30 MCAT/3.62 GPA + Great ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time here. Happy to join the conversation!
I am an Asian-American (I feel like that's actually an important factor that no one seems to bring up) recent grad from a good school (top 40 according to US News).
I have a 3.62 GPA and majored in Biomedical Engineering. Did kinda poorly on my MCATs with a 30.

I have really good ECs:
- 2 years worth of research, presented it at a conference. 4th author on a publication.
- shadowed/volunteered in hospitals about >150 hours each.
- Some community service (tutoring and mentoring).
- I TAed two classes.
- Spent a summer internship abroad at a pharmaceutical company.
- For my senior design project, I created a task trainer (artificial anatomical model) that will be used by residents at the medical school that was affiliated with my school. Working on publishing that too.

I think my experiences were pretty interesting and exposed me to many sides of medicine.

I am applying to my state school UConn and schools around that tier (BU, GW, Georgetown, Tufts, Albert Einstein, Wakeforest, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Dartmouth, Drexel). I feel like I have a decent shot at these types of schools, but my MCAT is discouraging. Also applying to reaches such as Case Western, Rochester, Pitt, Washington in St. Louis, potentially Emory.

I was told by 2 deans that I should be able to get into mid-tier level schools. Thoughts? Were they just being nice? Hoping to submit AMCAS by tmw so reply soon!!! Thanks for the help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:

UConn
GW,
Georgetown,
Tufts,
Wake forest,
NYMC,
Rosalind Franklin,
Drexel
TCMC
Netter
Albany

all the same ilk. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own.
Also include any DO school. Start with UNECOM , PCOM and Touro NY.

These schools do not need the donations int he form of your app fees. Take your parents or sweetie put to dinner instead.
Case Western, Rochester, Pitt, Washington in St. Louis, potentially Emory.

I was told by 2 deans that I should be able to get into mid-tier level schools. Thoughts? Were they just being nice? Hoping to submit AMCAS by tmw so reply soon!!! Thanks for the help in advance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!
I am using MSAR :)

I am using FAP (Financial Assistance Program) so I get 15 free apps btw. I don't mind applying to at least 20 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Saying I'm going to apply to 20 schools isn't a justification to be haphazard and throw away money at top schools that aren't remotely realistic.

I tried to put average/median MCATS of all the schools with MCATs 32 and under I've found in the past that are realistic. If you want to apply to 20 schools these are the ones I would look at(I'm sure there are a few I left out that are also applicable). While the 10-90th percentile info gyngyn was citing is very valuable I would be careful in how I use that. When you have a GPA that is already way below average for top schools, I wouldn't be looking at schools where my MCAT is at the 10th percentile and think those are in anyway realistic just because you hit the 10th percentile with your MCAT.

VCU: 30-31
Temple: 31-32
Loma Linda: 30(read the list of donts)
Creighton: 30-31
Saint Louis: 32-33
Miami: 32-33
Loyola: 32
Tufts: 33
George Washington: 30
Georgetown: 32
Rosalind Franklin; 31
Loyola: 32-33
Jefferson: 31-32
Medical College Wisconsin: 30-31
Wake Forest: 32
Drexel: 31
New York Medical College: 31-32
Albany: 32
Rush: 31-32
Eastern Virginia: 32
Tulane: 33
Penn State: 30
Vermont: 31
Quinnipac: 31
Oakland: 30-31
Western Michigan: 31
West Virginia: 30
The Commonwealth: 30
UCONN: 30

@GrapesofRath @Goro
Thanks for the list- that's a great point you made.
With a strategic list- what outcomes should I be expecting? If I apply to 20 schools can I hope for a few interviews and at least one acceptance?

In the end, if invited for an interview, the determining factor will come down to your interview skills. I had a few friends that applied last year with similar stats and EC's, and with a smart list of 15-20 schools, they averaged around 4-5 interviews with 1-2 acceptances. One thing that concerns me is that your EC's seem somewhat one sided. It seems that a lot of them are medicine and academic related, but I don't see that many that show your human side. Did you join any clubs? Do you play any sports? Do you have any hobbies or EC's that show you are not just 100% school? @Goro made a point on my "What are my chances?" post that high GPA academic robots are a dime a dozen. Medical schools are looking for students that not only excel in the classroom, but have a human and caring side as well.

Anyway, go with a list like what Goro and Grapes of Rath put, and I think you'll be good to go!

Reactions: 1 user
NOTHING can guarantee an acceptance, (short of a large donation check), but I think you should snag some IIs. Then it's on you.
Always have Plan B, though.

@GrapesofRath @Goro
Thanks for the list- that's a great point you made.
With a strategic list- what outcomes should I be expecting? If I apply to 20 schools can I hope for a few interviews and at least one acceptance?