3 year GMO payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmed2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently paying back my time as a GMO. My plan is to do 3 years and separate for civilian residency. My orders are 2 years and I've always been told that I would extend for a 3rd year then separate. Is it possible to get 1 year orders for a new location?

I'm currently a geo bachelor and my wife is finishing residency elsewhere - she will be done at the end of my 2nd year. She currently lives in a house that we own. Our plan is to return to this area once I'm done with my obligation, for residency. Would it be possible to get 1 year orders to minimize moving (if there was a billet)? I could easily move on my dime because most of my stuff is at our house anyway? Rather than her moving here for one year (I assume on my dime), then the Navy moving us back.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently paying back my time as a GMO. My plan is to do 3 years and separate for civilian residency. My orders are 2 years and I've always been told that I would extend for a 3rd year then separate. Is it possible to get 1 year orders for a new location?

I'm currently a geo bachelor and my wife is finishing residency elsewhere - she will be done at the end of my 2nd year. She currently lives in a house that we own. Our plan is to return to this area once I'm done with my obligation, for residency. Would it be possible to get 1 year orders to minimize moving (if there was a billet)? I could easily move on my dime because most of my stuff is at our house anyway? Rather than her moving here for one year (I assume on my dime), then the Navy moving us back.
Likely not, you can cetainly ask tho. 1 year orders are not common, unless youre going un accompanied over seas. Your best bet is to just extend the one year where youre at.

Your plan is totally logical, but unfortunately the military is rarely guided by logic. I would be completely flabbergasted if they gave you 1 year orders to a new location. I agree with the last post, your best bet is to simply extend 1 year where you're already stationed. That said, it never hurts to ask. Contact your detailer for a more definitive answer. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most orders have a 2 year requirement that you would have to obliserve for. There are some operational/isolated spots for 1 year out there sometimes. You can always ask. Have them keep you in mind for some "hot fills" as they can sometimes have flexible time requirements.

PS. "Hot fill" is usually code for sucky orders

Thanks for the responses. That is just about what I expected. I'll check with the detailer, but I will probably just extend.

While one year orders would be awesome, unless it is to a location closer to my current home, it doesn't make sense to take it. Taking a crappy billet or going unaccompanied defeats the purpose because I like my current billet - it's all about location.

At least in the Navy, as Kingfisher mentioned, CONUS orders involving a PCS require 2 years service. OCONUS requires 1 year.

I'm an Army GMO flight surgeon, and the current arrangement with my branch manager is for me to PCS (CONUS) next summer (2014) when a slot opens up. My ADSO is up summer of 2015, and he says that the only requirement is 12 months on station. Maybe I should look into this more closely, because there's no way I'm moving if I have to stay in longer...