matter who it is, the question still stands

yes, I'm sure not being able to handle UC Irvine's grueling undergrad curriculum is a great indicator for a successful career in medicine.

Medicine is like the Sociology of graduate schools, except for an MA in Sociology...which would fall somewhere between Wyotech and Cosmetology...

Lol, you think Chem Engineering is easy? I completely understand why he feels burned out. Maybe I should just tell him to suck it up? What do you think?

well, i hate to play captain obvious... but maybe he shouldnt drop out... maybe he should relax a little, maybe let the gpa slide down to 3.9, and not feel so burned by studying that he wants to leave...
just a thought...

If the 3 Ws are together, then it could look very bad. It suggets that he has academic problems, which adcoms will avoid. Adcoms are looking for consistency. Better to finish the courses and get 3 Bs than to withdraw, in my opinion (especially with a 4.0 to absorb it).

Lol, you think Chem Engineering is easy? I completely understand why he feels burned out. Maybe I should just tell him to suck it up? What do you think?

tell him that a 4.0 in chem engineering is not a prereq for med school? why engineering... if he isnt enjoying it, why not try somehting else? is he gonna be a doctor or an engineer?

well, i hate to play captain obvious... but maybe he shouldnt drop out... maybe he should relax a little, maybe let the gpa slide down to 3.9, and not feel so burned by studying that he wants to leave...
just a thought...

He should definatly drop out! A 3.9 from UCI will do nicely if he wants a great career in burger flipping, but only poeple with 4.0's and no W's can be good doctors.

On a serious note, I know somone last year who withdrew from physics because she was going to get a B, then enrolled in the class at a local community college where she got an easy A. I hope this comes back to get her when its her turn to apply to med school.

(i stuck it out and took the B, because i didn't want to explain why i withdrew from a class at my 4 year university then enrolled in the same class at a tiny community college)

A few W's won't hurt, as long as they aren't in prereq classes, but I mean, with a 4.0 why bother withdrawing?

Sounds like your brother is under a lot of pressure. He will be under a lot more pressure in med school. Neither 3Ws nor 3Bs look good on a transcript that has straight As.

I'm more concerned about his mental and physical health right about now. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you and/or your brother think that having 3Ws is more important than taking a break to stay healthy. To me there is no comparison, make sure he takes a break!!! If he doesn't get help or take a break and burns out completely, you will have much bigger problems to deal with.

OMG, he just completely withdrew without telling me first ..... :(

F*** I don't have time for this crap right now.

What should I tell him to do? Go home and take classes from a the local CSU? Give up on medicine. Take a break from school? Put a bullet through his head. Lol, I think he's depressed and burned out. This is understandable, he left highschool after only one year spent a year at a JC and now attends [actually that should be past tense] UCI.

Well on the bright side, he still has his 4.0. Lol if he doesn't kill himself i think our parents will do it for him.

sigh...

Let him take break. Have him go see a counselor at school or possibly a therapist or both. I suspect that there is a lot more under the surface here. Also make sure that he gets involved with non-academic volunteer activities, that is make sure that during this break he doesn't just stay home. Staying at home would just make him more depressed.