3-year Air Force Dental HPSP (Class of 2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cheese Stands Alone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I wanted to create a thread for those in the class of 2020 who are pursuing the 3-year Air Force HPSP. I have a few questions about the process and was also hoping to get those answered.

I have been working with an AF recruiter for the past few months now and was told that I would find out whether or not I was accepted on September 1st, 2016. I was told not to worry about MEPS until after I was accepted. Is that common? I thought that MEPS was supposed to take place before an acceptance.

I have had my interview already. I was required to have an in-person interview. I thought that most of the time the interviews were supposed to be over the phone. Regardless, I feel that the interview went well. My recruiter told me that the main things that were considered with regard to gaining an acceptance are DAT score and interview score. Is this true? How much sway does the interviewer have?

Lastly, does anyone know how many slots the AF has open for the 3-year program? I was told that 2-year and 4-year are both more competitive than the 3-year. Has anyone else heard this?

Best of luck to everyone applying!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
How was your interview? What questions did they ask you? How long was the interview?

Hi,
How was your interview? What questions did they ask you? How long was the interview?
The interview lasted for about 1.5 hours. I really enjoyed the interview and the individual who interviewed me. It was a very laid back interview and they were really just trying to get a feel for me as a person. They asked me about why I was interested in the Air Force, what my future plans were (where I saw myself in a few years), and what leadership experiences I have had. Do you have one coming up?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview lasted for about 1.5 hours. I really enjoyed the interview and the individual who interviewed me. It was a very laid back interview and they were really just trying to get a feel for me as a person. They asked me about why I was interested in the Air Force, what my future plans were (where I saw myself in a few years), and what leadership experiences I have had. Do you have one coming up?

Thank you for answering me. I am planning to apply for next cycle and I'm studying for the DAT now. I am just doing a little more research about the program. How many people interviewed you? And what did you find to be the hardest question? And also did they do your physical examination afterwards or do they do it later? What state are you from? After the interview do you feel it is worth it to get into the program? Thank you so much, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you for answering me. I am planning to apply for next cycle and I'm studying for the DAT now. I am just doing a little more research about the program. How many people interviewed you? And what did you find to be the hardest question? And also did they do your physical examination afterwards or do they do it later? What state are you from? After the interview do you feel it is worth it to get into the program? Thank you so much, I would really appreciate your help.

And any other question you remember please let me know. I would like to prep my self. Also do they make us sign anything afterwards

Hi all. I wanted to create a thread for those in the class of 2020 who are pursuing the 3-year Air Force HPSP. I have a few questions about the process and was also hoping to get those answered.

I have been working with an AF recruiter for the past few months now and was told that I would find out whether or not I was accepted on September 1st, 2016. I was told not to worry about MEPS until after I was accepted. Is that common? I thought that MEPS was supposed to take place before an acceptance.

I have had my interview already. I was required to have an in-person interview. I thought that most of the time the interviews were supposed to be over the phone. Regardless, I feel that the interview went well. My recruiter told me that the main things that were considered with regard to gaining an acceptance are DAT score and interview score. Is this true? How much sway does the interviewer have?

Lastly, does anyone know how many slots the AF has open for the 3-year program? I was told that 2-year and 4-year are both more competitive than the 3-year. Has anyone else heard this?

Best of luck to everyone applying!!
Based on my personal experience, I would say everything your recruiter said has been spot on regarding MEPS, board date, and selection criteria.

Interviews in the AF are all done in person now. I would say they are important but probably not the deciding factor.

The HPSP committee is just like any admission committee. They look at everything and compare applicants holistically.

not to hijack the thread but I am considering the 3 year AF HSPS as well and I will start dental school this August, when is the deadline to apply and I am already too late?

Does anyone know if the Air Force HPSP board meeting this August is the last one for the year and how many slots are available for the 3 year scholarship?

Does anyone know if the Air Force HPSP board meeting this August is the last one for the year and how many slots are available for the 3 year scholarship?

My recruiter told me the Air Force has ~14 4 yr HPSP and ~45 3 yr HPSP scholarships.

Whether this August is the last board or not depends on whether or not the mission closes- if they have enough applicants and give out all the scholarships, then it is the last board. If they do not, then it's not the last board.

Based on my personal experience, I would say everything your recruiter said has been spot on regarding MEPS, board date, and selection criteria.

Interviews in the AF are all done in person now. I would say they are important but probably not the deciding factor.

The HPSP committee is just like any admission committee. They look at everything and compare applicants holistically.

OP mentioned that DAT score and interview score as the chief decision factors- does this mean GPA is not as significant?

has anyone heard anything for the 3 year this cycle yet? Also, was anyone else asked to fill out a security clearance packet thats like 127 pages?

has anyone heard anything for the 3 year this cycle yet? Also, was anyone else asked to fill out a security clearance packet thats like 127 pages?
Mine wasn't 127 pages but i did have to fill one out

Last edited:
I am in the process of applying for the 3 year (class of 2021). Did anyone doing the 3 year for class of 2020 have to do MEPS? I already did my medical and optometric exams, and my recruiter says these will basically replace MEPS.

They typically want you to do MEPS. I think you have to to be considered medically qualified. Also, just a word of warning, this scholarship is VERY competetive. Recruiters will often times over-exaggerate an applicant's chances of getting accepted for the scholarship to get them to sign up. I only say this so people will be aware and not bank on it as a for sure thing.

No matter what your recruiter says about your chances, remember this: they get ratings based on how many people they get signed up. So definitely apply, it's a great program, I would just be planning for a plan B as well.

I am in the process of applying for the 3 year (class of 2021). Did anyone doing the 3 year for class of 2020 have to do MEPS? I already did my medical and optometric exams, and my recruiter says these will basically replace MEPS.
Did you fill out an online medical history via DoDMETS then go to a contracted (Concorde) Optometrist and Physician? It is a process managed by DoDMERB and similar to the ROTC and Service Academy applicant process. No 'duck walk' right? I wonder if they are changing the process for HPSP, or if you don't live near a MEP station.

Did you fill out an online medical history via DoDMETS then go to a contracted (Concorde) Optometrist and Physician? It is a process managed by DoDMERB and similar to the ROTC and Service Academy applicant process. No 'duck walk' right? I wonder if they are changing the process for HPSP, or if you don't live near a MEP station.

Yeah I did all that already. I'm not sure if I'll have to do MEPS later on or not though...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I did all that already. I'm not sure if I'll have to do MEPS later on or not though...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Maybe @Armyhealth or a recruiter will be able to answer your question. Did you ask your recruiter if you are medically qualified? Try to logon on to the DoDMERB website to see your status. If you didn't set up an account follow the instructions to set up a user ID and the status will say Qualified XXXX (program name) or Remedial pending, Disqualified, Hold awaiting xxxx, ... https://dodmerb.tricare.osd.mil/Default.aspx

I haven't heard of someone that had a DoDMERB physical for HPSP unless they were also a USUHS applicant, had a qualifying DoDMERB physical recently for another commissioning program, or was a long way from a MEP station, but my 'exposure' is limited. It would make some sense if HPSP is changing to utilize the DoDMERB process though because most other commissioning sources use that process. This FAQ says DoDMERB can be used for Direct Commissioning. https://dodmerb.tricare.osd.mil/FAQs.aspx#num1q

Are they just checking the accuracy of your current prescription for the optometric exams? Just checking if eyes are good?

Are they just checking the accuracy of your current prescription for the optometric exams? Just checking if eyes are good?
I wear contacts, but he didn't check my current prescription at all. Did tests to make sure I could be corrected to 20/20, checked my depth perception, checked for color blindness, etc.

I wear contacts, but he didn't check my current prescription at all. Did tests to make sure I could be corrected to 20/20, checked my depth perception, checked for color blindness, etc.

The DoDMERB can be used but the recruiter will still have to take you to MEPS to do the lab work and the other things the DoDMERB does not cover. Most likely they will just schedule you for the whole physical again because just getting an appointment for labs at most MEPS is very difficult.