30 MCAT but 3.1 GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfListic

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a reapplicant who's been working on getting over some poor academic semesters due to immaturity, etc. I applied last cycle with a <3.0 GPA and got no interviews, love.

Now I'm just wondering if I have any chances at all. (not a URM)

My stats:

Texas resident...but before you suggest a Texas school, Texas doesn't replace grades so my GPA is 2.9 which I think is a barrier.

sGPA 3.24 (this can raise to a 3.2 if a grade comes in quick enough)
cGPA 3.29

MCAT 30 R (10,10,10). This is aug 2009, I will probably retake this summer for the few schools that count this as expired

ECs:

50 hours ER
200 hrs shadowing, md and do
100 hours volunteering with refugee services, leadership
60hrs with volunteers in medicine, leadership
EMT certified this year, 80 hours of clinical experience
2 yrs foreign church mission, German fluent

Good LORs, one from a DO, which was strong (gave me a copy)

Hopefully improved my PS which was weak as well as my EC descriptions.

Ready to apply early.

Does my GPA blow my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your sGPA and cGPA based on the aacom scale.
for example my university A- is 3.67, based on aacom A- is 3.7.

Link to their page about GPA a calculation is below. read the section on GPA and Credit Hour Computations

https://aacomas.aacom.org/survey/views/client/aacomas/collegesInstructions4.html

Thanks for this...I checked and updated my GPA based on aacomas, which is slightly better than my title suggests. So now the 3.24s and 3.29c are correct.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
a 3.29 with a 30 mcat will get you into DO schools.

O RLY? Jk...thanks for that vote of confidence. After not even interviewing I'm a bit cautious about any confidence this time around.

If you see this reply, what do you think my chances are at getting an interview at DMU? It's a top choice of mine, but they have great GPA stats

Ok, I'm a reapplicant who's been working on getting over some poor academic semesters due to immaturity, etc. I applied last cycle with a <3.0 GPA and got no interviews, love.

My stats:

Texas resident...but before you suggest a Texas school, Texas doesn't replace grades so my GPA is 2.9 which I think is a barrier.

cGPA 3.29

MCAT 30 R (10,10,10). This is aug 2009, I will probably retake this summer for the few schools that count this as expired

ECs:

50 hours ER

Ready to apply early.

Even with a 2.9, that 30 MCAT score should have brought some interviews your way. Did you not apply early and broadly last cycle?

Even with a 2.9, that 30 MCAT score should have brought some interviews your way. Did you not apply early and broadly last cycle?

Anything below 3.0 will get auto screened from most schools.

I didn't apply as early as I should have, and I may not have applied broadly enough. I think I was auto rejected from most schools.

I did receive two invites for SMPs, but I would love to avoid that extra cost if possible.

I am ready to apply early this year though, so hopefully you are right!

Yeah no SMP. Apply early and broad. Good luck.

You're fine for most DO schools, including mine.

My stats:

cGPA 3.29

ECs:

50 hours ER

Ready to apply early.

You're fine for most DO schools, including mine.

Thanks Goro, it really is nice to hear. I can't see your school on the mobile app, so I'll check when I get home.

Members don't see this ad :)

My stats:

cGPA 3.29

ECs:

50 hours ER

Ready to apply early.

Your application is very similar to mine.

3.22 sGPA/3.18 cGPA/33Q MCAT. Missouri resident. I am a URM, but SDN says DO schools don't really care.

I do have more hours shadowing/volunteering/research, but no foreign language, no foreign volunteering, and no refugee related stuff. Also no EMT cert, but I do work in a clinical lab. I also have applied in the past (2.65/28M), but got no interviews.

Based on that and what people have been telling me about my chances, I think you will get in somewhere. I know it's hard to be optimistic (I'm experiencing difficulty with it myself), but just apply broadly and early. I'm trying to stay positive, but am definitely cautious.

Edit: Just noticed your MCAT is borderline old. If the schools you are most interested in will accept your 2009 MCAT, I suggest you hold off on the retake. 30 is a very good score for DO schools and if you retake it, you are expected to do better. Not saying you're not capable, but getting a 30 once is hard enough.

3.22 sGPA/3.18 cGPA/33Q MCAT. Missouri resident. I am a URM, but SDN says DO schools don't really care.

I do have more hours shadowing/volunteering/research, but no foreign language, no foreign volunteering, and no refugee related stuff. Also no EMT cert, but I do work in a clinical lab. I also have applied in the past (2.65/28M), but got no interviews.

Based on that and what people have been telling me about my chances, I think you will get in somewhere. I know it's hard to be optimistic (I'm experiencing difficulty with it myself), but just apply broadly and early. I'm trying to stay positive, but am definitely cautious.

Edit: Just noticed your MCAT is borderline old. If the schools you are most interested in will accept your 2009 MCAT, I suggest you hold off on the retake. 30 is a very good score for DO schools and if you retake it, you are expected to do better. Not saying you're not capable, but getting a 30 once is hard enough.

MedPr - I thought you were doing MD?

and OP - your MCAT score will help you out tremendously. A 30 is an awesome score - much higher than most DO schools. Even TCOM has a 27 average.

I didn't apply as early as I should have, and I may not have applied broadly enough. I think I was auto rejected from most schools.

I did receive two invites for SMPs, but I would love to avoid that extra cost if possible.

I am ready to apply early this year though, so hopefully you are right!

if you don't mind sharing, how late (month) did you apply last cycle? i am just trying to get a gauge on what is considered late to the point where u are wasting $.

Thanks for this (and for your comment fas376)...Hmmm now I am conflicted on re-taking the MCAT. There are two schools Id like to apply to who won't accept my score, but I'm worried about spending the time and money with the possibility of not improving. Maybe Ill buy some GS practice tests and see where Im at...

Last edited:
if you don't mind sharing, how late (month) did you apply last cycle? i am just trying to get a gauge on what is considered late to the point where u are wasting $.

Lets just say my application was released in the same month that I was contemplating whether or not I was too old to trick or treat.;)

...I was waiting for a few grades to post, and I did think my MCAT score would get me in somewhere. It did not.

MedPr - I thought you were doing MD?

and OP - your MCAT score will help you out tremendously. A 30 is an awesome score - much higher than most DO schools. Even TCOM has a 27 average.

Doing both! I am legitimately interested in the DO principles, and I think OMM/OMT would be a great tool to have and if there wasn't such a shortage of AOA programs, I might not be applying MD at all.

With that said, I know that the path for MD students is arguably easier than for DO students, and one thing that is extremely important (perhaps the most important) to me is location. Not so much for medical school, but for residency/fellowship. That and I can always learn OMM/OMT as an MD and my viewpoint (holistic and preventitive) of medicine is my own to mold as I wish.

You were the first person to comment that I might have a shot at MD since I am a URM, so for that I am grateful (I hadn't even considered it). However, it's partly your fault that I'm paying $800 for primaries and who knows how much for secondaries :D.

Lets just say my application was released in the same month that I was contemplating whether or not I was too old to trick or treat.;)

...I was waiting for a few grades to post, and I did think my MCAT score would get me in somewhere. It did not.

A 3.1/30 will probably get you in if you apply early. October is a little late for us though.

Doing both! I am legitimately interested in the DO principles, and I think OMM/OMT would be a great tool to have and if there wasn't such a shortage of AOA programs, I might not be applying MD at all.

With that said, I know that the path for MD students is arguably easier than for DO students, and one thing that is extremely important (perhaps the most important) to me is location. Not so much for medical school, but for residency/fellowship. That and I can always learn OMM/OMT as an MD and my viewpoint (holistic and preventitive) of medicine is my own to mold as I wish.

You were the first person to comment that I might have a shot at MD since I am a URM, so for that I am grateful (I hadn't even considered it). However, it's partly your fault that I'm paying $800 for primaries and who knows how much for secondaries :D.

A 3.1/30 will probably get you in if you apply early. October is a little late for us though.

Definitely apply in June or July and you guys will have a shot.

And MedPR, if you're doing DO because you're interested in it, by all means go for it. But if it's because you don't think you can get into an MD school, I think you're making a mistake. You're a smart kid (I've seen you post a lot on the Q&A forums) and have an amazing MCAT score. You can definitely get in somewhere (especially since you're an URM)

Definitely apply in June or July and you guys will have a shot.

And MedPR, if you're doing DO because you're interested in it, by all means go for it. But if it's because you don't think you can get into an MD school, I think you're making a mistake. You're a smart kid (I've seen you post a lot on the Q&A forums) and have an amazing MCAT score. You can definitely get in somewhere (especially since you're an URM)

It's a bit of both. I'm worried if I go to a DO school I'll miss out on some residency opportunities, but I'm also worried that if I go to an MD school I won't get a chance to really learn OMM. So I'll just apply to both and deal with deciding later if I end up getting into both.

It's a bit of both. I'm worried if I go to a DO school I'll miss out on some residency opportunities, but I'm also worried that if I go to an MD school I won't get a chance to really learn OMM. So I'll just apply to both and deal with deciding later if I end up getting into both.

Sounds good bro. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck homie