30 mcat 3.77 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rasori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to get into NJMS or RWJ and even cooper. What are my odds. I really dont want to go to caribian or D.O school.
Here are my credentials:
I am a Rutgers 3rd year student majoring in Biological sciences. My cumulative GPA is 3.772 and my science GPA is a little lower about 3.75. My MCAT grade is a 30M. The breakdown is 9 in verbal 10 in physical sciences 11 in biological sciences. My extracurricular activities include: Working in a physicians office, I am an EMT, I shadow a Physician, I tutoring organic chemistry, I starting a tutoring program in the University, and i run a few programs for a club as well as a few other things. I also researched for a year about. I know my mcat is a little low but I really dont want to have to retake it, its a very stressful thing to do.
I live very close to robert wood johnson so that is my first choice. I dont want to do D.O and I also have done research. I am also looking at schools in tristate area as well as Penn.

I already posted this before, but I obsess over this stuff. So I really want an honest opinion. I say that because I hate advisers, they are swayed so easily and I don't trust any of their opinions. Since no one here really knows me, I assume you can all be as truthful as possible.
Catalystik, I saw that you gave good advice on other threads and you even gave me some advice on my previous thread. I want to ask you specifically, who should I approach for honest advice. I also want to ask you what med schools do you think I would have the highest chances of getting into in the NJ tristate area.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a decent shot for MD. Apply broadly and early.
Carib or DO, you are kind of "overqualified" in an SDN sense that you are way above their averages.
Don't even think twice about carib, they would probably just accept you without an interview. haha
VR is kinda low though that might be a concern.
Your GPA is fine though it's above the average for matriculants.
EC's are kind of above cookie cutter which is good too, but still a little bit average for mid or top tiers.
Any other leadership?
How about volunteer clinical experience?
I see you worked as an EMT and in a doctors office. That's good.
Also, kind of out of context, but how long did you study for the MCAT?
How many years or semesters have you done your EC's?
Lastly, are you a good interviewer?
Honestly, you do have a decent app. Critically, kind of the "slightly above average" to "average" scale for mid to top tiers. Above average for low to some mid tiers.
You'll def get an interview, but you have to win them over by really exemplifying your passion for medicine.
GL!

You have a decent shot for MD. Apply broadly and early.
Carib or DO, you are kind of "overqualified" in an SDN sense that you are way above their averages.
Don't even think twice about carib, they would probably just accept you without an interview. haha
VR is kinda low though that might be a concern.
Your GPA is fine though it's above the average for matriculants.
EC's are kind of above cookie cutter which is good too, but still a little bit average for mid or top tiers.
Any other leadership?
How about volunteer clinical experience?
I see you worked as an EMT and in a doctors office. That's good.
Also, kind of out of context, but how long did you study for the MCAT?
How many years or semesters have you done your EC's?
Lastly, are you a good interviewer?
Honestly, you do have a decent app. Critically, kind of the "slightly above average" to "average" scale for mid to top tiers. Above average for low to some mid tiers.
You'll def get an interview, but you have to win them over by really exemplifying your passion for medicine.
GL!

Thanks, I researched for about a year, I work in a doctors office for the last 3 years and still do. I was an EMT for a semester and hope to continue this summer. I shadowed a doctor for about a year now. He is a cardiologist and ive seen some of a lot of angioplasties and I shadowed him in his clinic. Well leadership would be starting that tutoring thing. I actually got the princeton review to sponsor us and now we are the first program at rutgers to give computorized standarized tests. I also have run a LOOOOTTTT of weeklong programs for one of my clubs. For my MCAT i realllyyyy studied for it. I took the kaplan class. I just am not a good standarized test taker and Im a worse multiple choice test taker because I rush through the questions without thinking. Tell me what you think. Finally I wanna ask you, what med schools you think I should apply to, preferably in NJ area (NY, Penn, CT)? I would rather get into a low tier med school than any D.O school.
also thanks for your feedback i really do appreciate your honesty... I hate school advisers with a passion.

I second what JohnnyRomanes said.

Check out their admissions statistics. ( http://njms.umdnj.edu/admissions/prospective/stats.cfm ) Pay special attention to the ratio of Out of State applicants vs. In state applicants, and then to the ratio of offers of admissions!!! Its insane!! 31 offers of Admissions to out of Staters, and only TEN ended up attending. The fact that you are a resident of New Jersey puts you miles ahead of everyone else. Your chances skyrocket just because of that!

Your MCAT is about average for them, which is good, and your GPA is definitely higher than the average for UMDNJ, which is even better! If I were you, I wouldn't waste money applying to places like NYU, Mt. Sinai, and Columbia. You might consider SUNY's, but they of course prefer New Yorkers (However they are not as crazy about it as UMDNJ is, apparently)

So if you think it is worth it, apply to Downstate (should be within an hour of your house), Stony Brook, etc... Also check out Drexel, Jefferson, and NYMC. I think you have a competitive shot at those schools as well! Good job on your hard work, and good luck!

P.S. Don't be so anxious about this. I know how it feels, I am there myself. It doesn't lead to anything good, so try to take it easy!