30 Y.O. Top-Tier European MBA in Med Tech w/ MD Dreams -> PostBac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdg203

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm a 30 year-old graduate of a top-tier European MBA working in financial administration for a med tech startup in Germany. However, both my work and a recent personal relationship have had me thinking hard about medicine again since last fall.

Medicine isn't a new idea. At the College of William and Mary in Virginia I had dabbled in the sciences briefly, only to switch to accounting - which I quickly hated. After graduation, while working in insurance in Connecticut, I became a certified EMT in my free time. Then, after a work move back to Washington, DC, I started the Science in the Evening Program at the University of Maryland. There, I completed three biology classes and one chemistry class - all As. With those courses, my undergraduate GPA is close to 3.5. However, I had always wanted to live abroad, and after learning I could become a dual EU citizen, I found myself choosing between further studies in the evening program and the adventure. I decided to go for the adventure, did the MBA thing (3.8 GPA), and now live and work in Munich.

Obviously, how I proceed next depends on geography. Let's say I go back stateside. Would you all recommend a postbac program for me, and if so, what would you say my chances might be of entering one?

Hope this makes sense. I realize this all likely sounds batsh*t crazy.

Sincerely,

gdg203

Members don't see this ad.

Well you definitely have an interesting background with a wide range of experiences. Have you completed all of the prereqs? What is your BCPM gpa?

How much volunteering and shadowing have you done? Your background wouldn't be a problem, but you need to demonstrate a continuing interest in medicine and service.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. I have not completed all the pre-reqs. This is what I have as far as courses are concerned:

- Intro Biology: A
- Microbiology: A
- Cell Biology: A
- Inorganic Chemistry I: A (done that twice, actually)
- Calculus: B
- Statistics: B

So, the BCPM GPA would be 3.7? Obviously there is a lot missing here, and what was last completed was in 2015...

2. I had previously done some shadowing when I was stateside, but that was also some years ago. Hesitate to say this, but I also did a ton of journal research on abortion for a past job as a lobbyist in Washington trying to ascertain the risk of different procedures.

I have inquired into becoming the equivalent of an EMT here, but it isn't possible without quitting my job; different country, different system. I have also thought about writing some doctors here and asking if I could shadow, but am wondering how that might come across; medicine here is only done in a straight-through, six-year program starting from undergraduate. I've read a number of books on medical practice, and have followed some online seminars and such, but I realize that probably isn't going to be enough.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dude stay in your current job. Being a doctor is not worth giving up your 30s.

1. I have not completed all the pre-reqs. This is what I have as far as courses are concerned:

- Intro Biology: A
- Microbiology: A
- Cell Biology: A
- Inorganic Chemistry I: A (done that twice, actually)
- Calculus: B
- Statistics: B

So, the BCPM GPA would be 3.7? Obviously there is a lot missing here, and what was last completed was in 2015...

2. I had previously done some shadowing when I was stateside, but that was also some years ago. Hesitate to say this, but I also did a ton of journal research on abortion for a past job as a lobbyist in Washington trying to ascertain the risk of different procedures.

I have inquired into becoming the equivalent of an EMT here, but it isn't possible without quitting my job; different country, different system. I have also thought about writing some doctors here and asking if I could shadow, but am wondering how that might come across; medicine here is only done in a straight-through, six-year program starting from undergraduate. I've read a number of books on medical practice, and have followed some online seminars and such, but I realize that probably isn't going to be enough.

Hope this answers your questions.
What did you get the 1st time you took Inorganic chemistry? Whatever you received, average that with your latest grade. Shadowing abroad is not a bad thing (unless a surgeon hands you a scalpel) but it is not as valuable as shadowing here in the US if you wish to study medicine here in the US.

If you move back to the states, then I think you should enter a DIY postbac and finish the rest of your prereqs and maybe a few more class with A's. While you're doing that, you need to shadow, volunteer, and gain more clinical experience. If you're interested, try research too and don't forget your hobbies.

Your MBA will be considered a soft factor in your application. This isn't to say that it won't help but your 3.8 GPA in a graduate program abroad will not compensate for your undergraduate GPA. That being said, your cGPA isn't bad (mean cGPA for admitted students is a 3.78 +/- 0.02) and your sGPA is above the mean. Continued strong academic performance in your postbac classes and a strong showing on your MCAT will help you out. In terms of chances, you're going to have to be very targeted with your schools, and your state of residence, but you certainly have a chance. As a caveat, I think it is important to know going into this that currently 60k people apply to medical schools year year for about 20k seats. Competition is fierce.

As for postbac programs, you have a lot of options. You could opt for a formal program. These tend to be full-time but will get you through the common required prereqs in one year. The downside is that they typically are quite expensive and admit very few students (Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Scripps, etc). You may be ineligible for some programs since you already have completed two prereqs but that is something you can look into. Another option is to enroll in a university as either a postbaccalaurate student/second bachelors student and take the required classes that you are missing. Some programs will only offer classes during the day, others will offer classes at night. In the non-trad forum, the DIY approach tends to be more common because of availability, cost, and ability to continue working (this is the route I took). You can find these at most state universities, extension schools, and many private schools. You can look on the forums to compare costs, benefits, etc. When I looked at postbac programs, I knew that 1. I needed to continue working and 2. I needed advising. I was able to find a program near by that offered both of those things.

You're looking at about two years of classes to finish the prereqs depending on enrollment rules and summer course offerings. You could accelerate this, of course, but figure two years for prereqs, mcat, and your ECs before you're ready to apply. That would put you at 32 when you're applying, 33 when you could matriculate, graduating at 37, and practicing around between 39-43+ depending on specialty. As for whether or not this is a crazy idea, that is up to you. Your age is certainly not the oldest we have on the forums, and you will find that many folks are doing this. But there are tradeoffs to pursuing a career change in your 30s. I will be matriculating at 30 this august and even though i'm looking at 7+ years of school/training on top of the 3 years doing a postbac and the 2 years I spent earning a masters degree prior to that, I am stoked to be able to do this.

Reactions: 2 users
You sound like a good candidate for the Bryn Mawr program: Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program | Bryn Mawr College

Thank you kindly for your mention of this program. While I am really hesitant to do something formal, it is going to be really hard to transition from Germany, get a job somewhere stateside, and take the needed night classes in a timely manner. This would be a much more efficient route...should I decide to return stateside.

@GreenDuck12, thank you, too, for your thoughtful response.

Last edited:
As a medical student who already had an MBA when I entered, MBAs don't mean much to med schools. That being said, they're quite valuable once you actually start practicing.

Reactions: 1 user