Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey IgA. First and foremost, I'd like to say that I haven't been accepted anywhere I I haven't applied yet), and I am in a similar position stats-wise--I got a 32 on my MCAT, but your sGPA is substantially better than mine (3.38)--so therefore I am not an expert on chances of admission by any means.

That being said, I sure as hell am planning on applying this cycle, and am confident I can get into at least 1 medical school. I see no reason why you can't do the same. From what I've read, and from the advice that's been given to me, it sounds like to maximize your chances, you should apply early (as in the first possible day) and broadly, and hope for the best. Your GPA isn't weak, and that upward trend is pretty impressive. Aside from your state schools, schools that have been suggested to me because apparently they are somewhat more receptive to out of state applicants include Rush, Drexel, and St. Louis. Perhaps Creighton and Loyola as well.

A 30 is nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, isn't it something like an 80th percentile score? I know people who've gotten into MD schools with less, and they aren't URM's. Retaking it, in my opinion, is risky, because you'll need to hit a 33 in order for your retake to matter--and 33 was your AAMC avg, so realistically, you have a 50/50 shot of doing better than a 33 (unless you improve your AAMC avg by studying more).

In the end, it's your call, but if I were you I'd just aim to get my apps in on the first day.

Like I said, I basically don't know anything, but I sympathize with your plight. Good luck, man.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hey IgA
Dont lose hope! youre stats are good and you have great ECs!

I had similar stats, 3.5gpa with a 31 mcat (7verbal)
I applied in the 2011-2012 cycle.

I did no volunteering, but did a good amount of research, shadowing, and tutoring.
I ended up getting 3 interviews and I got wait listed at two schools but unfortunately didn't get accepted.

that was probably due to the fact that I sent my secondaries really late in the application cycle (due to lagging letter of recs) which pushed my interviews back. This and possible bad interview skills is what stopped me from getting into some decent md schools.

so dont bummed I think you have a pretty good shot. just apply widely and practice hardcore for interviews.

I agree with the other posters that you shouldn't retake the MCAT unless you're very very confident that you could score higher.

If you select the schools you apply to wisely -in addition to applying early of course- and really give the secondaries the time they deserve (putting thoughtful/insightful responses to their questions), I think you'll stand a good chance at landing some interviews. And honestly, it's really not hard to produce quality responses to secondaries, and since you already have your MCAT score, you could feasibly apply very early in the cycle.

Otherwise, your MCAT, cGPA and sGPA (I'm assuming that's actually BCPM?) are all pretty solid. I think it'd be a different story if you had a 30 MCAT and a 3.3 (or something like that).

And I'm not sure if you are open to applying to DO schools, but I think you'd be a very competitive applicant in that scenario.

Good luck!

I don't think I will apply to any DO schools. I'm just going to apply early and hope for the best.

Apply early, but I would log some more shadow hours too and update schools with them as you clear multiples of 25 or 50. Your stats are pretty solid for some places (southern US). Your GPA is meh, but there is a very clear upward trend. The NE part of the country is so saturated with people, though, that it might be a close thing there.

FWIW I was accepted in the south with a non-science undergrad degree and a lower MCAT (29), but my GPA was a lot better.

I would also advise against retaking the MCAT unless you're certain you can do better.

Good luck!

Try to get some additional non-clinical volunteering (community service) under your belt and shadow another specialty.

You'll have a good shot as long as you write a solid PS as well as apply early (June) and broadly to 25+ schools.

Apply to all of the SUNYs (best chances).
Some other schools to consider within your stats range: Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Albany, NYMC, Vermont, Toledo, GWU, SLU, Loyola, Creighton, Cincinnati, RFU, BU, MCW, Drexel, Jefferson.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Do you think I am good enough to apply to MD only? I am not too interested in DO, but would do it as a last resort. I was thinking of applying MD this year and if I don't get in, then apply MD and DO the next year. I don't want to waste my time though, am I competitive enough to only apply MD?

I think you're pretty solid for MD programs but if it will give you more confidence, it might be worth it to throw in a few DO schools. But I personally wouldn't.

I agree with the other posters. Get more shadowing hours and really reflect on what you saw so you are prepared to talk about them because it came up in most of my interviews. Other than that you seem like a standard applicant so I'm curious, is there some other part of your application that stands out from the typical checklist of ECs? I suspect there will be even a greater # of applications this next cycle so anything you can add that'll help you stand out would be awesome.

Oh, and definitely apply as early as possible and get those secondaries in fast! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Aside from more shadowing, is there anything else I really need to work on? Also, will my current job help me in any way, or will it just look like any other job? I do work at a top research institute in NYC. Thanks!

It'll help. Keep doing helpful things like volunteering, shadowing, working throughout your application year, and keep your schools in the loop (not obsessively, and check whether or not they're open to updates).

Start writing your PS now, as it goes through many many iterations before you submit it! Ask lots of different people to read/edit it. You can also begin pre-writing secondaries based on the past year's prompts found on SDN. Make sure your school/interfolio submits your letters early. The more you can do to be complete early, the better.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
How did University of Washington find its way onto your list?

Looks like you have a great mix IMO. Strong upward trend. You can probably get rid of at least 10 schools, you currently have 36 listed which is a ton and probably too many. I would make sure you would absolutely attend every safety school you listed; can you actually see yourself living in WV? You also might want to check how OOS-friendly Missouri is as well.

Last edited:
These threads are not identical... One was posted months ago to ask if I should retake my MCAT, and the other posted today to get advice on my school list. Just because my stats have not changed in that time doesn't make these identical threads. Please correct this, these threads do not belong together.

In order to prevent clutter, we ask applicants to stick to one WAMC thread and to bump the thread for follow up questions. Thanks

Last edited:
What's the difference between a 29 and 30, really? I have almost identical stats (29, 3.67, 3.5) and got only one interview (WL'd). I'm in a similar position as a reapplicant so I'm looking for any help in this department. Also, OP, can you tip me in getting a research tech job in the city? Thanks lol

Hi, I don't have too much advice on your school list. It looks good for the most part and it's always good to have some reaches. Your ECs seem alright and the upward gpa trend will definitely help you!

I also wanted to share my own experience with you since my stats are similar. I applied this past cycle with a 3.67 cpga, 3.55 sgpa and 30 mcat (10's across the board). I initially applied to about 18 schools (a lot of the same OOS private schools as you) and received 5 IIs, 3 acceptances, 1 waitlist and decided not to attend the other II. As expected, my acceptances and waitlist are all in-state schools.

In short, with your stats, an acceptance (or multiple acceptances!) are within reach. Just take time on your essays and present yourself well at interviews. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Do you have an opinion on any of the other schools on my list? Thanks
It all depends on your pocketbook and how long you can fill out secondaries before burning out. Me, I'm frugal and would thus eliminate more of the reaches and OOS schools with marginal acceptance rates.
It's not a bad list, though.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Good list as far as I'm concerned. Some of the public schools will be tough for an OOSer. Just make sure you're applying to all of the New York Schools. Your stats aren't half bad. You'll probably get into a few places.

Okay, yeah. sector 9 made the right call to merge the threads on this. Long, but it really is a WAMC-type of ordeal.

a 30 on the mcat is fine, HOWEVER...usually a 30 is okay if it's balanced with a 10/10/10...and 9's are tolerated, but 8's I'm honestly not sure how admissions will look at this. That being said, the chalenge will be if you can't make substantial progress/change if you take it another time around.

Your extracirriculars are fine-I think they're pretty solid. Amp up on your shadowing/volunteering hours. While you have plenty of PCT experience, doesn't hurt to really round yourself out with volunteer time too.

Yeah, that MCAT might be a drag. I think it's really going to depend on how much you REALLY can change your mcat score. I personally am a retaker, but my study method and strategy changed 180 degrees when I retook it.

This all being said, I think state schools may have a decent time accepting you.

I'm not retaking the mcat, unless I don't get accepted this cycle.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Does anyone else think my 8 in VR will cause significant problems?

I don't think it's that bad. As long as you write a good essay. BS and PS are a bit more important.

Verbal less than 10 raises flags. 8 moreso than 9. A lot of people say it is a concern. that being said, is it impossible to be accepted? nope. Just gives you more reason to makes ure the rest of your app is squeaky clean.

Last edited:
should be fine. just make sure you reflect on your activities well.

Last edited:
Verbal less than 10 raises flags. 8 moreso than 9. A lot of people say it is a concern. that being said, is it impossible to be accepted? nope. Just gives you more reason to makes ure the rest of your app is squeaky clean.

This is a good point. I got an 8VR and was concerned that it might hold me back, so I made sure to solidify every other aspect of my app. I may have been screened out by some schools, but things ultimately worked out with others and I was able to get multiple acceptances, including one top tier. The 8VR will certainly be a weakness in your app that may have to be explained in interviews, but it can be overlooked if everything else is solid.

Last edited:

Last edited:
And bump.. Please, somebody, comment on my school list.

Your school list looks good to me. I have similar stats to you, and all of the MD schools I received interviews at (SUNY Downstate(A), SUNY Buffalo(A), NYMC(A), Creighton(A), Hofstra(R), UVM(W)), you have on your list. Further, you have 15 of the 17 MD schools I applied to on your list. The other two I had applied to were University of Rochester and University of Miami. But they were both reaches for me, and they both rejected me, so I don't think I'd recommend applying to them anyway.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited: