30 minute lunch break now official at Walgreens nationwide...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly I think that sounds very efficient. Everyone goes on lunch at the same time and the pharmacy doesn't have to deal with running lunches throughout the day.

That would also entail the pharmacy being physically closed. Corporate does not like the word closed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to take a 10 minute dump break each day at work. Nothing better than getting paid to sit on the porcelain.
Probably the most fulfilling ten minutes of the day as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would only support it if the lunch is paid, but it's probably just a backdoor method to lower your base hours and get you to work off the clock during lunch to get caught up

I feel like closing the pharmacy for 30 minutes wouldnt cause a back up at all... There are so many tasks/responsibilities now that isnt strictly associated with just taking prescriptions and filling them. Having that 30 minutes pharmacy closure will allow the pharmacy to catch up with everything.

Ill gladly take a 30 minute pay decrease so i can eat while i catch up with everything. That said I'm at walgreens and have yet to hear about this mythical lunch break.

These states (and Washington DC) have regulations addressing pharmacist or pharmacy staff rest periods (those states with *** by their name do not address pharmacists specifically) according to this document:

Alabama
California
Florida
Massachusetts
Mississippi ***
Montana
North Carolina
New Jersey
Oregon ***
Tennessee
Vermont
Washington DC

If you work at a single-coverage store and have to close and are mid-tier volume like 1800-2000 a week, you probably are going to be significantly behind on weekdays if you have to take a meal break but who cares. Customers are excessively entitled to have unfettered pharmacy accessibility and scripts somehow magically completed 10 minutes after their office visit is done (what about insurance and in-stock status, not to mention the order not being FUBAR by the prescriber?), despite them going to clinics that shut down for lunch and that make you wait 1+ hour in the waiting area for scheduled visits.

Don't like it, go somewhere else. LOL
Alabama here. 13 hour shifts. Never had lunch break. Told to eat while we work.

Here's the part on Alabama. Anytime there's the word "may" corporations be like "**** you"
(1) This rule is to allow pharmacists to have breaks and meal periods without unreasonably impairing the ability of a pharmacy to remain open.

(2) In any pharmacy that is staffed by a single pharmacist, the pharmacist may leave the pharmacy area or department, temporarily, for breaks and meal periods without closing the pharmacy and removing interns/externs and technicians from the pharmacy, if the pharmacist reasonably believes that the security of the controlled substances will be maintained in his or her absence.

(a) If, in the professional judgment of the pharmacist, the pharmacist determines that the pharmacy should be closed during his or her absence, then the pharmacist shall close the pharmacy area or department and remove all interns/externs and technicians from the pharmacy during his or her absence.

Same thing in California. In pharmacists are entitled to rest periods as well as the 30-min meal period but many don't take rest periods (even at Walmart).

I feel like closing the pharmacy for 30 minutes wouldnt cause a back up at all... There are so many tasks/responsibilities now that isnt strictly associated with just taking prescriptions and filling them. Having that 30 minutes pharmacy closure will allow the pharmacy to catch up with everything.

Ill gladly take a 30 minute pay decrease so i can eat while i catch up with everything. That said I'm at walgreens and have yet to hear about this mythical lunch break.

I’m not sure they could make it an unpaid 30 minute lunch unless you’re “hourly”. If it was “unpaid”, the pharmacy would need to close for the 30 minutes, to continue classifying people as “salaried”.

I’m not sure they could make it an unpaid 30 minute lunch unless you’re “hourly”. If it was “unpaid”, the pharmacy would need to close for the 30 minutes, to continue classifying people as “salaried”.
ya thats what i meant tho, like close down the pharmacy for 30 minutes. So i can catch up with stuff while i eat without more stuff building up, because having a 30 minute break without closing the pharmacy does nothing except delaying work.