<30 MCAT accepted by schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donnieman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there are any medical schools that are likely to take individuals with less than 30 MCAT score and whom are out-state?

Can anyone tell me their MCAT and gpa stats for entry into those medical schools?

Also whether or not you are in-state or out-state?

Thanks.

Ps. I am quite worried with my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry too much, there is a lot more to an acceptance than your MCAT score. If you do a search you will find a wealth of people who have been accepted with scores under 30. Personally, I was granted 6 interviews (of 10 schools applied to), 4 acceptances (2 in-state/2 out-state), and 2 waitlists. All great schools. 3 top 10 primary care.

The key: apply early!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how far away from 30 your MCAT score is, there's a big difference in terms of acceptance between a 29 and a 19. Take a look at MSAR to see what your chances are. Also, your chances depend greatly on your GPA, science GPA, your ECs.....the whole application. Your MCAT score is just one vital portion.

NonTradMed said:
It depends on how far away from 30 your MCAT score is, there's a big difference in terms of acceptance between a 29 and a 19. Take a look at MSAR to see what your chances are. Also, your chances depend greatly on your GPA, science GPA, your ECs.....the whole application. Your MCAT score is just one vital portion.

Yes. There will be folks with 28-29 at the majority of med schools. But the odds drop off precipitously the further away from 30 (the average matriculant numbers) we get.

lexy10 what schools did you apply to and received acceptance to?
And what was your MCAT and gpa if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

A: Tufts, BU, Madison, MCW
W: Mayo, Harvard
R: Columbia, UCSF, JHU, Vandy

GPA: 3.9 (Umass)
MCAT: 29

Looking at it now, I think I was a little crazy for only applying where I did, but it worked out...

I am NOT URM

lexy10 what do you mean by URM?
I am new to this forum.

The average mcat score for matriculants is usually just under 30 so I wouldn't worry too much. Somewhere around half of the people that get into med school have less than a 30. Oh and URM is under represented minority.

URM = Under Represented Minority

I think it needs to be added that the distribution of matriculants doesn't waver too much below 30. That is, even though it's much touted that half get in with below a 30 and half above, that doesn't mean all those kids with 34's translates to plenty that get in with 24's, it more likely means that there's a slim number with 34 MCAT and a majority with 29s that pulls down the average to a 30.