30+ MCAT scores and studying alone!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to take this summer off and focus on the MCAT. I will be travelling to another country this summer and would like to study alone without taking the prep courses. I will be sitting the MCAT hopefully by the end of August 2013. My aim is a score of 35 on the MCAT. Now here are my questions for everyone:

- If I purchase the Princeton Review books for each subject (chem, ochem, bio, physics, VR), and ExamKrackers complete study package, and all the AAMC practice tests, would I be good to go?

- Do I need the EK complete study package, if I am purchasing the TPR books? Should I just order EK 1001 books?

- Where can I get access to practice tests without having to take a prep course?

- What do you guys recommend? To those who studied alone and obtained a score of 35+, what did you do?

I would really appreciate your input guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't double up on the EK/TPR review material. That's a bit redundant. You can purchase the full-length AAMC exams at www.e-mcat.com. If you're going to self-study, you need to have a detailed, day-by-day plan so that you don't get behind. You also need to be disciplined. It's hard to study for something that's a long way away, but you have to force yourself to put in the time. It'll pay off.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I agree. This would be my first time taking the MCAT, and by knwoing myself I know that I am pretty self-disciplined. Your are right, maybe I should not be doubling up on EK and TPR. Which one do you recommend?

TPR or EK??

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR is a more detailed examination of the topics than EK. EK covers everything very succinctly (hence being such short books), but is not useful to students who are far removed from their pre-reqs/have multiple weak areas that require more detail. For example, I would pick EK personally simply because it's shorter and faster to work through. I would need TPR or TBR for physics though, because I'm weak there. EKs complete study package is the review material. 1001 by EK is comprised of basic, drill-type questions that will help you get fundamentals down. Again, good for weak areas (i.e. I use it for physics), but redundant if you understand the concepts. EK Bio 1001 is the exception--it's 'passage-type' questions, but is generally not similar to the MCAT testing format (so, again, basically drill-type questions). Practice passages are best for people who have the content down and need to practice the application of material itself.

I recommend downloading the AAMC subject outlines for each section, browsing through to see how familiar you feel with subjects, and picking a book set based on that. From there, a schedule similar to the 3 month plan recommended on this form is a good outline of how to use the materials to study. Good luck.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I agree. This would be my first time taking the MCAT, and by knwoing myself I know that I am pretty self-disciplined. Your are right, maybe I should not be doubling up on EK and TPR. Which one do you recommend?

TPR or EK??

As Georgette mentioned, EK is really only useful if you know the material pretty we already. It is meant to be comprehensive but as concise as possible. If you feel like you need to be TAUGHT the material, I would go with something other than EK.

(sent from my phone)

Hi Georgette,

Yes I did take my pre-reqs a while ago, so I believe going with TPR is a better choice for me. Would you know other than the AAMC practice tests available for purchase, how I can access other practice tests similar to the MCAT?

Also, I have been looking through the forum for the 3 month plan you mentioned but Im unable to find it... Would you mind sending me the link?