I am sophomore at state university
Weighing options to graduate in 3 years and research 4th year
I'm biochem major
Please share your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Kingsmen2018

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2017
If you are pre med I forbid you from doing so. In order to graduate early u will need a high course load. IT will be hard to do that + mcat

OP
N

Nav2020

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
Kingsmen2018: thanks for the response
Load is manageable to me and I am spending 700+ hours of lab research

My concern: am i going to turn down by top md schools for holding 3 yrs BS degree in biochemistry

My goal MD-PhD @ top 5 schools

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
B.S. degree in Biochemistry is fine.

What type of professional career do you plan to pursue in the future?

If you ultimately plan to pursue two degrees (i.e., as an MD/PhD student), you should show a serious interest in research from a four-year institution. You can also conduct research at a business entity (e.g., pharmaceutical company).

It's advisable to have a minimum of at least 2 or more semesters (or at least 6 quarters or more) of serious research experience (10-15 hours/week in a lab), preferably much longer. Many students work summers and/or take gap years for the same reason. You must "know" your research well because you will be asked serious questions about your research in the MD/PhD interview, as well as in your MD/PhD essays.

OP
N

Nav2020

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
B.S. degree in Biochemistry is fine.

What type of professional career do you plan to pursue in the future?

If you ultimately plan to pursue two degrees (i.e., as an MD/PhD student), you should show a serious interest in research from a four-year institution. You can also conduct research at a business entity (e.g., pharmaceutical company).

It's advisable to have a minimum of at least 2 or more semesters (or at least 6 quarters or more) of serious research experience (10-15 hours/week in a lab), preferably much longer. Many students work summers and/or take gap years for the same reason. You must "know" your research well because you will be asked serious questions about your research in the MD/PhD interview, as well as in your MD/PhD essays.
Thank you Doctor-S,
This is very helpful

Sent from my SM-J327P using SDN mobile

About the Ads