30+ age Pre-Dental Students Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

True Regret

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 32 years of age, and applying 8 years after I received my BS degree. Is it necessary to retake BCP courses? Do you know of any schools that prefer mature students?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got in this cycle with an indentical timeline. I hadn't taken any of the requisite coursework as a math major nearly ten years ago, so I went back to school full time to take all the pre-reqs and prepare for the DAT. Of all the schools I talked to, only Meharry mentioned age as a negative.

You don't have to retake your prereqs. Mine were 6+ years old and it didn't affect anything (there are a few schools with limits, but they are a small minority). You may want to consider taking a few upper division classes to demonstrate you still have what it takes. That will also allow you to meet a few professors and get some current LORs.
I don't think there's any schools that prefer older students, but I didn't feel discriminated against either (and I've got a few years on you). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to retake your prereqs. Mine were 6+ years old and it didn't affect anything (there are a few schools with limits, but they are a small minority). You may want to consider taking a few upper division classes to demonstrate you still have what it takes. That will also allow you to meet a few professors and get some current LORs.
I don't think there's any schools that prefer older students, but I didn't feel discriminated against either (and I've got a few years on you). Good luck.

Pretty sure LLU has a 5 year rule on prereqs. It would be best if you call and ask, however.

I am 32 years of age, and applying 8 years after I received my BS degree. Is it necessary to retake BCP courses? Do you know of any schools that prefer mature students?

Some schools have specific timelines. Call them up.

The timelines aren't there because they want to be jerks. The d-school classes build upon the fundamentals.

I'd say most schools welcome 'mature' students as you say. They bring different experiences to the mix. Some of our more interesting classmates are on 2nd careers. I'm straight from ugrad...makes me pretty uninteresting.

I'm 32 as well and just finished all pre-reqs, while working, and I'm taking DAT next week. I think it makes you stand out in a good way if you're coming from a different field and you're relatively normal. Good for you. Just go for it. I'm going to need some "mature" (love that) company.

I will be starting dental school in about two months, and I am 30 yrs old. I applied to the three schools in Texas, and the only school which seemed put off by my age/age of my pre reqs was Baylor. The adcom person that I encountered seemed concerned that I would not be able to keep up with the other students who had recently graduated.

To say that this lit a little fire in my belly is an understatement.