3 Year MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefitpremed2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to do a 3 year MD at my state school with guaranteed residency spot. It is pretty intense, but I know I want to be close to home, plus a year of opportunity cost and tuition. However, I plan to do a fellowship, so I am nervous about not having as much research. What are your thoughts on 3 year MD? Pros/cons? If any of you are in/have done one, would love to hear from you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you know what you specialty you're interested in and you like where you live - save the $$ and time and go for the 3 year. You'll find enough time for research between now and fellowship applications. A research year is always a possibility

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well my main concern is that you might change your mind regarding the specialty .
as is mine, however, it would be IM personally and the ones I'm interested in right now all fall under that

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to do a 3 year MD at my state school with guaranteed residency spot. It is pretty intense, but I know I want to be close to home, plus a year of opportunity cost and tuition. However, I plan to do a fellowship, so I am nervous about not having as much research. What are your thoughts on 3 year MD? Pros/cons? If any of you are in/have done one, would love to hear from you!

I did a three-year MD and was able to do research during the program. Just matched to my #1 and am very happy to be on this path.

Happy to talk via DM if you shoot me a message.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have the opportunity to swap out of this program in case you find that you want to do a different specialty?

I will say, IM offers you a good number of options, so if you have to commit to a particular specialty in exchange for shaving a year off of your med school time, this leaves you good options.

Hi all,

Does this happen to be one of penn states programs?

I'd go for it. Like you said, the $ and opportunity rebate. Guaranteed res spot (as long as you pass step?). If you take this, you'll be much less stressed out than your peers.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd go for it. Like you said, the $ and opportunity rebate. Guaranteed res spot (as long as you pass step?). If you take this, you'll be much less stressed out than your peers.
yes and I believe keep a good GPA

Reactions: 1 user