This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

You said the magic word in admissions - URM. There seems to be a different set of rules for URM, especially for admissions in CA. I'm sure you can get in somewhere. Good luck.

hey man
Im from LA too. sorry about your vr score.
I think that you have good chance of getting in some place. go for it!
I too am waiting my score to come. wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop worrying, go for it. Don't you have a premedical advisor? If you do, your question could have been answered in house.

27 isn't bad -- isn't around the national average or something? However, the 6 in VR is a little worrying -- however, is English your second language? That may help explain it on your application.

I think it would probably be worth applying with those scores, but if you realistically think you could improve your scores, esp. in verbal, it might be worth considering taking the August test. Just wanted to throw that idea out there.

thank you everyone thus far for responding. i have an appointment to see my premed advisor for wed. but just wanted to see what fellow premeds on this forum thought. lilycat I think the national average is 24 so my overall score is a few points above that. i really don't want to go through the hell of retaking the exam this august--i think the waiting for the scores can eat me alive. also i'm not sure two months will be enough to improve my VR score plus then I run the risking of droping a point or so on the science sections.

I'm bilingual but english isn't necessarily my second language because I was born in Los Angeles and started to learn English in Kindergarten. I attended inner-cities schools in South Central Los Angeles pretty much all my life and sadly I feel I didn't learn anything for 12 years until I went to college. It might have been a litte too late to improve my VR skills enough, but with hard work I learned the sciences.

maybe someone has heard or know someone with similiar stats that got in? like I mentioned, all I want is in the end become a physician so the name of the school isn't much a concern plus I don't mind moving from California and going out of state. i know admission isn't based only on numbers; I have other things my application that aren't too unique but I feel are different enough.

I think if you go to the aamc website, they have a section that shows the ave. stats for URM applicants -- that might help you some. As for actual individual cases, one of my friends applied as a Hispanic student, I believe, and she had a 28 or 29, with a pretty high GPA (she was Phi Beta Kappa at a UC undergrad). She also was extremely active in community service in the minority community (ie, free clinics in CA and Mexico, etc.). She did not do that well with the UC's, but did very well with out-of-state private schools. Assuming all else is good on your application, it's probably worth-while to apply this year.

Originally posted by jmejia1:
all I want is in the end become a physician so the name of the school isn't much a concern plus I don't mind moving from California and going out of state.

jmejial: so is Eng is your second language? I would suggest you try to apply to the following schools: NYMC, Thomas Jefferson, Howard, Meharry, Chicago Medical school. I know people got in with a score lower than you. However, two of them had a 7 on the verbal. Hope this helps.
APPLY EARLY! GO FOR IT!! BEST OF LUCK!!! SL

Hello, take everyone's advice with a grain of salt because the admissions process with urms is not well published. I believe that your scores will be competetive when you apply to schools and that you should not avoid applying to schools in the top twenty if that's where you want to go. However, I think that all urms need to apply to a number of schools, maybe a little bit more then non-urms as some schools do not use affirmative action, some schools do, and some schools recognize different urms. I am not a urm but I have several friends that are and I know of one urm that got into Hopkins on a 30 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. Search the forums for a thread on the avg MCAT score for your urm group and that should be informative as someone who scores around the average should expect to be a competetive applicant. Good luck.

Hi....I posted this on another post and it might be some help.

Ok.....let me tell you my story about my experience with a 6 in verbal. As long as everything else is good, I am pretty confident that you can get into medical school somewhere. However, really competitive schools are pretty much out of the question. Here are my stats.
6V
10PS
10BS
N Writing

3.89 GPA at Michigan State Univ. (Physiology)

Extra-curriculars:
Phlebotomist for 3+ yrs
3 semesters vol. in hospital
1 semester vol. in community
45 hrs shadowing an osteopathic physician.

I am a Michigan Resident

Schools I was rejected from w/o interview:
UMich
Dartmouth
PCOM
NYCOM
Rochester

Schools I interviewed at but are still on their waitlist:
Loyola

Schools I was accepted to:
Wayne State
Michigan State (MD)
Michigan State (DO)
KCOM

So, as you can see.....my state schools were good to me. The bottom line is that a 6 in verbal is not the end of the world. I too contemplated taking it over in August last year, but I am SO glad that I didn't. In the end, it might have hurt me worse b/c my science scores might have slipped.

Good luck everyone,
--jimmybee

27 and a URM?? You're going to HARVARD!!! Don't worry, all those mean white people with 35's can just do the Ph.D. route. We don't mind.