Navy 3-year HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBB2031

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my first year of med school and want to pursue a 3-year Navy HPSP. The recruiter I spoke with today said that the Navy has filled their 3-year quota already. I wondered whether I should take this info at face value or whether this just means that I need to find the right person or right recruiting district or show more interest/be more persistent, etc. I ask because it seems there is a huge advantage to doing a 3-year vs. a 2-year HPSP (the recruiter said I could submit a package for the latter in Oct.): the minimum service obligation is 3 years either way, so you're giving up $$$ for no reduction in your service commitment by doing a 2-year scholarship (the recruiter confirmed this). Having followed this forum over the past few years, it seems there are loads of stories about inaccurate info from recruiters, so is there any way for me to confirm that the Navy is in fact done with 3-year scholarships for the class of 2017?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the fiscal year is almost over. I would believe so. I hope you spoke with an AMEDD recruiter, not a regular recruiter.
But the fiscal year restarts on Oct 1st and that means..... all quotes begin from (yep) ZERO. ;)

I took a 3 year scholarship long ago and I was signed sealed and delivered months ago. A few years ago when they couldn't fill up you may have had a chance, but the pendulum has swung back around. Only you can determine if a 2 year deal is worth it for you. If you are even questioning it, I would guess not. If you really want to serve, you can look into other programs, FAP, etc. They will almost certainly be much more favorable financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. After turning over a few more stones on this, I was able to confirm from another source that the Navy is in fact out of 3-year scholarships for this class. As the poster above mentioned, a 2-year scholarship would not be the way to go if one is strictly interested in maximizing the financial benefit received in return for military service. However, there are always other considerations. Whatever I decide, I'll be sure to apply early.