30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users

PS=12 VR=12 BS=12 Composite=36

Just a disclaimer, I didn't have that much time to study for the exam. I spent about 6 weeks total. Out of those 6 weeks, 5 were spent just reviewing and re-learning information. The last week was spent solely taking practice exams and self-assessments.

PS + BS: I relied heavily on EK. I reviewed everything using the EK books. Read through every page and underlined what I thought were important concepts. Occasionally took some notes, but for the most part just read through everything to jog my memory. Also got the EK audio osmosis to listen to during my commute to and from work. I didn't get through all of it, and parts of it were annoying, but it was refreshing to listen to someone talk about all the subjects you were endlessly reviewing silently by yourself. It was also nice that the audio lectures correlated pretty well to the EK books.

VR: Pretty much did not review for VR unless they were on the practice exams. It's all about being able to understand the main concept and what the author is trying to convey. At a certain point, I don't think reading magazines and books would help you that much, and neither would endless practice passages. As long as you have the critical reading skills, VR on the MCAT is all about having a clear head, the endurance for the length of the passages, and the ability to identify the main idea.

During the last week, after finishing each practice exam, I would go over the incorrect answers and then review those subjects. I also took a small notebook and wrote down little bits of information on subjects that I thought I had a hard time with. I wrote down equations, drew diagrams, wrote down some practice problems. I felt like this helped a lot because a lot of the things that you study for the MCAT are relatively simple and easy to remember, but there are different things for everyone that for one reason or another, is more difficult to commit to memory. For me it was things like how to figure out the weight of water an object would displace, or Voltage = IR,etc.

I thought this notebook was great because it highlighted all the things that I had trouble with and I could easily review the material everywhere and any time. On the train, in the bathroom (lol), before going to bed, after waking up, etc. It all helps pound those difficult subjects into your brain.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

All the EK subject review books.
Also used the AAMC self-assessment packages to get myself some extra passages and to identify some weak areas. Self assessments were nice because they used real MCAT passages and they gave you a LOT to work with. Biology SA was I believe 200 or so questions?

Only used AAMC practice exams and self-assessments.

AAMC 3 - took this without studying at all
PS 9 - VR 11 - BS 11 = 31
AAMC 9
PS 11 - VR 9 - BS 11 = 31
AAMC 10
PS 9 - VR 10 - BS 11 = 30
AAMC 5
PS 10 - VR 9 - BS 13 = 32
AAMC 4
PS 11 - VR 11 - BS 11 = 33
AAMC 11
PS 10 - VR 10 - BS 12 = 32

Biology. Took my exam my first year out of college while working.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Be calm when you take the exam. Before each section take a deep breath, clear your mind. Take all your breaks!!!

Even if you falter a bit during one of the sections, don't let that get to you. I thought I had BOMBED my PS section because I didn't get to finish. My memory is a little fuzzy now, but I don't think I even got to put a guess down for 1 or 2 of the questions. Since it was my first section I obviously didn't feel too great. But I took my break, got my snack and water, sat down, regrouped, and prepared myself for the next section. Important to remember that each section is a clean slate for you to start over, even if you think you messed up in the last section. Just like any sport, you need to keep your head in the game and move on to the next play.

DON'T skip around in the VR section. What might be a very difficult to read passage, could have the simplest questions and vice versa.

6 weeks.
Averaged about 2-3 hours a day the first 4 weeks while working.
Then took the last 2 weeks off and studied about 7-8 hours a day for the rest of the time.

Total hours ~200 hours

Reactions: 1 user
PS=15 VR=15 BS=14 Composite=44

PS: BR- Amazing for Physical sciences. I went through physics books 1+2 Orgo books 1+2 and chem books 1+2. I felt very confident after completing them!
VR: My secret: https://kindle.amazon.com, Read Read Read.
BS: Mixture of TPR and EK, If you have the background you will be fine.

3) What materials you used for each section
PS: BR, TPR sci workbook
VR: Not much, I did do the practice AAMC's and https://kindle.amazon.com
BS: TPR, and EK, Textbooks

Practice AAMC's

Pure Mathematics Minors: English Lit, Poli Sci
For VR: Read Read and Read some more. Any genre helps: fiction, Non fiction, newspapers
BS: Have a good textbook to reference when going through EK
PS: Having a math background helps:p, in all seriousness BR is awesome!
Dont stress, the MCAT is just another exam!!!!

On and off for 2 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, congrats on the 44, very impressive!

3rd (and final) take: PS=10 VR=13 BS=12 Composite=35
2nd take: PS=9 VR=10 BS=12 Composite=31
1st take: PS=11 VR=9 BS=10 Composite=30

*3rd take is almost 2 years after the first two.

PS: I don't think there's much you can do for physics other than knowing your formulas and doing tons of practice questions. I made flashcards for the formulas. Get familiar with doing calculations with scientific notations and logarithms, and always round numbers to make the math easier. It is important that you understand basic concepts (like atomic trends and such) in general chemistry very well because they can tie those into experimental questions etc. I'd say really pay attention to rate laws, equilibrium, solubility, and pH/acid-base because if you get a passage in Gchem, it'll be about one or more of those concepts.

BS: Make sure you get a hang of all the concepts first, otherwise doing practice problems really won't help much. TPR course provided a really good overview of all the topics covered. In addition, I studied using the TPR bio book and my college textbooks/notes. I never took physiology in college so I had to basically learn all the body systems from scratch. I took notes on important concepts and also made audio recordings so I could listen to it when I was working.

VR: I really didn't know how to prepare for VR when I was self-studying. I'm not a native English speaker, so my reading speed is pretty slow. I used EK101 to practice the first two times and basically didn't see any improvement. Second time around, I used TPR verbal workbook and felt like the TPR verbal strategy really helped me. Basically don't try to look for the right answer; instead, eliminate all the choices you know are wrong until you're left with one (least wrong) answer. With this in mind, I did LOTS of practice passages, untimed at first. Afterwards, analyze all of your answer choices. If you get it right, understand why and make sure your reasoning makes sense (i.e. you picked it because it sounded right is not a good reason). Ditto for questions you got wrong. After doing this for a while, I started recognizing the trick answer choices and was able to pick the right answers much faster. I'm so proud of how far I had come in this section.

I took the Princeton Review MCAT course, so I had access to all the TPR workbooks + online content. I self-studied for my first two MCATs with EK; honestly, I didn't try very hard, which is why my score did not improve.
For me, I like to understand all the concepts covered before doing practice questions, so EK didn't work well for me because of their shallow concept explanations.

I used AAMC practice exams + TPR practice exams, hyperlearning workbook, and all their online content that came with the course.

AAMC 3 - took this ~1 week after start of my TPR course
PS 12 - VR 12 - BS 9 = 33 (biased score because I took it before)
TPR 4
PS 11 - VR 10 - BS 12 = 33
TPR 2
PS 10 - VR 8 - BS 13 = 31
TPR 5
PS 9 - VR 10 - BS 13 = 32
AAMC 10
PS 12 - VR 11 - BS 15 = 38
AAMC 11
PS 12 - VR 12 - BS 12 = 36

*TPR tests are definitely harder than AAMC.

Biochemistry

It's really important to adjust your sleeping schedule at least a week before the test if you're taking it 8AM and, like me, is not a morning person. It'll help you avoid situations like the one I experienced (see below).

Don't freak yourself out the day before! I was fairly calm until the night before the test and couldn't fall asleep at all! As a result, I felt horrible during the test and thought I totally underperformed. My score ended up close to my practice average though, so I'm happy with it =].

During the test, always watch for your time. If you feel like you're getting stuck on a difficult passage, move on. You don't want to run out of time and guess on questions that you could have gotten correct. Also, use your breaks to take a deep breath and forget about the section you just finished. Give yourself a pep talk so you can ace the next section!

The TPR course was 4 months with a 1 month break in the middle. I didn't do much studying during the course because I was also working full time. After course ended, I did content review whenever I could and practice questions/exams on the weekends for ~2 months.

Special thanks to NickNaylor, MD Odyssey, and Renaissance Man. Their posts in the MCAT forum and blogs online sort of validated my test-heavy approach. The year-long thing was my own doing though.

PS=15 VR=10 BS=13 Composite=38

For PS I went through the BR review books. I was pretty good with most of the physics mechanics stuff, but other than that I went through all of the text and worked the examples on my own while covering the answers with my hand. Then I went through and made sure I had the right train of thought. I didn’t really stick to a dedicated schedule here, but I’ll say that I tried to do roughly a third of each section’s practice problems after going over the material the first time, and then “saved” the rest of them for when I needed practice. Later on, though, I wasn’t shy about reusing review material if I wanted to get more practice.

I’ll refrain from offering VR advice because of my relatively low actual score.

For BS I reviewed EK Bio, going through it once early on without taking notes, then again taking very detailed notes, and then skimmed it again. I should say that I haven’t actually taken General Biology yet, so I attribute doing well in this section to the A&P courses I’ve taken plus taking a year each of organic and graduate level biochemistry. I also listened to EK’s Audio Osmosis in the car for a few months. The review books filled in what few holes remained. I did TBR bio passages for practice. For the organic section I went through BR, which was sufficient enough to cover stuff I hadn’t learned in my course (mainly radical reactions).

EK Bio, VR and Audio Osmosis, TBR Bio, Physics, Gen Chem, and Organic. Also the SDN MCAT Q&A forum. A special shout out to the entire 3/23 thread for their support

As follows, in order. I took AAMC3 a year before the exam, before I did content review. I started taking full lengths regularly with GS1, about six months before the exam. For GS3 and beyond I took an EK VR section in lieu of the GS VR.

Test..................P/V/B
AAMC3...........10/9/10
GS1................11/7/10
GS2................10/8/11
PR Diag..........13/6/12
Kaplan6..........9/10/11
Kaplan7..........10/10/10
GS3(ek vr)......12/7/12
GS4(ek vr)......11/10/11
GS5(ek vr)......11/10/11
AAMC4...........13/11/13
GS6(ek vr)......10/12/10
GS7(ek vr).......9/10/14
GS8(ek vr)......10/11/12
AAMC8...........11/11/14
AAMC10.........14/12/14
GS9(ek vr)......9/8/13
AAMC6...........13/11/12
GS10(ek vr)....11/12/13
AAMC11.........14/13/14
AAMC5...........12/11/11
AAMC9...........14/11/13

Engineering, but that was >5 years ago.

I kept a running list of weak areas based on those practices, and I’d make sure I had them down before taking the next test. Also keep track of the type of questions you’re missing so you can figure out weak areas. For example, I found I was having left/right dyslexic problems, so I fixed that by getting in the habit of drawing pictures.

For tactics, find what works for you and don't let others push you away from that. For example, I use a lot of scratch paper in the PS section, in fact most of my booklet. Some people will tell you that if you use more than a page you're doing it wrong, but do what works for you! If I took their advice I would not have scored a 15 in PS!

For sciences all I can say is practice doing them fast. People in my test date thread said how PS was calc heavy, but I think I got through ok because of the gold standard PS gauntlet. From that experience I developed the strategy to blitz through the section, answer every question and aim for finishing 15 minutes early, then going back and taking care of the calculations or validating stuff I wasn’t sure of. The same for the BS section. I’m really slow at figuring out chirality, for example. So if I saw one, I just guessed at an answer, marked it, and moved on. Afterwards when I was fairly sure of 40 of the 52 questions, I’d first go through the marked ones, and then go through the entire exam from the beginning, to try and capture any silly mistakes on what I thought were high confidence questions.

I took my review slowly, roughly over the course of a year while working full-time. This was by no means an intensive review, in fact I took several weeks off at a time and didn’t stress about it. But by taking a low key, less structured route I was able to work 40+hr/week, volunteer, take classes and also study for the MCAT without going crazy or burning out. I was able to spend plenty of time doing stuff around the house, and spent plenty of time with the lady. I think during the last six weeks before the exam I took quite a few days off to just do other stuff, like study for midterms. Staying balanced helped me quite a bit. There were a lot of people on SDN who pooped all over my year-long plan, saying I’d forget everything I learned earlier or that I’d burn out, but if I had to do it over again I wouldn’t change anything.

PS=11 VR=15 BS=12 Composite=38

PS: EK--reviewed almost all of the material and then targeted problem areas from the AAMC tests with additional reading and practice questions
VR: EK method, AAMC practice tests and extensive post-game analysis
BS: EK review book, some Hyperlearning review questions

EK series, AAMC practice tests

Practice AAMCs:
#3 (pre-studying): 32 (10/10/12)
#11: 36 (10/13/13)
#3 (again, for more practice): 35 (12/12/11)
#10: 34 (11/12/11)
#9: 36 (11/13/12)

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

For VR: I read a lot--newspapers, books, etc. The EK method also helps some, but don't take it as gospel truth. It is good to get a feel for how the AAMC question writers think by reviewing your practice tests thoroughly.
BS: For me, the test was nearly all biology. Any organic chemistry didn't require knowledge of an actual mechanism, just an idea of how molecules would generally behave.
PS: No clue, I was terrible at this section!

Overall: do lots of practice tests/practice questions! That is one thing I would focus more on if I for some reason had to retake the MCAT. Also, based on my trial section, the 2015 MCAT is going to be very difficult, so take the changes and the new material seriously.

Spent about 8 months, off an on, slowly going through all of the EK books. 5 weeks before the test I started studying in earnest, did four practice tests and reviewed any subject area I didn't fully understand from the practice material.

Special thank you to milski, SN2ed, BerkReviewTeach, ocdocdocd for helping me out along the way! In addition, thanks to everyone here who has posted their experiences. I found everything here extremely helpful. SDN is such a supportive community (well, for the most part), and I am so grateful to have found it!

I wrote this quickly and I'm super tired after a long day of work, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out there before I forget! I can add more to this if anyone would like suggestions!

PS=13 VR=11 BS=13 Composite=37

I cannot BELIEVE I am posting here! My first aamc practice test (before any studying) was a 24..... I believe that ANYONE who works hard enough can bring up their score to the 30's.

Physical Sciences
Berkeley Review is the KEY to physical sciences. Starting out, physical sciences was my worst subject (got 9's and 10's). I studied a few months using examkrackers and i got so discouraged with my scores. I gave up the mcat for a while (about 6 months) and went back to it with berkeley review and using SN2ed schedule (modified- basically did all TBR passages) and then PS became my best subject. Im the kind of person who needs to over study to feel confident.. and EK/Kaplan were way too watered down for me (although I'm sure theyre great for other learning styles). I thought I FAILED the physical sciences section on the test.. but clearly TBR had prepared me well. I highly recommend getting a tutor (I found a cheap/ amazing one for $25 an hour). I really need to talk about problems i have with chem and physics.. because i believe a lot of it is conceptual. TBR problems finds your weaknesses - and most of mine ended up to be conceptual misunderstandings... and talking out every difficult problem was so amazing. Especially with the help of milski and BRT on mcat discussions!! I could go on and on about the physical sciences section, because i practically only studied that for 3 months, so please let me know if you would like any more information and I can add it! I want to make it clear that i am NOT a physics/chem kind of person. But I was able to succeed with berkeley review.

Verbal
I did two passages of EK a day for two months. Then I switched to TPR and started doing "full lengths." I think both EK and TPR are crucial. EK gives really complex questions and TPR gives really confusing passages (more similar to the mcat). you need BOTH to really master verbal and become confident. I also found the aamc verbal assessment really helpful near the end of my studying

Biological sciences
To be honest, i did not spend much time on this. I majored in bio and i kind of love orgo, so this section came sort of easily to me. I think the key to this section is doing research / taking research classes or higher level bio classes in college. I normally finished my bio sections with half an hour left because i was so comfortable with reading the passages. My biggest piece of advice would be to NOT focus on the details of bio. I did that when I first started studying and it was a big waste of time. Instead, focus on understanding. Khan academy was really helpful for certain areas in bio.. and i would look up med school videos on youtube to clarify any conceptual things about insulin or the kidney that i didnt really understand. I used EK bio for this section because I thought TBR was extremely detailed. However, I used TBR orgo and i though it was EXCELLENT! I just read it once and did 1/3 of the passages and it was perfect preparation. Oh, I also used EK audio osmosis for bio... which was fun and i really liked it!

Edit: i realize that it may sound like you need to be a bio major to do well in this section.. but i did not mean to imply that. I mean that it was more natural for me because i was used to those types of passages. I think if someone read science passages every day during their mcat studying, they would be at that same level. Also, TPR (i glanced through it) seemed like a great bio resource. For someone without a lot of bio research experience i would recommend doing lots of problems and getting used to the passages .. do not focus on details or memorization!

EK Bio, TPR verbal, AAMC exams / self assessments, TBR physical sciences and orgo

All of the AAMCs
I took 3-9 the first time i tried studying (and then gave up).. i retook them the second time(didnt remember any of them) and then took aamcs 10 and 11

AAMC 4 2/26/2013: 10/10/10
AAMC 3 3/5/2013: 11/9/12
AAMC 5 3/8/2013: 12/11/12
AAMC 7 3/11/2013: 12/13/12
AAMC 8 3/14/2013 : 14/11/14
AAMC 9 3/17/2013: 13/12/13
AAMC 11 3/26/2013: 12/11/12
AAMC 10 3/30/2013: 12/19/13

Biology

I found it really useful to make a condensed physical sciences study guide ( a page per berkeley review chapter) the last two weeks before my test. This really solidified everything and made me confident that there was nothing I did not know. I saved the aamc verbal self assessment for the last week which was so helpful because it got me used to their way of writing passages. I also really adjusted my sleeping habits the last week which is SO IMPORTANT! i literally went to bed at 8:30 every night and woke up at 6 for the week before the test. It was miserable, but trust me, sleeping is so hard the night before an 8 am exam. Also, you really need to get there around 7 because a line starts forming at 7:15 ish. I started my exam a bit before 8.

Also do not let your post-section feelings affect you AT ALL. I thought i bombed physical sciences ( i didnt have time to check over my answers like i normally do). I thought about voiding because of it. But from my practice test experience I knew that my perceptions about physical sciences were always wrong. so i had to really get myself in the zone during breaks so that i could bring my focus back in. It is such a mental game. I can add more to this later... but i also started using visualization and mediation techniques the last two weeks before my exam.

3 months of content using EK (only ~ an hour a day)... took a 5 month break from mcat studying...
then 3 months using TBR (full time studying) I probably averaged about 4 hours a day for the first two months and then 6 hours a day the last month

Last edited:
Meredith92 Congratulations on your high score! How is average MCAT test results compared to your real exam?

My average was a 35 but my last five or six tests had a median of 37. So the Aamc exams ended up being predictive even though some of them I had retaken. You can see all of my scores on my post if that helps! Let me know of you have any other questions :)

PS=12 VR=10 BS=9 Composite=31

Basically used the 3 month study guide

EK books & EK1001 books along with Berkeley Review books (highly recommend these!)

All of the Practice AAMCs
Most of the Berkeley Review ones (these are EVEN better than aamc imo)

Physics

Yes, this was my second retake. I had a 24 on that first exam. If you do a section, say Optics and you don't feel comfortable: stop. Before rolling ahead with a guide or studying something else do extra practice on these problems. You should be doing about half of each of the 1001 question books, do the other half for the questions you need more practice on.

Also, try to read what the book end explanations say, sometimes it's done in a quicker way to solve that problem. This can prove to be useful to save time, even if it is just seconds.

I studied over a school semester, so about 5 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS=12 VR=10 BS=13 Composite=35

For PS, I used Chad's videos for content review. If you use his videos and take great notes, then you're totally set for GenChem and 95% ready for Physics. Those videos are definitely worth it. Then I would skim BR to find anything helpful and do the passages. The passages in BR are hard and you'll miss a bunch, but it'll make the AAMC tests so much easier. Kaplan also has great passages in their section and topical tests fyi.

Verbal sucks and is very frustrating. I did the entire TPRH verbal book and maybe half of the EK 101 verbal book. My only tip is to develop your own style of tackling the passages. My score constantly fluctuated between 8 and 12 with no real trend. I'm glad that I hit 10 on the real thing, but it could've swung either way.

For biology, I used EK and for Ochem I used Chad's videos and EK. For me, BR was just waaay too much detail for the biological sciences. EK BIO is a perfect book, it literally has everything you need and nothing more. Chad+EK for Ochem is a great combo. Now, I am a bio major so maybe if you don't know biology then you'll need the detail of BR. If you have time, genetics is the best course to take before the MCAT. It is the course that helped me the most, I think I had like 3 straight up genetics passages on my MCAT. TPRH and EK lecture exams are a good source of passages as well as Kaplan.

Overall, I basically did 2.5 months of content review, and 2.5 months of all practice passages (from BR, TPRH). During content review I did a lot of standalone questions and some passages also. I was lucky to have access to a ton of different materials, and i just picked what I liked best.

PS-Chad and BR
Verbal- TPRH and EK 101
BS- Chad, EK

Diagnostic-20 (7/5/8) (no studying)
AAMC 3 was 28 after content review.
Then I took a month of practice passages and some Kaplan FLs
For AAMC 4-11 my avg was 34
I got 33 on the infamous AAMC 11, so I thought 11 was harder than the real thing.
I also tracked down Kaplan 1-6 FLs and averaged maybe a point or so higher than AAMC. So both AAMC and Kaplan were predictive for me.

Biology

Try to survey other materials from friends to find out what works best. Don't give up, anybody can do good on this test it just takes time. Set a high goal, and go after it hard. But remember that if you come up short, you're still probably in the range of getting in a US MD school.

Altogether, I put in about 5 months, with the last 2 being basically all practice passages and full-lengths. I was working part-time and taking a full schedule at school, so I obviously wasn't able to go all-out MCAT everyday. If you have 3 months with MCAT only, then I'm pretty sure that would be enough.

PS=12 VR=11 BS=14 Composite=37

I spent about three months studying. I thoroughly read TBR for physics, chemistry, and organic chemistry. I found the EK for orgo to be pretty terrible. TBR really teaches you to have a god-mode understanding of how the physical universe works from the atom up to a macro level. I thoroughly recommend TBR. The BS for TBR is too ponderous and TMI and I found EK to be a pretty good review for Bio. I took really thorough notes in my notebook as I was reviewing concepts. I think this really helped me stay engaged with the material, remember it better, recognize gaps in my understanding, and was a great resource to review later on.

I only did 1 AAMC practice test and I never studied under timed conditions because it scared me. Probably not a good move but it somehow worked out for me.

PS = The Berkeley Review
BS = ExamKrackers
VS = No preparation except one AAMC practice test (#3)

AAMC #3 (the free one), that's it. Untimed. Yeah... I got a 36 on it too (took it a week before I took the real thing). Don't be me!

Psychology and philosophy

Lots of practice tests! If you feel comfortable with the concepts then don't linger over content review. Just start drilling on practice exams! Also don't be afraid of being afraid on the real test. I have struggled with anxiety my whole life and I get way more scared and anxious than my peers do. On the real test I had a panic attack during the first PS passage because it was very confusing to me and I thought my confusion would persist throughout the whole test and ruin me. I soldiered through it anyway, even though I felt like storming out of the test room and having a nervous breakdown. But I got a good score anyway, even though I thought I bombed it! So if you feel fear, don't worry about the fact that you're afraid. It may not hurt you as much as you think it will.

3 months, 5 days/week, ~6hrs/day

Last edited:
Kaplan Classroom Anywhere; but honestly just used their study timeline as a guide, the classes weren't always super helpful but the number of practice tests/questions was huge.

Also Chad's Videos was great resource to explain content. I watched some of those videos three times if it was a subject I had trouble with. He shows you how to do some physics problems, too, which was a big plus over Kaplan.

Kaplan, AAMC

Kaplan FL 1-8
AAMC 5 , 4, 11

I took full-lengths once a week 1 month before, then a FL every 2-4 days in the month leading up to the test, reviewing the tests & content in between. Took the last full lengths 3-4 days before the real test.

This was a re-take for me, so I avoided using practice tests I had already taken the previous year (Kaplan FL 1 & 2, AAMC 3, 8, 7, 9, 10). I tended to remember passages/questions I had already seen so I needed fresh material.

Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (graduated ~2 years ago)

Do every practice test/question you can get your hands on. Make sure you have content down with discrete questions first, then move on to lots of passage based problems. Start practice tests early on and practice pacing.

Nerves were a big thing for me the first time so I did positive mantras for about a month and took the day off before the MCAT. BIG help. Was not nearly as nervous for test day #2.

6 months, with increasing hours/week as MCAT got closer

Last edited:
9/11/12 - PS: 12, VR: 7, BS: 12, Composite: 31
4/27/13 - PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 13, Composite: 35 YAY! :cool:

Both times I used the 3-month SN2ed with modifications. For my first test, I followed every detail of the schedule. The second time, I used all the same materials. I even did the same verbal passages. The only difference was I completely cut out the EK 1001 books (found those really unhelpful), completely cut out BR biology and got the TPRH Science workbook (it's okay).

PS: BR books, TPRH Science workbook
VR: TPRH Verbal workbook, EK 101, Kaplan Verbal book, reading randomly (books, newspapers, magazines)
BS: BR books, TPRH Science workbook

The AAMC full lengths (all of them):
9/11/12 average = 34.6
4/27/13 average = 36.8

As you can see, both times my averages were fairly similar. The first MCAT exam was really a fluke for me. I never had a verbal score that low. On my practice exams all my verbal scores were 9-12.

ACS Biochemistry

If you want to retake, retake if you have a good reason. For me, if I had a balanced score, I would have applied. Remember - scores aren't everything. Actually they mean close to nothing if you don't have a good personality, dedication and list of activities. I retook the test because my verbal score was very low and because I knew it did not reflect my averages.

Also, never void because you're scared. Odds are, you have no idea how you did. When I took the test the first time, I thought the BS and PS were extremely difficult and I actually thought VR was a breeze - turns out that was completely backwards. The second time, I thought BS and PS were easy and that VR was so difficult. I was scared I would repeat my 7. And I didn't. You really never know, and I can't believe the amount of people that void because they're scared, even when they have the averages to prove otherwise.

3 months each time.
The first time I studied during the summer and I was really hardcore about it, stressing myself out to the max. This time, I was studying for the MCAT during my second semester of my junior year. I had 4 class, but they were really easy to keep up with. I studied for the MCAT 1-3 hours max per day, with a break day every week. I went out, partied, watched lots of TV.

I think it's totally possible to study for the MCAT during school, but you need to know your limits. I actually do better studying for the MCAT with school, because it feels natural, it's just like another class. During the summer I'm so damn lazy that studying for the MCAT feels like climbing a mountain. So keep this in mind. If you do study for the MCAT during the summer, remember you're going to pretty much give up school work, so make sure you have the ability to do this. I came out of this semester with a 4.0 because I took the right classes for what I was going to face.

You can do this!

9/1/2012: 12PS, 8V, 10BS (30)
4/26/2013: 11PS, 10V, 13BS (34)

Basically studied ~4 hours per day for ~4 months.

All AAMC materials
PS: TBR, Kaplan, TPRHL
V: EK101, TPRHL
BS: Kaplan, TPRHL, pubmed articles

4) What practice tests did you use?
My scores:

My scores:

TBR Physics (retake)
Section 1: 77% (11)
Section 2: 86% (13)
Section 3: 73% (11)
Section 4: 73% (11)
Section 5: 79% (12)
Section 6: 77% (11)
Section 7: 77% (11)
Section 8: 83% (12)
Section 9: 94% (14)
Section 10:

TBR General Chemistry (retake)
Section 1: 78% (12)
Section 2: 94% (14)
Section 3: 76% (11)
Section 4: 78% (12)
Section 5: 84% (13)
Section 6: 83% (12)
Section 7: 82% (12)
Section 8: 79% (12)
Section 9: 86% (13)
Section 10: 79% (12)

(retake) AAMC Self Assessment Biology: 88%
(retake) AAMC Self Assessment General Chemistry: 88%
(retake) AAMC Self Assessment Organic Chemistry: 90%
(retake) AAMC Self Assessment Verbal Reasoning: 81%

TPRHL Science Workbook (retake) (all regular bio passages): 78%
TPRHL Science Workbook (all regular gen chem passages): 83%
TPRHL Science Workbook (all physics passages): 81%
TPRHL Verbal Workbook: (retake) (all verbal passages): 80%
TPRHL Verbal Test 1 (retake): 35/40 (11) using AAMC 10 scale
TPRHL Verbal Test 2 (retake): 33/40 (10)
TPRHL Verbal Test 3 (retake): 31/40 (9)
TPRHL Verbal Test 4 (retake): 33/40 (10)

EK101 (took all 14 tests the first time around) (old version out of 60 questions):
Test 5: 45/60 (10)
Test 6: 47/60 (10)

Kaplan Section Tests:
BS1: 83%
BS2: 63%
BS3: 71%
BS4: 84%
BS5: 71%
BS6: 84%
BS7: 71%

PS1: 71%
PS2: 63%
PS3: 62%
PS4: 54%
PS5: 75%
PS6: 71%
PS7: 60%

Kaplan Full Lengths: (PS/BS only) in chrono order
FL1: 21 (11PS, 10BS)
FL2: 25 (13PS, 12BS)
FL3: 23 (12PS, 11BS)
FL4: (13BS)
FL5: 27 (14PS, 13BS)
FL6: 25 (12PS, 13BS)
FL7: 26 (13PS, 13BS)
FL8: 26 (13PS, 13BS)
FL9: 25 (13PS, 12BS)

AAMC FLs retake in chrono order
AAMC11: 37 (15PS, 10V, 12BS)
AAMC10: 32 (12PS, 9V, 11BS)
AAMC7: 36 (13PS, 11V, 12BS)
AAMC8: 35 (12PS, 10V, 13BS)
AAMC9: 36 (14PS, 11V, 11BS)
AAMC5: 34 (13PS, 10V, 11BS)
AAMC4: 36 (13PS, 10V, 13BS)

Health Sciences

For PS, use TBR to get the basics and then do Kaplan Section/Topical/Full Lengths. Kaplan PS is extremely difficult and overprepares you for even the worst PS on test day.

For V, I such at verbal so I can't offer much advice here. I'm very lucky to pull off a 10. I just did EK101 and TPRHL verbal and the AAMC stuff.

For BS, read the discussion sections of pubmed articles. Understand the graphs. Your actual BS bio passages are going to look very similar to those. Also, don't underestimate orgo because I had 3 orgo passages in my BS section.

4 months for the first time.
4 months for the second time.

PS=13 VR=10 BS=11 Composite=34

For VR I went through the entire TPR book for VR. For the other sections I just took 3 through 12 of the AAMC practice tests.

Princeton Review only, individual tutoring for verbal reasoning

Only AAMC tests.

Biochemistry in the Chemistry Department at UCSB

Practice, a lot, that's the only way to become proficient at the verbal section. Learn to calm your nerves for the real test too. Also your breaks are not 10 minutes, plan for 4 minute or less breaks, you will have to deal with a security check going in and out of the testing room and this may be a lengthy check at times.

Also your practice test scores will typically be + or - 2 away from your real score. After around an MCAT score of 34, skill starts becoming less of a factor and luck starts taking a serious role in your score. My average on the practice tests was around a 36 and I got a 34 on the real thing. My high score was a 38. I have always been around 34-38 in the practice test and the real thing ended up like that too.

I never really sat down and studied hard for the test. I just treated studying the MCAT like another course in my schedule. On my first practice test AAMC 10 I got a 35 . I usually spent 2 hours a week with a tutor for the verbal section for 4 months and spent 1 hour a week on verbal passages. Then on the weekend I always took one full length test at my testing time (which was 1 PM) and went over that test the next day and with the tutor.

11P 09V 12B - 32 - April 27th, 2013

PS: For the first test, I used NOVA physics and did not study for Gen Chem since I had just finished the classes. It was a huge mistake. The second time through I ran through TBR Physics and TBR Gen Chem. I highly suggest picking up these two books since they really teach you how to think conceptually in both subjects.

VR: I had such a hard time in verbal. My suggestion is that you need to start picking up reading material that has an opinion or a book. You need to realize that the verbal reasoning section there is an author whom is trying to convey a message to you. That message might not coincide with your beliefs but you are supposed to pick up this message through tone and content. If you can do that you will start to do better. Although I did not reach a 10 I felt a lot better in this section once I started to see what the author of the passage seemed to be hinting at.

BS: I personally feel that the BS section mirrors the VR section to a certain degree. I had the content down in biological sciences when I took my first MCAT. It was only once I started doing better in verbal that my BS scores started to sky rocket.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

PS: TBR G.Chem and Physics
VR: TPRH Verbal Workbook + Reused all AAMC Verbal Passages
BS: TBR Bio (skimmed unnecessary subjects) + EK Organic Chem ( I was strong in O.Chem, if you are weak I would suggest TBR O.Chem)

All AAMCs, I had taken them twice. Once before my first MCAT and once before my third MCAT. Here are my practice breakdowns:

1st time taking tests

PS | VR | BS
---------------------------------------------
12 | 08 | 09 - 29 AAMC #3
10 | 07 | 10 - 27 AAMC #4
11 | 07 | 09 - 27 AAMC #5
13 | 08 | 12 - 33 AAMC #7
11 | 08 | 09 - 28 AAMC #8
13 | 07 | 09 - 29 AAMC #9
12 | 08 | 10 - 30 AAMC #10
10 | 06 | 08 - 24 AAMC #11

2nd time taking tests

PS | VR | BS
13 | 09 | 11 - 33 AAMC #3
12 | 12 | 13 - 37 AAMC #4
12 | 09 | 12 - 33 AAMC #5
13 | 09 | 12 - 34 AAMC #7
12 | 10 | 13 - 35 AAMC #8
13 | 11 | 11 - 35 AAMC #9
14 | 09 | 12 - 35 AAMC #10
13 | 09 | 12 - 34 AAMC #11

Although the scores are inflated, I firmly believe in retaking the practice tests if you have exhausted them before. I did not remember much of the tests but I believe it is beneficial because no other company can mirror the feel of the MCAT as the AAMC practice tests can.

Criminal Justice

Don't ever give up no matter what anyone else says. If you believe you can get a 30+ on this test, the only one stopping it from becoming reality is yourself.

Altogether around 8 months for about 4-5 hours a day. Two of those months were months where I was waiting for my score to come back and was not studying for the MCAT.

Last edited:
2nd MCAT (5/26/2011): 12PS 13VR 14BS; Composite: 39O (99+ percentile)
1st MCAT (5/1/2010): 11PS 8VR 11BS; Composite: 30P (75th percentile)

The stuff below is how I prepared for my 2nd MCAT (39O). I used Kaplan the first time and do not recommend the Kaplan MCAT book AT ALL. TL;DR at the end for people like me who don't want to read the whole thing.

2) The study method used for SCIENCE sections
  • Read and review one chapter of EK per day (2-3 hours)
  • Read very carefully (no skimming) and pay special attention to the bolded and highlighted words/concepts
  • Keep a record of ANY particularly difficult concepts on a separate page (I called mine "Things I need to review")
  • Complete in-lecture questions as you read and review
  • Take a break and do the 30-minute in-class exam for the chapter completed (30 min)
  • Wait till the next day to review the exam: Don’t review immediately because you will still think about most questions in the same erroneous way which led you to miss them the first time. Instead, wait a day and review the missed questions with a fresh mind.
  • After finishing each subject, I would refer to the "Things I need to review" page and study topics I had difficulty with by seeking other sources: Wikipedia, Khan Academy and Google searches.
  • tl;dr summary: Read one EK chapter, do in-lecture questions, take a break, do 30-minute exam, wait a day, review.

• Examkrackers: MCAT Physics + Khan Academy videos
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Chemistry
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Biology
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Organic Chemistry
  • Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning
  • tl;dr summary: EK science books, EK 101 Verbal

• AAMC 4, 5, 6R, 7R, 8, 9, 10, 11, Kaplan FL9
  • I found the old MCAT practice exams which have ~60 more questions
  • These longer exams train you to time yourself better and last longer :rolleyes:
  • My practice test results: http://goo.gl/LZRfV (For FL's and EK 101 Verbal)
N0vKw.png

• Biology
  • Neuroscience (minor)

Reviewing your practice exams/questions (SUPER IMPORTANT!):
  • Keep a separate notebook to write down concepts and formulae that you did not know/understand which led you to miss the question
  • Don’t make this long, just one or two succinct notes per question
  • Over time these will add up and will be extremely helpful
  • Often, knowing more about the wrong choices would have helped you eliminate them and pick the right one. So, also make notes about any concepts in the wrong choices that you didn’t know/had difficulty with.
  • tl;dr summary: Keep a list of succinct notes about concepts you had difficulty with on missed questions. Review this list several times
Verbal
  • I went from an 8VR to 13VR simply by doing a lot of practice
  • Whenever I had the chance, I would do a 60-minute exam from the EK 101 Verbal book and review it the next day (total of 14 60-minute exams)
  • Obviously, I also got verbal practice as part of the full-length (FL) exams
  • After you do enough practice, you will consciously/subconsciously recognize the underlying patterns to MCAT verbal questions
  • tl;dr summary: TONS of practice and careful review a day later

• Studying: 12 weeks; <3h/day; 4 days a week (weekends plus one day off per week :D)
  • Practice Exams: 8 exams in 3 weeks
  • I maintained a very flexible schedule that covered about 3-4 chapters a week

TL;DR:
  • Score: 39O (12PS 13VR 14BS)
  • Studying: Read one EK chapter, do in-lecture questions, take a break, do 30-minute exam, wait a day, review.
  • Books: EK science books, EK 101 Verbal
  • Practice: Lots of full-length (FL) exams, especially the older, longer MCAT practice exams
  • Reviewing: Review a day later and keep a list of succinct notes about concepts you had difficulty with on missed questions which you should review several times
  • Verbal: TONS of practice and careful review a day later

Final thoughts:
Like any standardized test, the MCAT can be mastered with enough practice. The key is to do LOTS of practice to shift your mindset into MCAT-mode, which is different from the thinking/mindset you use in most undergrad classes. Do not take test-prep lightly (as I did the first time around) and give it your best shot from the very beginning.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask/PM.

This is great! :)

i did all the AAMC FLs and averaged about 10 11 10

i'm now doing TBR FLs to hopefully get about 33 on actual exam.

i'm now noticing that i get fatigued halfway through BS. i get anxious to finish reading passages and then feel like i missed crucial points while skimming so i go back and read them. this is, of course, not great use of test time.

i'm about a week out from test date. should i stop doing FLs?

i was going to do my last FL 3 days away from test date and then spend the next day reviewing notes. finally, having 1 day just rest before the test.

any thoughts/suggestions from 30+ achievers to prevent burnout and fatigue on actual test date?

thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong thread. People that scored a 30+ don't check this as often as people hoping to get a 30+. But I'm sure if you post this in MCAT discussions as it's own thread you will get lots of replies there. Good luck! I hope you do well.

the first time I took the exam I got a 31 (7 in VR), That score was over 3 years old so I retook. The second time I got a 29 (5 in VR!) Thought my chances were over but didnt want to go down without swinging so I signed up for the next available test which was in 2 weeks.
Got a 13p 8v 13b

For the sciences its simple, you just need to understand all the material. That means you have to have to put in a ton of effort to thoroughly understand each concept so you can adapt when the MCAT throws you random ass passages. I advise to first read and take notes on all the tested topics then do a crap load of passages. Review each question and make yourself a notebook of all the questions you missed or didnt know and write out all the relevant concepts tied to each question.

I hated verbal with a passion. What I did to bring my score up to an 8 was just skip the hardest passage and select A for all its questions. That gave me additional time for the rest of the passages. When youre reviewing when you get a question wrong try to answer it without looking at the answer key - look for the answer in the passage.

Finally my advice for those who want to score really well is get all the AAMC material (self assessment exams and AAMC practice tests) and retake them over and over. I know a lot of people say not to but it really helps you get familiar with how aamc asks questions and their passages. It will help you brush up on all the material tested on the mcat and it will also save you time on the actual test because you'll be able to predict questions while reading the passage.

4/26/13: 13/13/14 --- 40

PS/BS: I followed SN2ed's 4-month schedule with some alterations. For the first pass through of material, I would solely read and do the passages. On the reread days, I would take my notes on the chapters. Sometimes this would take 2 days instead of 1, but I gave myself a pretty large time-gap between the end of the schedule and test day (~25 days). I also changed it significantly upon reaching the hat trick. I tried it a few times and couldn't get into it, so I chose instead to shore up content gaps with more EK 1001, TPR Cracking the MCAT CBT, and Chad/wikipremed/Khan videos.

VR: 3 passages. Every single day. Ran out of EK101 and TPRH Verbal, so I found other sources. The AAMC Self Assessment and the EK verbal/math workbook each had some extra passages that I used, as well as cracking the MCAT CBTs.

SN2ed stuff:
PS: BR, EK1001
BS: EK, BR
VR: EK101, TPRH, EK
Extras: TPR Cracking the MCAT, AAMC

I took all the AAMC tests, a Kaplan test, and a TPR test but I ONLY took them after content review. I took one a week on Saturday morning to simulate test conditions.

2/16 Kapalan Diag: 34 (12/11/11)
2/23 AAMC 3: 36 (13/12/11)
3/2 AAMC 5: 34 (11/11/12)
3/9 AAMC 4: 33 (11/10/12)
3/16 TPR 1: 24 (9/8/7)
3/23 AAMC 7: 35 (11/12/12)
3/30 AAMC 8: 39 (14/13/12)
4/6 AAMC 9: 38 (13/13/12)
4/13 AAMC 10: 35 (14/11/10)
4/20 AAMC 11: 37 (13/11/13)

Psychology

I felt like it was important to work on it every day. Doesn't have to be 4 hours or anything, but to just get something accomplished. Giving myself a longer period than normal to study for it let me spread it out, keeping me from getting overwhelmed or burnt out on the material.

I started studying mid-December. Since I was also working a full-time job, I didn't want to take any chances with timing. Roughly 2-3 hours every night coming home, and a couple more hours each weekend day, put me right where I wanted to be.

Honestly, I was stunned by my 40, having never achieved it during my practices. But the most important part was that I entered the test feeling prepared, nothing felt weak or flimsy.
Hope this helps

Can't believe I am posting here after visiting this thread countless times. Surreal!

1) Your individual scores and composite score.

May 18 test
PS 12
Verbal 13
BS 14
MCAT total 39:wow:(still in disbelief)

2) The study method used for each section.

I tried doing Sn2ed's schedule. It was tough...and I'm on my gap year so I don't even have classes! It's tough because it's a lot...and if you're DOING IT RIGHT, YOU WILL FALL BEHIND. Yes. You will. (Well I guess, 90% of us will). This is because not all topics are created the same. Some will be harder for you and you will take longer to go through them. Don't treat this schedule as a checklist that you must tick off...it's just a guide. Know thyself and adjust if need be. I skipped the 1001 questions because it took too much time. I decided that I will do them if I'm having trouble with a particular concept. I also decided not to do the re-reads after every week... because it's kinda IMPOSSIBLE :naughty: I did write on a notebook though when I'm going through a chapter...I have always been the kind of person who takes USEFUL NOTES (the operative word here is useful) when I studied as an undergrad, so I kept doing that. Useful notes is not the same as regurgitating the TBR text. I often made flowcharts and tables to hammer in key differences or similarities (ex. mitosis v. meiosis, sympathetic vs. para). Give yourself a few extra weeks before starting Sn2ed's schedule. See if it works and adjust if you must.

PS I am a bit weak in physics and I'm also around three years out from my physics 1 class. Although I can get A's on physics, it doesn't come naturally to me as it would other people. I thought Gchem was pretty easy during undergrad so I wasn't too worried about that. However, when I started doing prep, it turned out that Gchem wasn't as easy as I thought! Anyway, onto my prep..

TBR Gchem and Physics is your BESTFRIEND and WORST ENEMY. It will scar you, but it will be worth it. I feel like my physics improved so much because of TBR. More importantly, I really benefited from their POE (process of elim.) and TURBO short-cuts. How come we, as undergrads, were never taught to do math that way? But that's besides the point. Seriously, though. Eat this up. I know my PS grade is not amazing, but a 12 is solid. I don't think I would have gotten a 12 without TBR. Also, during my MCAT, I felt pretty confident after the PS section because I feel like I was able to answer everything and nothing stumped me. I knew I still made mistakes, but that initial boost of confidence is oh so crucial in maintaining my momentum.

Verbal Admittedly, I didn't prep for verbal as much as I should. More like...I didn't prep much at all. I tried a few passages from EK 101 and TPR, and I was scoring pretty okay. (Two to three wrong on a difficult passage, perfect on some, one wrong here and there). I decided to focus on PS and BS because of this. My main practice for verbal was the AAMC practice exams pretty much!

BUT, please don't do this.

I scored pretty well but I think that's because I love to read and have pretty good comprehension and critical thinking skills. As a Women's Studies minor, I read tons of dense material towards the end of my undergrad, and was used to reading verbose articles from the humanities. AAMC tests were a good resource though. I went over the things I got wrong and was really able to get a feel of how AAMC wants you to answer verbal (ultimately, they dictate what the right answer is!)

BS I might be in the minority here because I adored TBR Bio. I know, I know. It's way too detailed...but I feel like the details made sense. It fit with other concepts, and they constantly hammer certain stuff on you, which I think is really helpful. Also, I come from a strong research background, so again, I maybe in the minority when I say that I love research-based Bio passages. I think that's why I got that 14 in Bio. Still can't believe it though!

I was a few years out from Ochem, and was very intimidated by it...but...the Ochem they will test you on is quite basic. Make it your friend. Say hi to Ochem. Know sn2, sn1, e1,e2 COLD. Know the conditions that favor each. Look at AAMC's topic list on Ochem and know all the reactions. You don't have to memorize the mechanisms, just look at the reactions and have a feel of what the product will look like. If you know Ochem, then you know that certain mechanisms are just different iterations of the protonate this-this gets charged-this one leaves scenario.

3) What materials you used for each section?

TBR (except verbal) - amazing, amazing resource.
AAMC official guidebook - to get a feel of AAMC questions...especially for Bio!
EK 101 and TPR verbal (barely.. like I said, I didn't prep as much as I should)
TPR hyperlearning books (used it for content, since I'm non-trad and a few years out from my other pre-reqs)

AAMC practice tests
3- (11,12,10) 33
4- (10,13,11) 34
5- (10,11,13) 34
7- (10,11, 12) 33
8- (10,11,11) 32
11- (10,10,12) 32

This is when I started to panic. Yes, 8 and 11 are harder tests but I also found that most of my mistakes in PS is due to lack of content knowledge (as in not knowing the equations). I felt like I don't want to come in to the test not knowing that (rho x v x g) is different from (rho x g x h). I know 32 is still a solid score (although I'm hoping for 34+) but I also knew that a 32 on a practice exam could mean a 30 on the actual..or less than that. So, I decided to postpone from April 26 to May 18...

I spent the next few days relaxing actually... (felt like I was too stressed when I took the 8 and 11 AAMCs).. and solidified my physics content as much as I could..

9- (13,11,11) 35
10- (12,11,12) 35

Real MCAT (12, 13, 14) 39

I am as shocked as you are. I was dreaming of a 36, but know that a 34 is more likely. I am still in disbelief. I think I performed well under pressure and the post-game analysis I did on my tests were successful. I wish I could say that there was a big secret behind the jump in my score, but there's none. I didn't prep perfectly, but I prepped smartly. Towards the end, I hammered on my weaknesses because I feel like I got the other things down. My background in research helped me immensely in Bio...and I did my best to remain excited for every passage during verbal.. I was literally forcing a smile every passage and acted like that passage is the best thing I've read in ages.

Word of caution: I do feel that certain TBR chapters "prep" you for the AAMC practice tests. If you master TBR, you will see crazy high scores on certain AAMC sections. I distinctly remember certain experiments or question stems that are pretty similar between TBR and AAMC practice tests. Hence, some people might get some inflated scores on their practice tests. Yes, there is a chance that you will see the same styles of questioning on the real MCAT, but seeing the same experiments? I doubt it. Hence, when studying using TBR, don't just memorize the experiment-- understand the concepts behind it.

Bio major, Women's Studies minor

It will be tough. Expect that you will fall behind, you will get crappy practice scores, and you will break down from time to time. It's fine. It's normal. Have a strong support system (boyfriend, girlfriend, family, etc.) and let them know what you're going through. They won't completely understand (why are you studying too much? you'll be fine!) but it helps if they know.

If you are down, take a break. I didn't take the required breaks when I first started the schedule because I was a bit behind. Since I'm trying to catch up and was not taking breaks...I just broke down and was not very productive for weeks. Have someone police you and keep you back on track if this happens. You are not a robot, you're human, so give space for human-like detours. If you're having difficulties on a chapter, look for a youtube video on it... if it's physics or gchem, do more practice problems. It will start to stick.

I didn't "get" most physics chapters until I was doing 3/3 (the last 1/3 of the question set). Seriously. It took me that long. It's fine. You will be fine. However, don't skip on a concept and simply wish that it won't be on your MCAT. My MCAT focused on a very narrow set of topics for PS... remember, everything is fair game, and they can ask 5 questions about a topic that you skipped on because you felt like it was too hard and would never come up anyway.

The most important piece of advice: TAKE IT WHEN YOU'RE READY*. I have a 3.9 gpa and strong ECs, and all that's left is my MCAT. If I rushed, I would have gotten a 32 or 33...which is fine, but pretty average for California. Because I took my time, and took it when I was ready, that 39 is now opening more doors for me! If you prep wisley, it's worth it.

*You will never feel completely ready. The scope is too wide and everything is fair game. But if you covered everything and finished all TBR practice questions, all AAMCs, and went over them... you're as close to ready as can be.

P.S. Don't do what I did for Verbal. I think I got that score through years of developing solid critical thinking skills. Since I already had that, all I had to do was understand how AAMC wants me to answer certain questions. I think that's why I got that jump in my verbal score. That and making funny faces so I remained excited for every passage.

On and off for a year! Graduated June 2012...started reading some TPR content around Sept and Oct, took a break Nov, did some reading again on Dec. This is because I'm a non-trad and took some of my prereqs at least 3 yrs before. Started doing Sn2ed's sched on Jan 2013...fell behind...picked myself up around March 2013. Realized that I won't make it to the April 26 test.. postponed to May 18...and it's GOLDEN!

Last edited:
5/23 Exam
PS-11 VR-13 BS-11 Total-35

I kept trying to make solid plans, but I work full time and it wound up being a lot more haphazard than I'd wanted. I mainly used Berkeley review, and spent a lot of time initially reviewing content. In hindsight, I would've spent less time reading/note-taking and more time doing passages. Did almost the entire TPRH workbook to study for verbal. Was going to start in on EK101 but ran out of time. Also had the EK books that I'd skim for content review/do some problems out of. I was VERY heavy on reviewing mistakes. I kept a log of every mistake I ever made in my prep and why I made it. I was able to identify a lot of general test-taking strategy I could improve upon by doing this, and I think this made a difference.

1) TBR for all 4 sciences - I read all of them through and did passages in every chapter, though I kind of ran out of time towards the end and only did a couple passages from each of the latter chapters of each subject.
2) TPRH Verbal Workbook
3) EK Verbal Strategy Book - I read through this in the beginning of my prep and actually liked it a lot, and generally stuck with their strategy for verbal
4) EK Subject Books/1001's/Audio Osmosis - used these VERY lightly as supplementary study here and there
5) Also occasionally used videos/websites online to clear up concepts, though I didn't get the sense it did a whole lot for me.

AAMC 3 29/45 (9/12/8)
AAMC 4 31/45 (9/11/11)
AAMC 5 32/45 (10/12/10)
AAMC 7 35/45 (11/12/12)
AAMC 8 33/45 (11/11/11)
AAMC 10 34/45 (12/11/11)
AAMC 11 33/45 (11/11/11)
Gold Standard 1 25/45 (8/8/9) --> offered free on their website. It was HARD but I think good prep. Would recommend these if you wanted something outside of the AAMC's!

psych

It's just a test. It REALLY is. The closer I got to it too, the more I believed that, to the point where I genuinely wasn't nervous to take it. I meditate frequently and always prioritize sleep, exercising and relaxing over cramming in an extra hour of studying and I swear that is the biggest secret to my success. The month leading up to the test I actually started going out more frequently on weekends than I had been in previous months, and the week leading up to it I ate a 100% clean healthy diet and slept at least 8 hours a night. We're humans, not robots. We learn better and perform better when we take care of ourselves. Plus you can only EFFECTIVELY study so many hours in a day. Another huge source of calm was the fact that the WORST a bad score could do was delay me. I knew I wasn't going to just roll over and give up if the test went badly, and I didn't go in thinking my dreams would be ruined by a low score - I might just have to wait a cycle to ensure I did well enough on a second try. Really try to maintain perspective! Oh, and your friends and family are there for you and want to support you - lean on them a little. It's what they're there for and I was very lucky to have mine.

~5 months (while working)
I started in the beginning of January and on good weeks put in maybe 20 hours. I had a lot of weeks where I put in 8-12 hours at most, and a couple weeks where I did nothing at all (got sick at one point, life stuff got in the way). Mostly I just tried to consistently get to my office a couple hours before work in the morning whenever I could, and stay late when I could, but NEVER EVER EVER at the expense of sleep, working out or eating well.

31, 12P/10V/9B

I took a Kaplan on site review course and supplemented my studying with TBR materials. For Bio and PS, I did tons and tons of practice problems. Additionally, I made an effort to take detailed notes and highlight in all my review books. I didn't do much practice for Verbal, besides a few passages out of the EK 101 book.

3) What materials you used for each section.

Kaplan/TBR

AAMC 3 -30 10/11/9
AAMC 9 - 33 12/11/10
AAMC 10 - 30 12/9/9
AAMC 11 - 32 11/11/10

Chemistry with a Philosophy Minor

Work diligently and stay calm throughout the process. Do as many practice problems and take as many practice AAMCs as you can. I did not feel my Kaplan test scores were representative (all were in the high 30s) so I would take those scores with a grain of salt. You are all smart and capable of scoring well on this exam. Confidence is key, walk into the test feeling like a champ because you know you've done all the prep work. Good luck!

4 months

12 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS, 37 total

PS: I have a solid background in gen chem, so I mostly focused on physics. Memorized all the formulas, did lots of practice questions. The key to this section for me was practice, practice, practice.
VR: On my first mock MCAT without any studying, I got a 7 on the VR. Then I bought EK and practiced a lot. I timed myself every time to get a feel of the pacing. I typically scored from 8-12 on EK. I think the key is to read actively, think about the main idea of each paragraph as you go along.
BS: I have a good background in ochem, molecular bio, and biochem. But I sucked at anatomy, reproductive/digestive/excretory systems. So I focused on content review. I have had a lot of upper level bio classes that focused on analyzing journal articles, so I didn't do a ton of practice.

Kaplan ochem, gen chem, and physics content review; TPR bio content review (goes into depth a little too much); EK everything

AAMC 3, 9-11

Biochem

It's so important to get comfortable with the test format. I suggest doing as many online practices as possible. I found the TPR online material to be very helpful. It really helped me become familiar with the online test format. But don't get upset if you score on the lower end, it's meant to be a lot harder than the real MCAT, especially the PS.
During the real test, if you think you did badly on one sections, don't let it affect you on the next one. Take a breath, forget everything, and remain calm.

6 months, ~2 hours a day.

PS=13 VR=13 BS=10 Composite=36 :D
Voided my first exam in September 2012 because I was nervous.

For PS, I did some pretty hardcore content review, focusing on conceptual understanding and developing my intuition. I used a Kaplan review book to overview the topics and used other resources for more in-depth work simultaneously. (TBR, Virtual Chemistry Textbook, Google, Wikipremed flashcards). I marked up my Kaplan books and kept a memory notebook with formulas and important bits of information related to conceptual understanding. I did timed practice sections and analyzed and reviewed my weak areas and filled in any conceptual holes. I think that TPR's Hyperlearning probably has the best PS passages I've seen. TBR is just not an accurate representation of the exam, IMO. Their techniques early in the physics book are good, though.

For VR, didn't study. Sorry you guys. I'm just good at verbal. No, seriously though, the best advice I can give for ANY section that you are not good in is to figure out what the testers are testing and to realize that the whole damn exam is basically a reading comprehension and critical thinking exam with some background knowledge necessary.

You need a well developed mindset and strategy for each section to lean back on. If the question is really hard in BS and PS, usually it's asking something basic, or something in the passage, for example. That's what I mean by strategy. For VR, those strategies are internal, and I can't really explain them. One that I did use was to make sure that the inferences and conjectures I was making from the passage weren't too imaginative. I told myself to ascertain the author's voice without making leaps that are too great.

For BS, didn't study as much as I should have! I literally studied Bio for maybe a day or two. Explains the low score. Organic just required a short refresher using Wikipremed flashcards. The Orgo on the MCAT is extremely basic. I know how to study for this section though. If I had had the time, I would have done a content review using Princeton Review's Bio book. Also, with this section, understand basic experimental/ research techniques and terminology THOROUGHLY. That was my biggest weakness. Then, I would have done timed practice sections and focused on developing a strategy. I think TPR Hyperlearning practice passages are the BEST out there for this section. Did not realize how good they were until after I took the exam. They're just the right length. If I were to retake and actually study for this section, I think I could make a 12 or 13.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
PS- Review: TBR, TPR hyperlearning, Wikipremed (order the flashcards!!), Virtual Chemistry Textbook Questions: TPR, Gold Standard, AAMC
Verbal- none except one AAMC practice section. AAMC 10, I believe? 12 on that section.
BS- Review: Wikipremed for OChem, TPR for Bio review Questions: TPR, Gold Standard, AAMC

I never took any full lengths this time around. I took section tests.
AAMC - I think all the AAMCs were easier than the real thing.
TPR hyperlearning passages (timed)
Gold Standard.

Scores were around 12 in PS VR and 11/10 in BS.

Public Health

• #1-- Work hard in your undergrad classes and try to actually develop an understanding of the material, rather than just trying to get an A. That means studying every day while you're taking these courses!
  • Don't get bogged down in content review, but make sure you still do it with sufficient vigor. About 4-5 weeks during the summer should do it. 3 or 4 months during the semester. Do passages during your content review too, though. Save most of your energy for about 3 weeks of taking practice passages and timed sections. This should be the part of your studying when you're studying full time, 8-10 SOLID hours of facebook-less distraction-less intensely focused studying. Even if they're divided into chunks.
  • Learn to enjoy studying for the MCAT, just like you might enjoy working out or doing puzzles. See it as an opportunity to learn those sciences that inform your understanding of the way the universe works. It's immensely satisfying.
  • Remember that this exam tests really basic knowledge, but is sophisticated in the way it tests your ability to apply this knowledge. It's like a Sudoku; for a sudoku, you just have to know how to identify numbers, but just because you can identify numbers, doesn't mean you can do a sudoku.
  • Use practice passages from several sources.
  • Be critical of yourself and your weak areas. Study like you mean it.
  • Take one or two practice exams. Any more is excessive.
  • Walk into the test center with a strategy and a mindset for approaching each section. Analyze and understand the way the questions are written, what they test, and how to determine answers and remind yourself of these during the exam, especially when you get stuck.
  • Visit the test center if you can, beforehand to scope out the presence of any terrifying lions.
  • Work on keeping yourself calm and confident as the exam approaches. Do not let yourself freak out or breakdown. It's counterproductive. If you haven't finished reviewing something or another, it's okay.
  • Don't study the day before. Just don't do it. Plan a day with friends if you have to do that to stop yourself from studying. The happiness and coolness of mind you gain from a day off is more valuable than studying and freaking out.
  • Stay calm during the exam even if there's a lion behind you that's about to tear your head off. Despite being extremely ill during my exam, I stayed calm.
  • Don't void your exam unless you are eaten by said lion (i.e. physically unable to complete the exam/have to walk out before it is finished.) Sick? Don't void it. I was too. Just stay calm. You don't want to jip yourself of a score when you've studied this hard.

I started studying June of 2012, took an exam on September 1st that I voided. (DONT EVER VOID AN EXAM! UNLESS YOU HAD TO PHYSICALLY LEAVE AND NOT COME BACK IN THE MIDDLE OF A SECTION!!!) Started studying again in January-ish. (Just doing a few questions a day). Started studying seriously around March. Studied March and April, maybe 2-3 hours a day. (Physics, Chemistry, and Organic review) Because of exams and things, I didn't have time to study for Bio. My exams were over first week of May. I studied for two weeks, 8 hours a day by taking practice sections in May as well as developing strategy.

Last edited:
PS=11 VR=9 BS=10 WS= P Composite=30 P

Note that I sat for the exam on the 1st of September 2012, when the writing section was still included in the exam.

-At the beginning, I read the course material in Kaplan
-Did couple of exercises when possible
-Then gave a 2 week bulk for all the aamc exams (doing and correcting the exam in the same day)
-Meanwhile, I worked on my weak points, searching online for all the concepts I did not really grab, and found that really helpful because that's what the MCAT is all about: understanding the concepts and the ability to apply them in a new "situation"
-Last week review of all the material, flashcards, notes... in addition to listening to all the exam cracker audio cds (really tiring but helpful)

-Mcat premier (Kaplan)
-Exam crackers
-Exam crackers (audio...really helpful for a last week review)
-Definitely used many of the tips posted here on SDN...really helpful

All of the Practice AAMCs
A very few exams from Kaplan.

Biology

If you can give like 30 minutes a week to study for the MCAT through the sophomore and junior years of your B.S (even if you still did not cover all the required material yet), I think it would be much better than squeezing all the information in a 2 months ruined summer.
Also, have a good break every week or so to prevent a burnout before the exam (that did not occur to me, but a main reason I did not score as I wished is that I got tired at the end of the 2 months...)

About 70 days only... recommend more definitely.

One last tip, the MCAT is just a test every medical student must sit for. For those who scored high (like 36+ and more), this shows how well they prepared for it and is the fruit of their own hard work (and definitely they'll have a bright future if they continued as such). However, for those who did not score well or at least as they wished, I would like to tell them that the MCAT is not the end of the world...there's much yet to come, too much information to grasp, and alot to experience... This doesn't mean that they won't be bright doctors one day, they just have to keep moving forward... correct their mistakes... and do better in other more important exams to come. :)

PS=12 VR=12 WS= N/A (on my test date they substituted an experimental section) BS=10 Composite= 34. Not so coincidentally, this is what I was averaging on my AAMC practice exams by the end.

I did NOT take a prep course, and I would venture that you don't need one if you're willing to set your own schedule and stick to it. Save your money and spend it on AAMC tests instead.

Basically, I gave myself a full semester to prepare for the test. I took the free diagnostic from AAMC a few months before I started studying at all just to get a feel for the test and to help me plan my study schedule. I spent 2 months in solid content review, 6 days a week for an hour and a half each day, alternating with PS MWF, BS TRS, and Sunday off.

About 2 months before my test date, I took my first practice exam. Every week after that, I upped my time to about 2 hours per day of studying. I would take a practice exam Saturday morning under test conditions, review my answers on Sunday, and spend M-F working on problem areas. This was by far the most useful way for me to study BS and PS. I scored a 10 on my verbal diagnostic, so I didn't study for that section at all beyond the practice exams and ended up with a 12.

Kaplan for content, supplemented with EK 1001 questions and AAMC practice exams in the last two months.

Solely AAMC practice exams. I cannot recommend these highly enough - I found the tests from Kaplan, TPR, etc. to be completely different from the actual exam.

Program of Liberal Studies (broad, interdisciplinary liberal arts approach with a focus on textual interpretation and comprehension) with a supplementary major in pre-med.

There's no substitute for doing well in your pre-requisites, and not just doing well, also understanding the material. I suspect this is why I did so well on PS in the end - I really tried to understood physics and chemistry during my courses, even if I wasn't an A student in either discipline. I also highly recommend practice exams from AAMC. They can't be beat for simulations of the test experience.

As for test day itself, trust your preparation and don't void unless something went horribly, horribly wrong during the exam. My administration seemed to have a particularly difficult PS section that freaked out a ton of people and led many of the testers at my center to void. Chances are that if you've been studying the right way and scoring well on your practice exams, you'll be fine.

4 months: 2 months content review, 2 more of AAMC practice exams.

1) Your individual scores and composite score:

PS=10 VR=11 BS=10 Composite=31

I roughly followed the SN2ed schedule, but I made some adjustments. First, I decided to do the first 1/3 of passages untimed. That was just because I sucked so bad and was so far removed from most of the material that it killed my confidence by trying them timed. Second, I decided not to use EK 1001. The questions all seemed way too conditional, convoluted, and unlike any other source of questions I had been seeing. They just pissed me off. Third, I did not do the Hat Trick section. I was just too burned out. Lastly, on the day of the week where you re-read everything, I'd often only skim the chapters, or I'd read them from a different book to get a different take on things (usually TPR at Barnes and Noble, so I wouldn't have to buy them).

In addition to the SN2ed schedule, I added about 6 passages per day (1 - 2 of each subject) from TPRH SW, especially during my testing month. I was also having such a hard time with some material that I purchased a month of Chad's videos. Loved them.

TBR for all subjects (but only skimmed the bio books)
EK Bio
TPRH Science Workbook (mostly my last month)
TPRH Verbal and EK 101 Verbal (I didn't complete either, but chose random passages from each)
Chad's videos (after I had read the corresponding TBR and EK)

I used all of the AAMC CBT exams, and a few R exams just to see some additional material and work on timing. I'd recommend the CBT exams before looking at the R exams.

Economics and Arabic

I found it super helpful to get out of the house to study. I ended up feeling pretty blue by being inside all day studying for months, so I began visiting Starbucks, local cafes, and bookstores to study. I'd put on music and study away over coffee. When I took breaks, I'd people watch or chat up some hotties near by. It really helped my mental health.

I'd also recommend chugging away at random passages from the Science Workbook or something similar, even on heavy review or testing days. It'll only take a few minutes, you will learn something, and it helps you with timing. By doing them in random order (I'd just keep track in a spreadsheet so I wouldn't do the same passage twice), you don't feel like you need to work through the entire book, which made things less stressful for me.

Work on your calculations. Rounding, multiplication, long division, percent estimations...all of that crap. I literally don't remember most of the times table, so getting back to doing basic math quickly was a huge help. I still struggled with timing on PS, but trust me that you'll end up wasting valuable time on simple stuff if you aren't good at it.

Watch Chad's videos. Fantastic instructor, and you can watch all of the videos on 2x speed. Do that, and look over his review sheets.

Be confident. On your FL test days, make sure to take the 10 minute breaks and just relax. Take some deep breaths, move around, have a snack.

Something like four months, up to eight hours a day. I got behind on the SN2ed schedule, bumped my test back a couple weeks, then had a registration error...which set me back another couple of weeks.

Wow so pumped to finally post in this illustrious thread! A year ago when I decided to take the MCAT I was reading this thread and wondered when I can finally be a part of it.

PS 14 - VR 11 - BS 14 Comp: 39

2) The study method used for each section:
I was away from school for 2 years, but I have a good grasp of gen chem and I self-studied physics for 1 year before I actually started the MCAT regime study. About a year before I took the MCAT I began with the TPR Hyperlearning course and followed their schedule. I completed all the course in 3 months before the MCAT test. Then I used Sn2ed's schedule for TBR and EK series. My weakness is VR as you can see, and I studied a lot for it. I completed the TPR and EK Verbal Reasoning and actually used the TPR again during the final month. I did make an effort to do the Hat Trick thing one month before the test, with slight variation. About 1 month before the test I printed the PS and BS topic off aamc website, cut it out by topic and used that to review. I did not use a lot of video, since most of them take a lot of time to watch.

PS: general physics textbook for self-study, TPR Physics + Science workbook (highly recommended), TBR Physics (highly recommended), EK 1001 (OK, good practice but do not do them overboard)
VR: EK 101 Passages, EK Verbal Reasoning, TPR Verbal Reasoning and TPR Verbal Workbook (All of these are very good. Highly recommended)
BS: TPR Bio (Excellent for first review, clear and in-depth explanation), TPR Bio Science workbook (A lot of passages for practice, although not very representative of true MCAT. Use this if you are using TPR Bio), TBR Bio (Only use the passages, DO NOT read their chapters), EK Bio 30' passages (OK, not that great), EK Bio (Good for 2nd review since it is light and not as heavy as TPR)
AAMC practice test: 3-11. Average AAMC pratice test score: 38. My score went up after the first 3 tests from 34 to 40. My highest is practice test 8 with 42.
Also, there are the "R" version of AAMC test, which the current pratice tests are a short versions of them. If you are running out of practice passages, use the extra passages in "R" versions. I only used extra passages from test 3 to 7 since I did not have enough time. I also did not use the self-evaluation packet from aamc.
I used mcat-review.org in conjunction with the Hat Trick to review during the final month.
Pre-med and Biology

First, read this forum and find out what are the methods that will work for you. Some people study better at night, others early morning. There are a lot of different ways people study so you need to find your way here. Second, it is very helpful if you have a study buddy, or in a group of people who take the test like you so you have that extra motivation for study. Some people use blog, others join the group forum here. If you are ~3 months away from the test, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you set as much time as possible for this. Set up a study schedule, and stick to it like hell. Also, do not get too zealous during the first few days and get burnt out quickly. Start slowly but steadily until it becomes a natural habit for you to study. I never took a prep course in my life but if you find yourself unable to discipline, then a $2000 investment in Kaplan or Princeton course will be needed. Make space between your study for break and schedule a day off every week. Also, make your study area clear of distraction: no TV, internet, and put your cell phone as far away as you can. Another thing: buy sweets and snacks and put them handy near your station, so you can always have that extra energy to push you through the day. It is very helpful if there is someone who can look after your meal and provide you with good nutrition. Otherwise, make an effort to eat more than you can since you are going to burn a lot of energy. If possible, have a bottle of water nearby to drink regularly. I cannot stress enough how good nutrition will keep you stay fresh and prevent you from burning out. A good way to think of the MCAT test is treating it like a 9 to 5 job. Be professional with yourself, study on time and work digilently. I don't think of MCAT as study, but as a job with responsibility. If you treat the MCAT well, it will treat you well in return.
Register MCAT early to save your spot. Arrive 1 day ahead at your testing center to confirm and go to testing center early. Be calm and confident. If not, push the test back until you are ready.
One last note, try to participate in the MCAT Q&A forum. I find it very helpful to go help others and actually learn a lot from them.

First off, I'm ecstatic to finally post here. I'm writing this in the hopes that other students like me who are silently stalking this page will find my advice useful and my path to medicine comforting.

Composite > 35 (May 30, 2013)

PS: BR front to back...I made sure that there wasn't one section I dreaded getting on test day. Sure I had favorites, but I didn't want to be shaky on any topic. I also did some problems from TPR Hyperlearing book, but probably only a handful for each PS topic. I did problems from Nova's Physics book on topics that were really difficult for me (electromagnetism, etc.).

VR: TPR Hyperlearning book passages for the first few months and then I switched to EK 101 and did full length verbal sections every other day about a month before my test. I've never done well in any verbal reasoning or reading comprehension section of any standardized test. I'm thrilled to have scored as high as I did.:D

BS: I used mostly TPR and some EK bio. I read TPR Bio book about 2 times cover to cover in the few weeks before my test. I didn't practice all that much with bio, but did read a ton and had classes leading up to the test that overlapped with the material. As for ochem, I read through TPR and BR and did a third of the passages for BR in all topics. At the end, I really only went over stereochemistry, a few reactions I thought may come up, naming and separation/purification techniques.

*As a disclaimer, I did take a TPR class that went from October-April. It met once a week for about 6 hours (not during our 3 week winter break, 1 week spring break, or holiday weekends). While the review of some topics was helpful, the best part of the class was that it got me thinking about the MCAT very early. There were lots of classes I skipped when I had an exam to study for...or when I flat out just didn't feel like it. I'd say I went to about 70% of the classes (all gen chem, all bio, less than half of the physics because I didn't like the teacher, and barely any verbal because I felt it was something I had to practice). I can't say for sure if taking this class helped me a lot, but I will say I wouldn't have done as well trying to study on my own...and that's my own experience with test prep. I received a 50% discount because of an internship I was apart of in undergrad.

PS: BR, TPR (less), Nova (a few physics sections)

VR: TPR Hyperlearning book, EK 101 (most helpful at the end)

BS: TPR, BR (less)

Took my first practice test 3/16/13, took my last 5/25/13. All AAMCs (except AAMC 3) were within a month of my test. I do not recommend this.

TPR 1 - 25 (8/8/9)
TPR 2 - 23 (8/6/9)
AAMC 3 - 30 (11/8/11)
AAMC 4 - 31 (11/9/11)
AAMC 5 - 31 (11/8/12)
AAMC 7 - 29 (11/8/10)
AAMC 8 - 30 (12/7/11)
AAMC 9 - 34 (12/10/12)
AAMC 10 - 35 (12/10/13)
TPR 3 (ONLY PS) - 8
AAMC 11 - 31 (11/8/12)
AAMC Average - 31.4 :confused:

Global and International Studies in undergrad (took med school prereqs)
Pre-Health Post-Bac program (current)

First of all, I didn't major in science. If you are looking at this thread and you're a non-traditional student, this post is basically for you. I'm in a post-bac program where I've taken classes including physiology, biochemistry, genetics, histology, cancer bio, etc. (all before my MCAT). Having said that, these classes helped but not as much as the resources I used to study or the time I put into studying. Don't think that just because you didn't major in bio, you can't rock this test. As you could probably tell, I tried to follow the famed SN2 schedule, but I was taking 3 classes, working part time in a lab, volunteering and trying to maintain normal social relationships with people. I was definitely a hermit during the month of May, but I by no means made the MCAT my priority for over all 5 months. I didn't have a background in science, so I really had to work hard in the science classes I took. The same goes for this test...I worked really hard, and studied a ton. As you can tell from my practice tests, I struggled for the first month or two and then all of a sudden, my scores peaked. You can conquer this test if you really put in the time to learning the material and then practice practice practice! As a full-time student AND non-traditional applicant, I hope this post helps someone in their prep for this beast of a test.

I'm not sure how I did it...but I do know that I worked really hard to earn my score. I think the test I took was the perfect storm for the topics I felt most comfortable with, but I also made sure I didn't have a topic I was nervous about.

The week before my test I went to movies, out to dinner with my friends and just did about everything I could to not think about the test. I did, however, look through some notes the night before just because I wouldn't have slept knowing I hadn't.

I started studying lightly in January (about 4-6 hours a week). I didn't take my first practice test until March. I basically took half of April off to focus on my finals, but a few days later I was studying 8-10 hours a day for the month of May.

Good luck to all those applying this cycle and taking an upcoming MCAT! Feel free to PM me with questions. I'd be happy to help. :thumbup:

Last edited:

PS 12, VR 10, BS 13 (May 30, 2013)

35 composite

PS: I took Physics 1 and 2 in the two semesters before my MCAT, so I was really fresh on that. Gen Chem review was pretty much reading content, then doing practice problems and understanding the mechanisms.

VR: Just doing FL equivalent number of passages under timed conditions.

BS: Very similar to PS studying. The majority of my undergrad classes were Bio, so most of that review came easily.

PS: TPR Cracking The MCAT

VR: Examkracker's 101 Verbal Passages

BS: TPR Cracking The MCAT

AAMC 3 (9/9/10) Before any content review
TPR 1 (9/9/10)
TPR 2 (9/9/10)
TPR 3 (8/7/7) Made me want to cry
TPR 4/Free (10/9/11)
AAMC 3 (12/11/12) Retook two days before my MCAT, didn't remember any specific questions or topics

Microbiology

Yes, this test is important, but make sure to not let it consume your life. I still had fun and planned out days to hang with friends, and this really helped prevent burnout, at least for me.

TPR tests are hard (especially 3!), so they won't help your confidence, but they will toughen you up. I didn't feel like giving AAMC any more money than I needed to, so I opted to just go with TPR FLs and AAMC 3, and I felt these were sufficient practice to get the feel of the test.

I started content review in January and did it throughout the semester. I had to study while taking classes full-time and working about 20 hours a week (and enjoying myself, :p). After classes finished and graduation in the middle of May, I finished content review after about another week, then did FL practice tests about every third day, with MCAT length verbal passages on the in between days. Rested the day before the real thing!

Total 33
BS: 10; VR: 13; PS; 10 (May 30, 2013)

Flashcards and practice tests/problems.

For bio, I usually scored between 10-12 and with little deviation. I upped my score from an 8 on my first test just through constant practice. That is always how I learned best.

My range for verbal was 12-13. My first test was a 10, and I improved it simply by taking a few section tests.

PS was my hardest section to improve, especially since we did not cover fluids or optics very well in my undergrad class (optics was touched on 4 weeks before the MCAT :scared:). My original practice score was a 6, but through memorization of forumlas and practice with them, I felt I was able to improve. My range was from a 9-12 with most at 10.

I used Kaplan On-demand and the AAMC services provided free through Kaplan. The AAMC self-assessment tests were awesome. I found the Kaplan Qbank and practice tests to be helpful. Their flashcards were great too. I did not use their classes after the first few...though they may have helped improve my science scores. :rolleyes:
Going back and from what I've read on these boards, I would probably have chosen TPR to help improve my science scores overall.

Kaplan 1-5 (I cannot remember if I took 6)
AAMCA 3, 8-11 and 4,5, and 6 used for verbal reasoning.

I don't have access to the breakdowns, but my scores ranged from 29-37 with an average of 33.5.

History and Biology

Prioritize the test.

That semester I had decided to take only 14 hours and treat the MCAT as another class. That never happened. The classes I took turned out to be some of the most time intensive of my college career. I freaked out in February/March and was so nervous that I did not allow myself to properly study.I just could not bring myself to fully commit to the test that would "decide my future". April and May were extraordinarily busy and I was lucky to get in 2 hours per day. I was in-season for my sport all that semester, but I still could have done more. I am not disappointed in my score, but I know I could have done better.

In theory: a few hours a a day for 4.5 months with a few weeks before the test to study in-depth
In practice: Full-time the three weeks before the test. :smuggrin:

Since I know I will be procrastinating, I thought I would try and be a little helpful at the same time:oops:

Total 37
BS: 12; VR: 12; PS; 13 (May 30, 2013)

PS: Content Review with Examkrackers and online, things I was not really sure of, I would look up for further clarification.
VR: Can't help too much here, my strategy probably wasn't a good one in hindsight, but it worked for me. I just did the AAMC practice sections, and while taking it, I would try and understand what the author is supporting and what they are not, more of a big picture thing rather than getting really specific.
BS: Also used Examkrackers for this, but I had just taken Physio the semester before I took it, so I concentrated more on the microbio/genetics, and did the same thing as PS, if I didnt really understand something, I would look online until I was somewhat comfortable enough to think that if I got a passage on it, I could have a decent attempt to reason it out.

I used the AAMC Practice tests(the biggest help by far for me), and Examkrackers. A little TBR, but I started studying late, so didnt have time to go through all those dense books lol.

I used AAMC 4,5,7-11. Didn't do 3 because I ran out of time, and I had heard it wasnt as representative. I averaged around a 33 on the tests, ranging from a 31-37. I was not one of the people who stuck to +/- 2 to their average, so don't be discouraged that you cannot get the score you want based on your avg. Furthermore, the way I approached taking them is that I did one every other day up until 2 days before my real one. The same day I took it I would go over my mistakes.

Biomedical sciences

Study Smart To me, this was the biggest thing. I may not have studied as long as others, though that is more due to me having other obligations/procrastinating instead of a desire to study less, but I feel like when I did start, I studied smartly. I'm not trying to bring anyone down who dedicated a lot of time to this monster of a test, but instead am trying to tell people that it is still possible to do relatively well even if you cannot dedicate a lot of time to it. Make sure that when going over the tests, you really understand why something is wrong. Especially if you are getting the same types of questions wrong on each test, figure out whether it is a concept issue or a question type issue, and then try your hardest to fix it. I know its definitely sometimes easier to just be like that probably won't be on the test, and I for sure did that a few times, but its worth it to put for the effort into eliminating that mistake. Furthermore, try and make sure you have a solid understanding of every concept; it does not have to be by any means great, but if you have a solid understanding you will have a good chance at every passage. Some of the passages may seem crazy and make you want to go:bang:, but if you can break it down to simpler parts I believe it can help. Finally, I would say relax a little sometimes. At the end of the day, this is nothing more than a test. It is an important one, but still a test nonetheless. In 3 years, is anyone going to even care what your mcat is? No, they will only care about you being in medical school, and instead will be freaking out about Step :p. Just make sure to sometimes take time out of your studyig if you need it and to spend time with family and friends. You need to recharge sometimes, because you want to be peaking for the test, not limping in after becoming burnt out

Around 4 weeks, finals went until April 28th or so, so took off a few days before starting. Per day, didnt have a set amount of hours studied, I tried finishing most of the content review within the first 2 weeks, but fell behind. I would just go over certain things I wasn't caught up on in the off days between tests, in addition to going over things I messed up on the test.

In closing, I just want to let you guys know, that anyone can do well on this test, and to remember that that is all it is, a test. Do not let it control you or your life. I wish everyone good luck in the upcoming cycle, and hope that your MCAT gets you into the school of your dreams:D

I understand that this is a 30+ MCAT study habit thread, but it is the most popular and this direly needs attention. I hope everyone doesn't swarm at me like sharks saying this isnt the correct thread. Well, I wouldnt want to have a terminal illness and die right before a cure was formulated. If you dont get the symbolism of that statement then dont bother, or you havent studied Verbal enough. Anyways Im not asking for this to take a turn in the thread, but alot of commotion has been started about recently within the past year or so that the BS section has "drastically" changed, so if anyone can maybe incorporate their experience with recent BS section, what to do to prepare or save yourself, or how it changed and what to look for? That would be just great.

PS 11, V 12, BS 12
Composite: 35Q

I took the Kaplan course in Oct 2012 to stay on-track and with the idea of forming a study group for moral support. Totaaally a bad idea for me. I was taking the course while working full-time doing research after I graduated, so by the time I got to class I was exhausted and falling asleep. I only had time to read the chapters before each class with no quizzes, so nothing got reinforced or practiced. Plus it was incredibly intimidating to be in a class with people who were doing nothing else except studying all day everyday, so of course they were always on top of their game and blurting out answers which just killed the learning experience and squashed my self-esteem. Tried to coordinate a study group outside of class and with everyone being scattered about in the city it was hard to arrange a consistent time and date for all of us to meet. We were all at different stages of reviewing too, so it was just unhelpful.

By the end of the class in Dec 2012, I had like a 20% working understanding of the PS and BS concepts. I was not able to get a seat on my original date Jan 2013, so I signed up for Mar 2013.

From Jan 2013 to Mar 2013, I was hell-bent on getting my content review done and borrowed my friend's TBR set supplemented with the EK1001s. I liked the logical organization and formatting of TBR a lot better, but I found that it sometimes went way too in-depth on certain concepts that appeared maybe 5-10% of the time. I tried to take notes as I have a tendency to start skimming and zoning out as I read, but that slowed me down tremendously. Since I majored in Biology, I found the EK Biology review a lot faster to get through since it focused on major concepts in less detail for a faster overview of each subject.

Midway through, my scores were still not improving so I pushed back my test date to May and amped up the quizzes.

Pacing/timing was a huge issue for me the first few months as I was always rushing and randomly picking answers towards the end of my PS sections. I stopped jumping around looking for passages and concepts that I liked/were comfortable with and just went in order. I tried to stop agonizing over questions that ate up a lot of time and tried not to go back to any passages in between. I rarely had time leftover to look over my answers and check my work, but I got to the point where I wasn't rushed for time and felt fairly confident with my answers. Often times, especially for the BS sections I noticed that I did not have to read the passages and could just skim to pick out the details I needed to answer the question.

I could work efficiently for max 3-4 hours a day after work, so I tried to do a little bit of each subject everyday under timed conditions. 20 min of Verbal to warm-up, 1 hr of BS Questions/Passages + 30 min Checking Answers/Review, and 1 hr of PS Questions/Passages + 30 min Checking Answers/Review. Saturdays were FL days with Sunday as FL Review days. I tried to work in a day off, but quickly realized that even 2-3 days away from anything MCAT caused a dip in my scores. So I opted for "light days" instead with some flashcards and shorter quizzes.

I rarely worked on OChem and just made sure I got the major concepts down (periodic trends, nucleophilicity, SN1 vs. SN2, E1 vs. E2, peak ranges for the bonds and graphs). Just thinking about possible mechanisms and arrow pushing got me through.

I looved the Kaplan online resources and burned through a lot of questions in QBank, Subject Tests and Chapter Quizzes. I occasionally ripped apart the old TBR tests (6-10) and TPR books for more questions.

For every question I got wrong, I copied the question into my "wrong book" with detailed notes on the concepts I did not understand and made a note of why I got it wrong. Over time, I tracked my mistakes and started to notice a trend that for a lot of the questions I had simply misread the questions or answers or did not know the specific detail in question. For the specific detail questions, I started moving those questions over to flash cards to get those out of the way. For misreading, I slowed down and tested out new strategies to use my time more efficiently - skimming, reading questions first, etc. Passage Mapping never worked for me and slowed me down. I usually just skimmed fast enough to get a general sense of what the Passage was asking and had a mental map in my head with highlighted portions as road signs.

For Verbal, I used mainly the Kaplan QBank and tried to do 2-3 passages each day for 20 minutes before I started working on the other sections. After I used all those questions up, I tried the EK 101 Verbal Passages but hated the passages and the really detailed questions so I stopped using that. My mentor recommended practicing off SAT, GRE, and LSAT Verbal Passages as the formatting and questions are very similar to the MCAT. Never quite got around to those, but they are probably very helpful in getting started and getting used to reading timed passages.

Kaplan set
TBR
EK1001 set
EK101 Verbal

I actually did all the Kaplan tests 1-11 and AAMC3-11. Unfortunately Kaplan wiped all my scores after my course expired and I had to get moved to the Kaplan On Demand to still access to the online resources.

From what I remember, I started out with a 27 on my Kaplan Diag and stayed in the 9-11 range for all three subjects for the longest time. Took me like 3-4 months to finally climb into the 30s range and never scored higher than a 32 on any of my practice tests before going in to the real thing.

In fact my last AAMCs were:
AAMC 10 PS10/V10/BS11 - 31Q (Apr29)
AAMC 11 PS10/V10/BS10 - 30Q (May7)

Before those, I remember completely flipping out and panicking because I had gotten 28/29s on the Kaplan Test 10 and 11 early April.

I was completely burnt out by the time May rolled around and just prayed that I would scrape by with a 32 so I could still apply this cycle.

I actually had three ongoing back-up plans and list of schools to apply to while I waited for my scores to come out in June: <32 (30% chance) retake and apply next year, 32-33 (60% chance) apply and pack with mid to low tier schools, and 35+ (10% chance) add in a few top-tiers.

Totally did not expect a 35 and just incredibly thankful that I never have to retake the wretched test ever again.

Biology

If I were to re-do this experience again (not that I ever would but hypothetically speaking), I would have not taken the Kaplan Course and created my own schedule that worked around my full-time job and volunteering. My content review should have been limited to 2-3 months at most with limited reading and more problems based. Definitely should not have tried taking detailed notes but should have skimmed the reading and focused more on the questions at the end. I feel like I only studied "correctly" the last 2 months or so before the actual exam.

Moral support is crucial to survival. If you can find people to study with, it will just make you feel a lot better. Just having my boyfriend "babysit" me at the library and coffee-shops to keep me company and on-task was incredibly motivating.

For me, finding a place where I could study was important. I always associated home with relaxing, so whenever I went home to study it was never productive. I stuck to going to the library straight after work to study. It was really sad to be packing breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday before I left the house, but it helped to end the procrastination and temptations to waste time finding food and eating out.

Don't be afraid to push back your test date and reschedule multiple times if necessary. I was really set on applying this cycle and was super ambitious in aiming for January. My March test center was actually in Colorado (I live in California) and I was not prepared by then so I pushed it back to May and got a seat in the Bay Area.

Last but not least, I wish I had taken the exam while I was still in school where I had easy access to the dining halls, 24 hour libraries, and tutors.

Took all my premed reqs in my freshman and sophomore year so had forgotten pretty much everything. All in all, I was studying for approx 7 months or so. 3-4 months on content review and the next 2-3 months on pure quizzing and testing.

34 PS-12 VR-10 BS-12

I'm more of a non-traditional pre-med student and had been 2-3 years out from my physics, A and P, o chem, and gen chem when I decided to prepare for the mcat.

I followed sn2ed's schedule for content review. Then took some practice tests and decided to delay for a month and that's when I modified my schedule and added the aamc self assessments during the extra month and a half I had to study. I also re-did some of the BR chapters from physics that I scored lowest in.

PS: BR helps build math skills that are crucial for this section. I also had equation sheets for gen chem and physics that I made after my content review that I would try to memorize and write down on scratch paper at least once a week. These sheets also contained basic ideas that I wanted to commit to memory (ie periodic trends, solubility rules, ect.). I realize the mcat is not a test of memorizing random facts but memorizing a lot of equations made me feel more comfortable.

VR: This section was very annoying. I hated EK verbal. Yes, I know many of you like it but I found many of their questions too tricky and this in turn ended up hurting my confidence. Overall, using aamc practice materials for verbal helped me improve. Also when I decided to delay a month and I was running out of materials, I started reading the Economist and New Yorker and The Atlantic each morning before studying and I think this helped improve my reading speed and comprehension. I started each passage by repeating "why, question, answer, why." Why- understand why the author wrote the passage. Question- read each question CAREFULLY. Answer- read each answer CAREFULLY. Why- tell yourself why you're picking your answer to eliminate careless mistakes or tell yourself why other answers are wrong (ie they are too extreme).

BS- Re-read old physiology notes in addition to s2ned's schedule. After reading this forum I also learned and realized that BS requires more VR skills and I implemented why, question, answer, why for the BS section as well.

PS: BR and EK 1001 (although I found EK 1001 to be not too useful). Youtube videos. Kahn academy for physics was very helpful! AAMC self assessment too.

VR: EK 101 and TPR Hyperlearning. AAMC self assessment.

BS: s2ned's materials again and the aamc self assessment. Yes the BR bio passages are a little ridiculous but I still did them just to get practice doing difficult passages.

I also had EK audio osmosis that I listened to while I jogged, walked my dog, or drove in the car during the last month.

First of all for EK 101 verbal I was scoring 7-9. For TPR verbal I was 9-11.

aamc 3: 30 (12/7/11)
aamc 4: 28 (10, 7, 11)
After these first two tests I was pretty upset with my VR. But I decided to do one more before changing my mind for my test date.
aamc 5: 31 (11/10/11)
This test I did better and was much more relaxed and not burnt out for. But I still decided to delay my test for about a month and a half since my goal was a 35.

Before going back to practice tests I re-did some BR physics chapters and did the aamc self assessment. Then finished the other tests before the real deal. I did two a week: one monday and one thursday, then the week of the exam I took aamc 11 on monday and the real test on thursday.

aamc 7: 31 (11/9/11)
aamc 8: 34 (12/10/12)
aamc 9: 35 (11/11/13)
aamc 10: 33 (11/9/13)
aamc11: 34 (11/11/12)

Biology and English Literature.

Even though my goal was a 35, I am still very happy with a 34 and the fact that I was able to improve verbal. I was an English major too and was very discouraged with my verbal scores early on but I learned that I needed to increase my reading speed and I think just reading articles online and doing aamc passages only for verbal really helped. Also when I ran out of verbal material during the last month, I decided to do a passage a day from the VR sections of aamc 3,4, and 5. I found that to be helpful as well.

I also would use sdn a lot. I read the mcat 30+ thread and wrote down ideas that I found useful. I also used the search function a lot to look up questions that confused me.

Overall, if you are feeling burnt out or not ready then delay. It's not the end of the world and it will be worth it if you have a target score in mind.

4 and a half months. I also took 2 weeks off during that time: one week after deciding to delay and I was feeling burnt out, and another week when I was moving back home from school and got sick. I was not taking classes or working. I was volunteering in a lab and at a hospital for about 15 hours a week.
If you a non-traditional who's far out from most of your pre-reqs then I would suggest devoting adequate time to studying for this.

PS=12 VR=10 BS=15 Composite=37

PS&BS: Reviewed all of the material. I took summary notes, writing down all the main points, definitions and formulas, from the books I used, put them all into a binder, and made sure I knew everything I possibly could about the 4 core subjects. After I had gone over the core 4 subject books from Kaplan (doing the practice problems at the end of each chapter once), I ditched the books and went over that binder all the time until I had everything memorized.
VR: None. I didn't study at all for VR. Wonder what my score could have been. =/

Kaplan. I tried TBR and TPR, but they were very convoluted, the math was ridiculously harder than it needed to be, and it was tiny print crammed onto a page. It would've broken me. Kaplan was colorful, more spaced out, and easier to read in general. I LOVED the Kaplan review books.

I took AAMC 3 two days before the test just to get a feel of the format and timing of the exam. I got a 30 and kind of panicked myself, but looking back I think it was incredibly valuable to have taken that exam and get into the "MCAT state of mind" in what they were looking for for answers.

Evolutionary Biology and Microbiology.

Honestly, I barely "practiced" at all. I did the practice problems at the end of each section, and I don't think those really helped. One practice test two days before and it was 7 points lower than my actual score. I just made SURE I knew EVERYTHING about ochem, genchem, physics, and bio. I made sure I had all the equations, all the principles, EVERYTHING committed entirely to memory, and trusted myself to apply that information on test day. I tried delving into a huge book of practice problems from TBR, and let me tell you, those questions are nothing like what's on the MCAT. I don't think I did a single bit of math that wasn't power of 10 on the actual exam. No long division, no multiplication... honestly, know your stuff. Make sure you know everything, you'll put it together on test day. I know this isn't the "traditional" approach, but it worked for me and I think it'll work for others who don't study in traditional manners.

Also, the day before the exam I attempted to pour over my binder all day. My boyfriend forcibly pried the binder out of my hands, took me to dinner, laid around and watched TV with me, etc. etc. Looking back, I'm really grateful. Definitely take a day or two to recharge before going into the exam. I was so burnt out and just wanted it to be over, the 24 hours of nothing beforehand definitely rejuvenated me.

2.5 months (10 weeks), 3 hours a day on average. Sometimes took a weekend off, sometimes studied 8 hours a day instead of 3. I didn't have a schedule. I just made sure I got through the books in those few months, and then all of my remaining time was spent pouring over the binder of notes I'd taken from those books.

PS 14, V 12, BS 12
Composite: 38

At first, I tried to read every chapter and do the homework assigned by TPR, but couldn't keep that pace up with school (TPR assigns a lot of work), so I lagged behind, but finished my own personal content review all the way up until the week before the exam.

When I reviewed any content, I would read the chapters, making sure I could work the examples in the chapter, and then I would work the passages at the end of the chapter either that day or the next. I tried to do no more than 2 subjects a day.

I worked TONS of passages. I probably worked through 70-80% of that science workbook. I also did a lot of the freestanding questions and passages from the online question bank.

For pacing, no matter what section, I pushed myself from spending anywhere from 15-20 min per passage to 1 min/question. That involved learning to use scientific notation for everything and learning to work faster in general. Working on verbal almost every day helped me in every section. In verbal, I tried to stick to the 1 min/question, but after the timer went off, I usually made a mental note that I should be done and worked a little quicker. For instance, a 5 question passage was harder to complete in 5 min than a 7 question passage in 7 since both passages take me about 3 min to read. On the real thing, I answered the last question on the verbal section with about 30 seconds to spare.

I probably didn't ever spend more than 3 hours a day (outside of the 2.5 hours of classroom time) studying for the MCAT until after my finals were over in May. At this point I focused on AAMC mostly, and my studying ranged anywhere from 4-8 hours/day, and I would do that by working for 1.5 hrs, and then taking a 1 hr break repeatedly throughout the day. So usually, I would get up about 9, study from 10 to 11:30, eat lunch for an hour, study another 1.5, go home and relax for an hour or 2, study again, relax again, and then finish off with 3 or 4 verbal passages every night.

I really liked TPR for the PS section. I retook the TPR 1, 2, and 3 PS sections in one day for more practice and to see what I was still missing. I used the AAMC BS Diagnostic to help with Bio (worth the time, and included in your TPR resources). And the BS seems to be very experimental, so there are plenty of those passages in the TPR materials.

TPR Classroom Course w/ the online question bank and passages.
TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook
TPR Verbal Workbook
TPR for each subject section (Physics, Gen Chem, Bio, Orgo, Verbal)

In order PS-VR-BS:
AAMC 10 = 27 (8-9-10) **
AAMC 11 = 30 (10-9-11) **
TPR 1 = 25 (7-9-9)
TPR 2 (8-6-9)
TPR 3 (10-9-10)
**I didn't look at the solutions since I wanted to save the exams for use again before the real thing.

AAMC 5 = 36 (12-13-11)
AAMC 7 = 32 (13-9-10)
AAMC 8 = 34 (12-10-12)
AAMC 9 = 36 (13-11-12)
AAMC Biology Diagnostic
AAMC 10 = 36 (10-11-13)
AAMC 11 = 39 (14-11-14)

Finance Non-trad, graduated in 2008, started a fresh postbac in 2011.

The content on the test actually isn't that hard. The test is hard because you have be fast and accurate. The way you do well on the MCAT is by learning how to work through the test. You do this by working passages, free-standing questions, and practice MCATs. Content memorization is great, but that won't get you very far without any ability to apply the content on the test. Think of the exam as more of a reasoning exam than a science exam.

*I took all of my practice MCATs at my exam time under simulated conditions either at the library or at home when no one was there. I also ate half of a granola bar package during each break, and I used all 10 minutes of each break to drink water and use the bathroom, even on the real thing. The granola bar really seemed to help my energy.

***I also felt like the TPR Verbal practice was nothing like the real MCAT, and that AAMC materials are definitely best to use. I think the AAMC verbal Diagnostic would be worth PRINTING out and using as practice material as opposed to strictly using the diagnostic for its diagnostic purpose. A mix of TPR and Examkrackers would probably be a good idea for a more rounded preparation since TPR seems to be very "find it in the passage" focused and EK is more feel based from what I hear.

I attended a Princeton Review course from Jan 21 to Apr 11, and pushed back my Apr 27 MCAT date to May 30. Was taking Orgo II + Lab, and Stats during that spring semester. Took the MCAT on May 30. My studying from May 12 to 28 was intense compared to during the spring semester.

I am so stoked to be able to post here! I've busted my butt studying for this test since 2011 and sacrificed a lot of fun times because of it. But you know what? It was ALL WORTH IT!

August 2011 (Round 1): I ultimately got a refund because I mostly did content review and only took two practice exams &#8211; only one of them being an AAMC exam.
August 2012 (Round 2): PS=10 VR=3 WS=K BS=10 Composite=23K
June 2013 (Round 3): PS=10 VR=10 BS=10 Composite=30

Round 1:

PS and BS -
For the first half of that summer, I used the Examkrackers content review books. After discovering SDN, I realized I needed more questions/passages, so I purchased TBR and some EK1001 books. After going through TBR, I realized that my content review was not thorough enough, so I ended up just using all my summer doing content review with TBR (mostly TBR Physics and Gen Chem because the Bio and Organic was TOO MUCH for me to comprehend at the time).
I also wrote notes in a spiral notebook. They were super detailed, and I never reviewed them, but it kept me engaged while studying.

VR &#8211;
I used EK101 and did all the practice tests.

Round 2:

PS and BS &#8211;
I mainly stuck it out with TBR, sometimes spicing it up with TPRH SW. I really tried to do good content review and WAY MORE passages this time.
Post-game analysis was a part of my strategy this time. I would write the questions that I missed on one side of a note card, and on the other side, I would write an explanation as to why 3 of the choices were wrong and 1 was correct. It was a lot of work, and I honestly didn't review them consistently but it kept me engaged so I don't feel bad about it.

VR &#8211;
I had to reuse my EK101 practice tests because the TPRH VW was EXTREMELY hard for me to get ahold of.

Round 3:

PS and BS-
This time I didn't do any content review since the material was still fresh on my mind from the previous round's prep. Also, I was taking some upper division bio courses which helped sink in other concepts. I stuck with TPRH SW and just reviewed their explanations. If I wanted a more thorough explanation, I would search online. I compiled all my findings from the book explanations and Internet in Microsoft Word. Lastly, a buddy of mine lent his Kaplan prep course material. I really only used the little quicksheet they gave. It was really concise and one of the best resources I used.

VR-
I finally was able to purchase the TPRH VW, so I used it since I was way too familiar with EK101's passages.

I have tried almost every source that has been highly rated on SDN. Some friends gave me books they didn't want, which I am EXTREMELY grateful for!

Of the ones I've used, I'd say TBR is hands down the BEST for content review and passages for physics, gen chem, and organic. Their bio is CRAZY detailed, and I do NOT recommend it simply because it can be overwhelming. Also, TBR Bio passages and questions do not reflect the AAMC MCAT style of writing. EK Bio content review is much much better. Also, I liked EK Audio Osmosis for the sciences a lot. It was engaging and helped solidify many concepts for me.
TPRH SW had some really good physics, gen chem., and bio passages. Some were hard, and others were right on the money.

Regarding VR, the AAMC practice tests are THE BEST practice you can have. My little spiel on my verbal strategy is in section 6 by the way.
TPRH VW style of writing is ALMOST the same as the AAMC, but they write their questions in the same style for a lot of passages. This might condition you to expect a generic wording on the real MCAT, which could be bad. Nonetheless, I recommend TPRH VW as extra practice.
EK101 Verbal&#8230;hmm&#8230;lol. Well, I used EK101 the first two rounds. This was during the time that I honestly hadn't figured out what verbal was all about, so my impression was that the book sucked haha. Anyway, I'd say buy it for extra practice, but expect the subjects of their passages to be repetitive and sometimes too easy of a read. Their questions are also crazy brain teasers; I don't want to say that they aren't good questions because again, I used this book when I sucked at verbal.

Round 1: AAMC 3, the FL that came with the EK practice exam, and a paper FL at the Kaplan center.

Round 2: AAMC 7 &#8211; 11 as FLs; AAMC 3-5 for individual practice passages; TBR CBT 1-5 (even though I purchased all 7); TPR Demo Test.

I used AAMC 3-5 for individual practice passages. THIS WAS A MISTAKE! The MCAT is about ENDURANCE UNDER TIMED CONDITIONS. ALWAYS take them as FLs!!!!!!!!

AAMC FL Average: 28

Of the TBR CBTs that I took, the PS was good, VR was awful (I omitted this section), and BS was so-so. Like I said earlier, TBR Bio passages can be really detailed, and the questions are almost like the ones you'd see in a college course (way too detailed for a standardized test).

Round 3: All the AAMCs; the AAMC MCAT Self-Assessment Package; some random Kaplan practice material from a friend.

Because I had taken all the AAMCs previously, I knew my scores would be inflated. I purchased the AAMC MCAT Self-Assessment for each science subject and verbal and tried to divide them into thirds since there were so many questions and passages.

AAMC FL Average (retakes): 31

I only used the random Kaplan stuff for the sciences. The PS had too many similar passages and types of calculations, but it helped drill scientific notation in my brain. The BS was okay; I really just wanted to use their BS for passages with crazy graphs and tables. That's how AAMC 11 was (which I didn't do too hot on during Round 2 lol) so I wanted to prepare for it.

Biomedical Engineering

YOUR MIND MUST BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE!
My first two rounds of prep consisted of TOO MUCH worrying! All throughout Round 1, my mind was divided between thinking about how my life sucked without my ex (when time traveling is invented, I'm going to go back to that summer to punch myself in the face for that haha) and how I just couldn't understand the verbal. During Round 2, I was WAY TOO CONCERNED with little details when prepping that I missed the overall concepts. This was really true for the sciences. Also, I had built up this very convoluted impression of the verbal, which led to my verbalphobia (Just look at my past posts). Truthfully, my whole impression of the MCAT was overcomplicated, a ramification of being a neurotic individual.

During Round 3, I finally realized that THIS IS A STANDARDIZED TEST!!!!! You do NOT have to be a PhD in the sciences to get a 10+! During prep, your post-game analysis as to why something is correct/incorrect should NOT be paragraphs long of explanations. You need to be able to sum up the concept in one sentence. The simpler your explanation, the BETTER! Also, I spent close to no time on SDN because it was a major distractor during Rounds 1 and 2.

THE VERBAL IS DOABLE!
A few people have PMed me about my verbal strategy since I got my score back the other day. I am flattered and know that what works for me might not work for anyone else. Nonetheless, here is what I told them:

I tried every strategy that I read on SDN (EK, Mapping, etc.). Ultimately, I came up with my own style for taking the AAMC practice exams and actual MCAT.
When I took the test last August, I just read through the passage using the cursor to guide my reading. I read the passages pretty quickly (about 3 minutes) but NOTHING stuck when I came to the questions.

The month before my exam this last time, I tried a completely different strategy: using the highlighting function. I didn't just use it to highlight "key" words, which a lot of people do. What I did was I highlighted blocks of words in EACH line as I read. For some reason, the act of clicking the mouse while going through line for line helped the material stick to my head. I wasn't concentrating on clicking, however, but UNDERSTANDING concepts and tone.

Also, to keep me engaged, I pretended like I was giving a presentation to a class. I naturally speak with my hands, so as I read/highlighted with my right hand, I would gesture with my left while mouthing the words. When I say "gesture", I wasn't all over the place - they probably would've kicked me out of the test center for being disruptive! I kind of just moved my forearm back and forth in a pecking motion (kind of like politicians). It gave me a rhythm.

I always finished reading within 3-4 minutes, but I REMEMBERED ALMOST EVERYTHING and REALLY REALLY understood the TONE of the author.

HAVE FAITH!
Whether you are a religious/spiritual person or not, you NEED TO BELIEVE in something that keeps your mind right and your head up during the prepping process and the real MCAT!

I'm not talking about wishful thinking but KNOWING that you have the capacity to do this test!

After I got my 23 back in August 2012, I was very distraught. At that point, I felt hopeless. I felt like I wasted two years of my life and that although I was a pretty good student, my dreams would never materialize. I knew a lot of people who got pretty good scores, and I wondered, "Why can't that be me?"

I personally prayed to get out of that prison in my mind. I asked for people I knew to pray for me, as well as St. Joseph of Cupertino.

After both my actual MCATs, I left the test center thinking "What the heck was that?!?!". The first time, I really thought I scored 6's in each section. It turned out that I got a 10 in both the science sections! The second time, I didn't take the test as I had practiced with the AAMCs, didn't time my science sections well and felt rushed, and felt like I beasted the verbal. I scored 10's in each section! I am SO GLAD that I didn't void this last take haha

I've always been an anxious person while taking standardized tests (this WILL change before I get to med school). During my last sitting of the MCAT, there were times that my mind would wander back into the negative prison, but I kept pushing. I kept reminding myself to trust my prep and to trust God. I truly believe that God was guiding me that day, especially when my adrenaline was pumping and I had no time to rationalize.

Round 1 prep lasted from May 2011 to August 2011. After I got my refund, I tried to read more of TBR Bio, but it really burnt me out. At this point, my biological sciences background was not MCAT worthy, so I would also count taking a Bioorganic Chemistry course the following spring as prep.

Round 2 prep lasted from May 2012 to August 2012. That fall semester, I also took Cell Biology and Biochemistry I which gave me a better foundation in the BS as well.

Round 3 prep started January 2013-June 2013. During the spring semester, I took Genetics and Biochemistry II.

LAST THOUGHTS:

Looking back, I was too much of a worrier and not enough of a warrior during my earlier rounds of MCAT prep (and actually throughout all of undergrad). The people who seem to do the best on standardized tests are the most relaxed. So please please please RELAX!
Also, you MUST come up with your own rhythm and strategy to attack studying and taking FLs! Do this EARLY on: designate a timeframe, place, and pick a study method and DO NOT SWITCH!!!!

In the end, it all comes down to the AAMC FLs (and AAMC MCAT Self-Assessment Package). Your stats for the TBR, TPRH, and Kaplan material may be all over the place, like mine (I think I averaged 60% on most of those passages). DON'T LET THAT KEEP YOU DOWN! You're only using that practice material to LEARN to CONQUER YOURSELF and to BREAK TENDENCIES. The way you handle the AAMC material is how you will handle the real thing.

Finally, the verbal, my nemesis, was actually not that bad at all. Like the rest of the test, it is a section that tests HOW YOU APPLY CONCEPTS. The only difference is that they may introduce to you concepts that you have never heard before in a 600 word passage. Do NOT listen to the NEGATIVE people on SDN concerning verbal! Do not get in the mindset that it is a waste of time! Just focus on defeating it with your OWN strategy!

Good luck to everyone and remember that you CAN do it!

Last edited:
Well I've been pretty outspoken about how arbitrary the verbal can be. In my practice tests I scored between 10-13 on my practice tests, with 11 and 12 being by far the most common. As I went from test to test, there was really nothing systematic that I could derive from the problems I missed, often the logic required to determine one answer was right in a particular passage was contradictory to the logic they assumed you would use on other passages. For example, what level of outside knowledge is realistic to assume in answering a question, and how much is "bringing outside information" that's not specifically stated in the text. I consider myself a fairly reasonable, logical individual and I've been frustrated by what appears to be their attempt to predict (assume) what the typical reader likely knows about a topic and what a reader would not know.

That was a long complaining way of saying, I don't know how to improve it. I stopped practicing EK101 because I didn't feel I was getting better and they also felt pretty different from the AAMC FL verbals. I thought doing the verbals for the AAMC FL were the best preparation, though as I said, my score bounced around from test to test (whereas my bio and PS were pretty consistent). I think something that I would go back and improve is honing my reading pace and working out how fast I want to read a passage given my preference for going back to the passage to answer questions or thinking long on the questions I struggled with. I consider myself an average or below average reader as far as reading speed goes so maybe others don't have the same problem. I pretty much never finished the verbal with more than 1 minute left, and a couple of my tests I had to rush at the end to squeeze by.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think the verbal section is a flawed section of the test. It's not that it's all together useless, but because it's so sensitive to errors (one or two questions dropping you a point), the need for the test to make sure that its own ambiguity isn't causing points to be missed rather than lack of comprehension on the reader's part is paramount! So many times I understand the passage and even the question quite clearly, but multiple, logical approaches are applicable to selecting the correct answer and which is "most" appropriate is more an issue of taste, experience, and perhaps personality than logical rigor.
I've read this post several times, but it's worth quoting to bring back up to the front. Just magnificent.

Total 30
BS: 11; VR: 9; PS; 10 (June 20, 2013 at 2 pm)

So I did content review for 2 months with about 1/3 of the BR passages. I did at least 1 chapter per day. Sometimes 2 on the weekends. Never really took a break day. Got strep throat in the middle of content review so didn't really study for a week because I knew that it wasn't quality studying. So just tried to review a little bit while being miserable. Then spent the last month doing practice tests and reviewing areas I was weak in and doing more practice problems. Tried to follow SN2ed schedule but modified it to fit my learning needs. Which is what you need to do. It's just a guide, modify it to what you need to do.

PS: TBR for primary content and practice then EK for more concise review and TPR workbook for more practice. Also did some EK 1001 for extra practice and content solidification. Self assessments, and the Official Guidebook.

BS: I'm a pharmacist so biology is pretty easy for me. Just had to review molecular biology and genetics. And then of course organic. All you need for this section is EK bio and organic. I love those books. Really, it's all you need for this section. Don't know how to help you on the research type passages &#8211; I just used my experience reading and analyzing journal articles. Self assessment and the Official Guidebook.

VR: EK 101. Did about the first 7 tests &#8211; scores were between 8-11. Was doing ok on the practice tests so didn't really bother too much.

All the AAMC practice tests. Did #3 when I still had about 1/3 of my content left because I started freaking out that all my work for the past 1.5 months wasn't good enough.

#3 25 &#8211; not done with content
#4 31
#5 30
#7 32
#8 31
#9 30
#10 29
#11 32 10/11/11

Pharmacy &#8211; so all the physiology stuff was second nature. I especially loved all the drug mechanism practice passages in the AAMC practice tests. I blew through those so easily. &#61514;

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?So I had the killer Physical Sciences section that was just awful. I had to randomly guess on at least 5 questions because the timer was counting down. I think I even ran out of time to select an answer on the last one. The first passage was super hard. So after that experience my best advice is:
• DO NOT get psyched out by a really tough passage. The test writers know what they are doing and gave us a hard passage that required lots of calculations first.
• In fact, skip the tough time consuming passages and do all the questions you can that require minimal work first then go back and do the tough ones
• DO NOT let a bad section wreck you for the rest of your test! Breathe during your break and eat and drink something. Try to relax. Ignore it and move on. It's done, there's nothing else you can do at this point so focus on the parts of the test that you have left.
As a non-traditional student that has been out of these basic classes for 10+ years, this test is definitely doable. You just have to make it your priority. All I did for 2.5 months was study, work, eat, sleep and workout some. I went out once and that was for a friend's going away party. All my friends were wondering where I have been. It's ok, it's just for a couple months.
• Non-trads &#8211; you MUST do content review if you haven't taken these classes in over a year. Everyone on here harps about practice, which is important but hardcore practice is a waste of time if you don't know content. I remember trying to do a water flow rate problem in physics before I reviewed it and even though I learned a bit from doing the problem and reading the answer explanation, I still had NO idea what was going on.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? About 2.5 months. Got burned out at the end. Wanted to move my test date up but couldn't because there were no test offerings. I studied about 2 hours before work, and about 2 hours after work usually. Then on my off days I would do about 4 hours also but split up.

Last edited:
Ahh I can finally post

1) PS/VR/BS 9/11/11

Created my own study plan based on my needs. Studying when I could from Jan-May then when after finals - June 19.

EK Series for everything
TBR for Chem, Orgo, some Bio
EK 1001 Phys, Chem

EK 1001 will help you nail down the various random topics. TBR will help you with hard questions. Honestly I felt that TBR went into too much depth. The questions were difficult and I never did well on any of them. I wouldn't really recommend TBR BIO because it is WAY to detailed for the purposes of the MCAT. It does have MCAT style questions though (except they are too difficult and I would score about 40%).

All AMCAS Practice Tests
Interestingly my average was ~28 so don't be scared. You can step it up for the real deal

Biology

Obviously I would study harder for PS. Bio seems like Verbal now. My background + EK BIO was sufficient enough. Wish I would have focused more on my weakness of PS. Make your plan for you and not just a standard one

Also, make sure to forget about the previous section because I almost voided after PS but it turned out to be ok in the end

Probably most importantly....SKIP! Skip hard questions. First passage on my test blew my mind and freaked me out but I was determined to get it done. Bad idea.........

About 6 months, but not very hard studying the first 5 due to time commitments

Last edited:
Just read the post above mine and realized we took the same test. Funny how we both said the same thing about PS and the first passage lulz

Status
Not open for further replies.