3 year HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samuraiR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I tried doing a search on this and I couldnt find the exact info I wanted.

I am looking at a 3year hpsp (already a 1st year student). I was a former army contractor but I'm leaning more towards AF and possibly Navy. I honestly want to graduate, do an internship year then do 3 years of FS/GMO get out and do a civilian residency. I am leaning towards a longer residency (5-7 years) so I don't want to extend my commitment time.

My question is whether this is possible in the AF? What's the process of "requesting" to be a FS? I know the negatives of HPSP, I know a decent amount of military life; mostly on the army side, but I spent some time in Scott AFB as well. I just want to know about the possibility of a FS and out mentality going into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Before we go any further, you need to go into your kitchen and break a piece of flatware over your head. Hopefully this will give you amnesia and you will forget about this plan.

If you're still conscious, the process is simple.

1. Get and pass an Initial Flying Class Physical. There are other threads here regarding this. Please look at them before you start listing your medical problems to see if you qualify.

2. Call the detailer and say the words, "I want to be a flight surgeon." The detailer will reply "Really?" You reply "Yes." You will then be asked to take a drug test. If you received Vicodin due to the above self-inflicted head wound, do not take it before this test.

3. You will then receive a flight surgeon assignment to a small base in an undesirable part of the country, where you will remain for 3 years with occasional TDYs to Dayton, Ohio to take semi-useful training courses.

I assume you really didnt like your time as a gmo/fs? Could you tell me more about what you hated about it besides poor location?

Do an advanced search of this thread and use "GMO" as your heading. You'll get more feedback on what folks thought of it than you'll generate here.